OBD II gizmo

saddler

Engine amber light of doom has appeared, a.k.a., "report to the nearest stealership!"

Having edumacated myself on YouTube for the past year or so, courtesy of a Canadian chap (BOLTR a.k.a AVE)....I'm aware of the existence of OBD II units.

Question is: Are any OBD II units more worthy of £££ investment than others?

I've seen a few online for £10 or so.

Any recommendations, or ones to avoid?

Looking forward to plugging her in & flexing the digits...but only the tip & just for a minute!

I have an autel one and it's been good for the money I paid for it.

It has found faults but not pinpointed them, for example on my e91 it told me what cylinder was misfiring but not why.

Not sure if more expensive units will give you the exact cause but I have saved myself and mates some money using one.

The simpler ones will give you a code number,

The better ones will give you a code and suggest a list of possible faults,

The better, more complex, more expensive ones, will help you narrow down the fault.

With certain faults they can be triggered by a minor blip in the electrics that trips a light and stores a reported fault code,

Sometimes a simple reset is all that's needed, until it's tripped again or it trips regularly/repeatedly then it's time for action.

Been using a smartphone app called torque for a good few years now, its about a fiver off the android playstore.

Couple it up with a bluetooth OBD interface at a tenner, and you have a very powerful diagnostic tool.

Obviously it wont go too deep, but its done some very surprising things, read key faults, clears all kinds of codes, and gets regular support /updates.

Been using a smartphone app called torque for a good few years now, its about a fiver off the android playstore.

Couple it up with a bluetooth OBD interface at a tenner, and you have a very powerful diagnostic tool.

Obviously it wont go too deep, but its done some very surprising things, read key faults, clears all kinds of codes, and gets regular support /updates.

Yea, been seeing a few of the Bluetooth type plug in units on the web.

May try one of these as they seem to be more user friendly & have a better interface design than an lcd type reader which provides fault codes.

Actually cleared the light earlier today (disconnected the battery for 10 mins) but still want to grsb an OBD device for possible future issues.

Not a big outlay considering the peace of mind & stealership savings they provide. A wierd gizmo that pays for itself the first time you need it!

That's what I've used, think there's a new torque app out now though. I'd rate it for a tenner in total

The phone app and Bluetooth obd plug is Super Skookum for when she lets the shmoo out. Keep your stick on the ice.

Ah...another viewer of the vij-ey-oes!

Ordered a Bluetooth unit for under £4 delivered & will use the free copy of torque for initial R&D.

Repeat after me "A grinder & paint makes me the welder I ain't"

Did you get on the confuser to order it?

Ha ha one of the funniest most intelligent blokes on the net full post hole diggered up. Just the tip mind you and only for a minute. Now I'm off to finish my favourite libation.

Most of his saying would have the swear filter going nuts.

Did you watch the vi je yo of him making a mains powered personal massager battery powered? My wife thought something was wrong with me laughing all the time. Got to watch them pixies.

Edited by figgy

Yep but went for big boy petrol powered version that will chooch a mature hedgerow.

Even the mrs is saying son of a diddly :lol: engage the safety squints.

Put a link to a few. I think most on here will like him. Do you watch the Samurai Carpenter and Alec Steele. I think ditchy on here could be Colin Furze.

Don't let the smoke out.

The £4 (or mid £3 really) unit is Bluetooth based.

Plugs into the socket on the car dash & interfaces with your chosen OBD software download.

Seems to favour Android based programs.

Some are free download for the basic version of the package.

The Ipod options are different, as stated above...but still cheap enough to make getting one a no brainer.

I have a £4 bluetooth OBDII unit that works with my windows phone but I tend to wander outside with the laptop and connect with that via bluetooth instead. There are several free apps for the laptop which allow engine and sensor monitoring, code reading and resetting and is altogether easier to read than a phone app.

She's choochin....

Partial success to start with. ...due to phone Bluetooth not being open to non-paired devices.

Soon as that was sorted it started flashing up the data.

Got a code error PO171

System too lean . Bank 1.

Made a note then told it to kill the warning light.

Light now but a distant memory...

Treated her to a fivers worth of go juice to celebrate. Hang the expense!

Will see what size hammer I'll need to make 'er keep the smoke IN...

Total outlay to diagnose the orange report to the stealership for urgent wallet lightening: about 3.89 Scottish pesos.

Every home should have one!

Aside from the error code diagnostic it also has speedo readings, vacuum settings, all sorts of data that only a oilly rag sniffer would know to ask about.

Edited by saddler

She's choochin....

Partial success to start with. ...due to phone Bluetooth not being open to non-paired devices.

Soon as that was sorted it started flashing up the data.

Got a code error PO171

System too lean . Bank 1.

Made a note then told it to kill the warning light.

Light now but a distant memory...

Treated her to a fivers worth of go juice to celebrate. Hang the expense!

Will see what size hammer I'll need to make 'er keep the smoke IN...

Total outlay to diagnose the orange report to the stealership for urgent wallet lightening: about 3.89 Scottish pesos.

Every home should have one!

Aside from the error code diagnostic it also has speedo readings, vacuum settings, all sorts of data that only a oilly rag sniffer would know to ask about.

p0171 fault code erased but fault stil there till lambda sensor goes out of range and logs fault puts eml light on. no fault with sensor air leak on induction side split breather bad injector a whole host of faults can create this fault code 30 quid code reader wont give live data just switches light off then valves burn out or other faults cumulate in time

p0171 fault code erased but fault stil there till lambda sensor goes out of range and logs fault puts eml light on. no fault with sensor air leak on induction side split breather bad injector a whole host of faults can create this fault code 30 quid code reader wont give live data just switches light off then valves burn out or other faults cumulate in time

Not JUST got it to turn off the light.

Will be replacing/cleaning MAF etc. & checking for air leaks, fuel line issues & the like.

Unit was a touch over £3, nowhere near £30.

AND it DOES give live data.

Other than that, you're spot on