got an itch.....

ips

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So do you think my 25yd grouping or rather lack of could be down to using 6 mag with relatively thick crosshairs. This evening it seemed ever so slightly tighter and at 15yds was punching a ragged hole. I think its leading in now but not right yet. Forget anything I did with the now dead 3-9x40 that doesn't count 😉

I posted this so you could see what your ultra is capable of .and better with better conditions .

The 6 x mag is too low for groups this size +25 yds reliably

I shot the above on 10 x mag .

I not a big believer of barrels needing to be leaded .but a clean through with a patch could be worth it especially on a new gun

As I suspected, the 6 mag is not doing it for me. I am confident that the ultra is capable but I need get it together. If things don't improve I will clean the barrell but from my experience they need a thousand through before the rifling gets calmed down.

Ok perfect conditions sat down using windowsill as a rest, felt like I was at the Olympics!!

Three targets three ranges 19.5,23.5 and 27.5 metres.

Using 10* mag to begin with no hold over just aiming centre.

Seemed to be pulling everything left with the odd hicup the odd one on second target was me holding over one mil dot.

Feeling the pressure now cranked up the mag to 14 three clicks right and away we go, one two then the final 27.5 cranked it up to 18 any movement feels enormous holding over one mil dot all good then pulled the last shot.

Just need a chair everywhere I go 😊

O yeah ten year old crossman accu pell 5.5

Think you will struggle on a fixed 6 mag with thick cross hairs, that's why I said about fixing the rifle and seeing if it groups which I imagine it will.

I used to have an 8*56 cracking clear pic great light gathering but tried doing some field target, could barely make out some of the targets, makes you better at stalking tho

The saga continues....

Before I gave up completely on my now dead tried and tested scope 3-9x40 I thought I would inspect it fully which I had not done the other evening as I was too frustrated to care. Anyway it seems that what happened was the front ring had come loose and the parralax had gone out. I have re parralaxed it so 9 is just about usable at 25 and 5 just about usable at 10. On refitting to gun using the same match mounts from the other day I noticed that for some reason these mounts do not fit the rail properly subsequently as you tighten them the scope is set to one side (that answers why I had to adjust the windage a lot the other day when I removed it from the lighting) seems perfectly aligned now using different mounts. So when I get the chance I will see if we can get it grouping with more mag.

I think the mount issue is what one would class as a "school boy error" 😁

Was only having a laugh nothing meant with malice :innocent:

AA 410 was my favourite pcp and had a few.

Have you tightened the scope down in turn and level...............

:whistling:

The saga continues....

Before I gave up completely on my now dead tried and tested scope 3-9x40 I thought I would inspect it fully which I had not done the other evening as I was too frustrated to care. Anyway it seems that what happened was the front ring had come loose and the parralax had gone out. I have re parralaxed it so 9 is just about usable at 25 and 5 just about usable at 10. On refitting to gun using the same match mounts from the other day I noticed that for some reason these mounts do not fit the rail properly subsequently as you tighten them the scope is set to one side (that answers why I had to adjust the windage a lot the other day when I removed it from the lighting) seems perfectly aligned now using different mounts. So when I get the chance I will see if we can get it grouping with more mag.

I think the mount issue is what one would class as a "school boy error"

We have all been there :rolleyes:

:whistling:

We have all been there :rolleyes:

I never gave it a thought, I have used these mounts on numerous other rifles and they are the right size for the rib but they don't tighten up square, very strange. I wondered why the windage was miles out but as I say I never gave it a thought. Obviously I checked the crosshairs were plumb level but didn't notice the fact that the whole scope was not central 😞

Not had chance to shoot it as not been home long but hope to tomorrow so will report back 👍

You still might not shoot great groups with a 6mag but you should get grouping now everything is on right.

Hunting wise you should be ok, the small chalk targets you can get are fun ten pence piece size ish, you hit they blow up, you miss they don't.

It easy to think you have to have tiny groups but knowing your pellet is going where your aiming is the main thing