Anyone been trout fishing over the weekend ?

Ferret664

Well done on those fish. How about giving us the tying pattern Westley? There are some fly tyers on here (I'm one)

Tight Lines

Aled

Thanks for that. The pattern is as follows :-

Kamasan B175 or any standard wet fly hook. Tail, 6/8 Bronze Mallard fibres. Fine gold oval tinsel rib. Seals fur dubbed body, 50/50 yellow , then red (to thorax). Wind on rib. 2/3 turns of red cock hackle at head (stroked back over body). Then bronze Mallard fibres rolled around the head and stroked back over the body, then a small bunch of bronze mallard forming a wing over the top of the body. The Mallard fibres should be rolled around the hook giving a longish, soft hackle effect all around the body, topped by a small bunch, creating a wing.

I have created a better 'look' by using a more silvered Mallard as the rolled hackle and a darker more brown colour for the top wing. (I think this probably attracts the tyer more than the fish though !).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cracking sounding fly Westley.

Tight Lines

Aled

Thanks, I have tied up a few more today, substituting the red 'cock' hackle for a red 'hen'. I will continue to use the cock hackles for the dry version and the hen hackles for the wets. I have used slightly longer barbs on the hen, to reach past the hook bend, this should give a bit more movement underwater. We will see ?

Did anyone wet a line over the weekend ? I went to grafham yesterday and while the weather was beautiful the fishing wasn't 9 hours and only had one tug on buzzers . Didn't have a fish between 4 of us :( was a little bit of algae about which didn't help .

Edited by Ferret664

I went looking for sea trout on Friday evening, still a bit cold, so no action. Did however see one of around 8lb above the Bridge on Saturday afternoon. Also my mate caught a salmon of around 14lb on Thursday, which he put back in line with NRW rules.

Tight Lines

Aled

Did Grafham on the bank yesterday.

Started on the dam with fish moving all over the place so quite hopeful. Nuffink, nada, zilch except for one little tug on a buzzer and nothing for two other anglers.

Went round to Church Hill where it was clagged up with algae and a few minutes with a cats whisker yielded nothing.

Walked round to Deep Water Point where it was clear but, again, nothing on buzzer, nymph, Pitsford Pea or cats whisker.

Saw one chap catch one from a boat.

I blame the EU :|

Edited by KFC

Fished the river on Friday evening caught four brown trout on greenwell & an olive mayfly, largest around 3/4 pound.

Hung about for an hour or so after dark hoping to catch a seatrout butbas already mentioned it was a tad too cold.

Local lad caught a 10lb salmon during the flood using a shrimp on a trebble hook. The fish was returned.

I'm planning on going out tomorrow night the temprature should sustain double figures after dark so hoping for the best.

hello, had a guest day on the river kennet yesterday, very warm but a good may fly hatch, 4 wild browns, son had 6 and a rainbow, note i would not pay the usual fee as those that know in mayfly time prices are hiked up on such rivers, anyone thinking they would like to fish a day on holiday or living around newbury/reading/salisbury can get a course ticket and fish 3/4 of the avon and nadder in salisbury city for a tenner,

Funny old day on a boat at Rutland yeserday.

Started off at Old Hall where, two days previously from the bank I had lots of knocks on Nymph but only one hook-up which I lost half way to the net.

After a while I landed a Rainbow on a black buzzer and my buddy hooked up but lost it. It went quiet so we moved around without a touch.

As the day went on the wind got pretty uncomfortable so we moved into the North Arm and the lee of some trees just west of Carrot Creek.

By this time desperation had set in so I put a white cat's whisker on. After a few casts I landed a Brownie, it had taken the lure pretty deep so it was added to the bag.

I changed to an Olive Goldhead Hopper #12 and soon had another Rainbow in the bag.

Next cast my line stopped solid then the fish bored off down into weed. I managed to get it out but the fish kept boring for the bottom so I had a good idea what it was. After one more wrestle with the fish in weed I finally managed to get it on the surface to reveal what I suspected, a 7lb Pike!

That was released easily in the net and then on the very next cast another take that felt like a stocky. Next thing I know the line was shooting off the reel as the fish bored off for a repeat performance of the prevous catch and another 7lb Pike! No, it wasn't the same one.

After I had released it I could imagine it having a conversation with the previous Pike saying "Ere, you'll never guess what's just 'appened to me!!!!" and the other Pike replying "Don't tell me, net, boat, weird looking bald-headed geezer?"

Life's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

I too fished rutland yesterday.. I had 12 to my rod on deep buzzers along the sailing club and lodge frontage, my boat partner had 4 using similar methods but I think the reason why he couldn't catch was because he couldn't keep control of his flies so deep in the wind

• 2 weeks later...

Went out last night full of confidence, river has fallen to a nice level for sea trout fishing.......saw 1 salmon turn, and my mate saw one sewin turn. One heavy knock, and that was it, Very disappointed I did not at least see a few sea trout. After the conditions we've had they should be here now.

Tight Lines

Aled

I went to Derwent Reservoir (Northumbrian Water) on Saturday, only got one touch all day and landed a single rainbow on a fritz lure.

Exactly the same for my Dad. We moved all over the fly side of the reservoir but neither of us could get another take. Not a thing rising and wasn't all that surprised given how bright and hot it was all day!

Tight lines

Water level very low here too

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Grafham on Sunday was really hard and very windy . Was told by rangers to try a bit of back drifting lures first so tried that . No luck with the trout but did land my first every zander betwwen 2-3lb so was pleased with that . Ended up catching one lovely overwintered 3lb rainbow on a Daiwl bach but that was it 10 hours fishing for a trout and a zander . Still fantastic to be out been over 5 weeks since my last trip so really enjoyed it .

Tight lines

Ferret

My club waters consist of a trout lake ,fly only, and a coarse lake that is basically full of rudd which go up to about 1.5 pounds ad carp averaging about 7 pounds but up to around 20 , both waters are lightly fished I hardly ever see others over there.

The trout lake fishes really well when it is cold in March and April then gradually slows down and is dead by mid June as they disappear into the depths to sulk, I am not a fan of fishing really deep sinking lines etc, so over to the carp lake for some surface action with the bread or dog biscuit fly !

Not one for the purists I know but a lot of fun , a good bit of sport to be had in between the trout slowing down and the game shooting season starting.

if you get the chance give it a try .

All the best.