stripping varnished wood

ditchman

Since the advent of "ealf & saftey"..................nitromors has gone to the dogs (stuff from B&Q anyway)

whats the best stuff to use to strip a non descrip walnut stock of its cracked rubbishy varnish.......................

cheers

ditch

B&Q do there own, its in a white bottle, a couple of coats then wash of and wire wool , . the stubborn bits then use a stannley blade to scrape the rest of . the good thing about the B&Q is it does not smell when using it .

right i will give it a go next week ....im in no rush.......with what i can see of it (pics) if i first apply a darker rubbing oil to it ....the swerls in the wood will become more noticable...

first have to strip it of that "polyarmoured " finish.....

right i will give it a go next week ....im in no rush.......with what i can see of it (pics) if i first apply a darker rubbing oil to it ....the swerls in the wood will become more noticable...

first have to strip it of that "polyarmoured " finish.....

If we are talking about the dark grain swirls in the wood UNDER the varnish, I have had good results with alkanet root oil, AFTER removing the varnish. The alkanet root oil will enhance the colour of the wood, apply daily until the desired colour is achieved.

If we are talking about the dark grain swirls in the wood UNDER the varnish, I have had good results with alkanet root oil, AFTER removing the varnish. The alkanet root oil will enhance the colour of the wood, apply daily until the desired colour is achieved.

will do that.............. :good:

You can still get proper Nitromores you just have to know where to get it. http://www.carrestorationpaints.co.uk/ not listed on the site but they sell it at the car shows they go to.

cheers....i was thinking of getting the cac stuff ...really thick coat and then wrapping the wood in cling film for 2-3 hours ... :hmm:

We used Klingstrip in the house to remove multiple layers of paint. It is like a putty you stick over what you want to strip you then cover in clingfilm and leave for a day or so. TADA off it all comes no trouble. Only real problem was the ancient paint in our house, some of it became very liquid when we striped it off and we had pools of liquid what looked like liquid poo running down the walls and pooling on the floor. Don't get it on your hands as it is a bit stingy.

i have some brass wire brushes (soft) like tooth brush , that i will use on that ..

Nooooooooooooo ! Just stick to a stiff toothbrush and some white spirit, then follow the original lines of the chequering, first one direction and then the other. The nylon bristles will do less damage than even the softest metal brush and you will be surprised just how much dirt there will be coming out. You may need to do this a few times, but it is well worth while taking your time. The same will apply later when you start to prepare the wood for oiling, DO NOT be tempted to rush things or it will be 1 step forwards and 2 BACK !

• 2 weeks later...

Having experienced the new rubbish nitromors recently. I just bought Bartoline stuff from Morrisons for the same purpose to strip a partially varnished stock. I'll prob do it over the weekend so will report on how good it was. I have also bought surgical spirit for cleaning dirt/oil from the exposed non varnished parts. Then will treat it with the trade secrets three oil pack which has the alkanet oil included.

Edited by Andra