Help a newcomer - Caesar Guerini Summit

duke748

So,

Been sitting here twiddling my thumbs whilst i wait for SGC grant to come through, reading and re-reading all the advice on a first gun until my eyes and brain are bleeding.

I've had several lessons since Christmas at Northall CPC,and had a bit of struggle at first as i have no dominant eye ( Validated by eye test at optician ) , so have really struggled to hit anything with both eyes open. Seeing double clays, barrels etc.

With left eye shut ( I'm right handed ) i can hit 95% of right to left targets, but was struggling to acquire left to right - Solved that by having both open to acquire the bird, then closing my left at the last second.

So here comes the crunch question - As said, been looking at options whilst i wait for the grant. I'm 6ft, 15 stone and reading on it the options always touted are the Browning's 525 or 725, Berettas ( Silver pigeon I'd guess ) etc, but the Caesar Guerini Summit caught my eye.

I'd like to spend up to 2k, but will push to 2.5 if necessary.

So with that budget in mind, plus lack of eye dominance, plus how green I am when it comes to buying a gun - Are those options any good?

There is nowhere around me that has a range with one to test ( I'm in Sussex ) - so i guess i'd have to look further afield

-Ben

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried a CG summit and loved it I ended buying a SH Perazzi though but if I hadn't of come across that the CG would be in my cabinet now.. not a fan of the silver pig, Berettas just don't feel right to me but I would go and try a 725 as they're very good..At the end of the day though brand and make is less important that fit and feel, my mate shoots his Baikal better than his DT10 and that's the gun he uses most often.

You need to go somewhere where you can get good advice on fitment, it's worth travelling for!

Edited by Wingman

At the sort of money you are talking about, the World is your oyster.

Around £1500 you could have an almost new Beretta 682E Gold, Browning 525, Caesar Guerini, or a Miroku MK38 grade 5.

I believe that the Miroku offers more gun for the money than any of the others.

You will not go wrong with any of those - just get the one that fits best. I would not buy new - the minute you fire your first shell - it is a used gun.

Guns is like shoes, some look smashing but hurt your feet, Nice brand but barn door holding the handle

Some look not so pleasing but are never off your feet., not perhaps the name you want but you can hit what you are looking at,

Go to a place/shop/ground that will let you shoot them first, take a friend who is a shooter with you to combat any sales dude giving it "you are moving your gun lovely" made for each other etc.

buy the gun you break most/are most comfy with.

If you put up your location somebody will suggest a shop.

Have you tried the refurbished gun room at Southdown Gun Club in Findon?

Funny enough - I tried to get up there yesterday, but having never been before, realised i should have taken the missus's 4x4 and turned around after going just past the farm and all the machinery - My car just isn't suited to that road ( If you can call it that - More potholes than surface i swear )

Edited by duke748

If you put up your location somebody will suggest a shop.

I'm in Mid-Sussex ( Burgess Hill ) - Looked at the shops around and it looks like Southdown is the only place that has somewhere where you can actually test fire in Sussex. I'll ping them and see if he have any CG to play with

Go to a place/shop/ground that will let you shoot them first, take a friend who is a shooter with you to combat any sales dude giving it "you are moving your gun lovely" made for each other etc.

I'm billy no-mates in the gun world. No-one i know shoots.

I'm in Mid-Sussex ( Burgess Hill ) - Looked at the shops around and it looks like Southdown is the only place that has somewhere where you can actually test fire in Sussex. I'll ping them and see if he have any CG to play with

Chris Potters at Tunbridge Wells always used to be able to get guns to West Kent Shooting School to try out.

01892 522208

This is now, you will have plenty soon enough.

Local club?

Aye 15 mins away - Northall in East Sussex.

Been going mid-week in lunch hour and popping in some 30 min lessons, which doesn't really give me a chance to sit and chat with people. It's pretty quiet Mid-week as well ( The weekend lessons tend to be booked out pretty solidly )

Hopefully that'll all change in the future.

I get up there occasionally, if Im going up I'll give you a shout and you can try mine.

As mentioned, Chris potter will let you try a gun (depending on gun) at west Kent. Southdown have a few guns in stock now, I will be at Southdown on Thursday with a silver pigeon if you fancy a go.

Mike

Thanks for the kind offer gents - Sadly I can't take you up on Thursday Seadog as I'm in London that day, but the offer is appreciated and would have been taken up..

Mr.C. please let me know next time you head up to Northall.

-Ben

I wouldn't spend too much on your first gun -- your shooting is still 'changing' an it's likely your 'fit' right now won't fit in a few months. I picked a gorgeous B25 as a first gun (the opportunity arrived, and it did fit me well then) and shot it for over 6 months before realizing it was a bit too short for me. Switched to the Guerini (mine is the Invictus V) and it made a huge difference. Now even dry-mounting the Browning feel a bit awkward, and I'm going to sell it.

Otherwise all the recommendations you had will do, Miroku are indeed fantastic guns for the money -- however I would also recommend Guerini as if they fit you, they will /all/ fit you. Just make sure it's in good nick, and on older Guerinis, it's worth checking that the foreend is not rattling, some of the very early imports had a small issue there. Altho you can get it fixed pretty quickly as I've heard that SG does it for you.

You basically just described my situation. I'm waiting for my licence, read twice every bit of info I can get regarding my first gun and can't decide. I've been to look at a MK38 that was really nice but I'm not convinced it fit me right. I really like the Beretta 690's but hear mixed things about them and there's nowhere I can try one. I'd love a DT11 or Perazzi but my budget is £2000 although I could go higher if I can hide it from the mrs! I also have no mates that are in to shooting, although everyone I've met shooting has been really welcoming. And (i'm not making this up!) I also have issues with eye dominance, I have to really force my right eye to take charge but I can have issues with seeing 2 barrels or 2 clays. It's a shame you're in Sussex, I'm in Worcester.

It's a shame you're in Sussex, I'm in Worcester.

Sorry to divert the thread a bit but living in Worcester means you have options. My advice would be to contact either Carl Bloxham, north of you, or Steve Nutbeam (Longridge), south of you and get an hour or two with an expert at nominal cost before making such a big decision. Alternatively you could visit Ian Coley Shooting School near Cheltenham, they have a big stock and several demo guns along with knowledgeable staff.

Sorry to divert the thread a bit but living in Worcester means you have options. My advice would be to contact either Carl Bloxham, north of you, or Steve Nutbeam (Longridge), south of you and get an hour or two with an expert at nominal cost before making such a big decision. Alternatively you could visit Ian Coley Shooting School near Cheltenham, they have a big stock and several demo guns along with knowledgeable staff.

Thanks so much for the info. So Steve Nutbeam is at Longridge but where is Carl Bloxham? I've looked at Ian Coley's website but the prices seem a bit on the high-side, although the setup seems very professional.

You basically just described my situation. I'm waiting for my licence, read twice every bit of info I can get regarding my first gun and can't decide. I've been to look at a MK38 that was really nice but I'm not convinced it fit me right. I really like the Beretta 690's but hear mixed things about them and there's nowhere I can try one. I'd love a DT11 or Perazzi but my budget is £2000 although I could go higher if I can hide it from the mrs! I also have no mates that are in to shooting, although everyone I've met shooting has been really welcoming. And (i'm not making this up!) I also have issues with eye dominance, I have to really force my right eye to take charge but I can have issues with seeing 2 barrels or 2 clays. It's a shame you're in Sussex, I'm in Worcester.

The CG Summit appeals because of the lack of eye dominance and the raised rib.

Was thinking it may help with focus?

Had some good news today - FEO said he'd be around Thursday ( I only applied a few weeks ago ) - Sussex Police have been nothing but efficient in all my dealings so far.

The CG Summit appeals because of the lack of eye dominance and the raised rib.

Was thinking it may help with focus?

Had some good news today - FEO said he'd be around Thursday ( I only applied a few weeks ago ) - Sussex Police have been nothing but efficient in all my dealings so far.

That's a really fast turnaround. West Mercia took 9 months just for the visit. Edited by SportingJohn

Have you shot the Cg? If not, then look out for a demo day, they take all there range to a ground and let you have a go, there is one at orston in leicstershire at the end of may,many other gum makers attending that day. I know its a hike but for the uncommitted they are good value