Ice hockey?

chady

Does any one on here play or go and watch?

I took my boys to Nottingham ice skating arena today where the Nottingham panthers play,

Thought after my lads loved it to take them to see them play.

So I put it in you tube! Nottingham panthers...

Well I've even less fights and punch up's at a millwall vrs any other London team!!

What's all that about! Every five minutes, they even put music on like eye of the tiger when they start trying to kill each other.....

What's that all about 🤔😳🙄😂😳

Big big part of hockey mates play been to watch the Devils many times rec hockey doesnt see much fighting as the refs are pretty quickly in but it's a choice to drop gloves you can skate away ......

Cracking film about it "Goon" watch it without the boys, sequel due out soon

Edited by HDAV

The Canadians have a saying. "I once went to a fight and a game of hockey broke out."

It's a violent sport, they even have an unofficial player position, "enforcer", sometimes called a goon" whose job is basically fighting. There's a comedy movie called Goon, well worth a watch if you can find a copy.

I've never been to a match but I know at one point going to see the Sheffield Steelers was reckoned to be a great night out. The atmosphere at the games was supposed to be terrific.

Its a hard fast very skillful game with a dose of violence thrown in, used to love watching the play offs for the Stanley cup late nights on channel 5, the scrapping doesn't normally last long both players get sent to the penalty box and no one dives, sport like it should be.

When is it on??

If you watch the film The last gladiators the largely blame the film slap shot for escalating violence in the sport

As I understand providing it's 1 on 1 neither has the upper hand and neither is on the floor the they are allowed to get on with it

Don't think there are any formal rules about it more a case of there aren't any against it

We've been to watch the Bristol pit bulls a few years ago and had a great night out

Bristol ice rink is closed now though but I belive there are plans for a new 1

Young blood with Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze is a good ice hockey film also the The Mighty Ducks. Have a cousin who plays and years ago when younger I used to skate a bit some of my mates played. The skating is second nature and they don't think about it just playing the game. Not like us mere mortals trying to stay upright takes up enough concentration :lol:

I'm going to see if the wife wants to take the kids Saturday as the panthers are playing at home:)

To. E fair I have never seen any vilance in the crowd that seams very friendly for wife's and kids.

And I surpose it's a way for the blokes to get the hormones out.

I'm getting quite excited 😊

do you really think, in this day and age of regulation and control, that real violence in a sport would be accepted and encouraged?

its like a pantomime, so contrived its unbelievable, they all have a laugh and a beer afterwards.

I watch MMA on a regular basis, sporting violence doesn't get much realer than that. Or perhaps you think that's fake too?

Ice hockey is perhaps the last bastion of a violent "non'combat" sport. They have their own code of conduct but those punches are definitely real.

you believe what you want, its so obvious when they start on each other for no reason, trust me, its a sham and staged, and they love each other really.

Hmmm, so when you give a "fact" and I disprove it, I'm the one that is believing what I want to?

I've seen MMA fighters molly wop da **** outa each other for the first 2 rounds then come out at the start of the 3rd round, give each other a hug and then go back at it like a pair of crazed pit bulls. Some people just like a fight and for them it's all fun and games and afterwards there are no hard feelings. They'll shake hands, go and have a beer together and laugh about it.

But you're entitled to your opinion . . . no matter how wrong it is.

No, I didn't confirm anything you said.

You claim the fights are set ups and afterwards the players go for a beer.

I say the fights are real but afterwards the players will go for a beer.

I don't claim to understand that mentality but I know there are plenty of people out there that have it. Some people just like to fight, for them it's fun. Win or lose they won't hold a grudge.

Figts in IH are expected, but that's a whole lot different to them being staged as they are in professional wrestling. No one is saying "OK guys in the 23rd minute it's gloves off and let's brawl time". Are there guys looking for confrontation? Yes for sure, and for different reasons. But if two enforcers square off one wants to be the alpha male, neither of them is taking a rehearsed dive.

Interesting article here. I doubt you'll read it though because clearly you have your blast shield down on this issue but I'll post it anyway.

.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16383129

The thing is that not everybody fights in Ice Hockey (particularly in the NHL). It's the job of the enforcers to look after the prima donnas and they are he ones that, in general, do the fighting. They also have a strict code of conduct - no hitting a man when he has taken a clean knockout, no sticks etc. Rugby was a bit like that until it got cleaned up (unfortunately imo).