Biggest Swing

lord_seagrave

Perhaps this is more of an amusement arcade topic, but here goes.

We took Little Lord Seagrave to a playground near the Digswell Viaduct, and, as well as the standard kiddie equipment there were some fairly good-sized swings for bigger kids.

I had a go, obbo.

Now I probably got a good 10' high on these, at least level with the top bar, and it made me wonder where is the biggest 'self propelling' swing in the world, and is there mathematically/physically a limit to how far/high you can propel yourself?

Idle curiosity. Probably 'Darwin' waiting to happen! :lol:

LS

As kids we always put up rope swings in the park and you have just jogged my memory and made me smile and shiver, I was the monkey sent up the tree and when I think back now I would have been very dead had I fallen, but it was high enough that we had a second rope attached which 6 or 7 mates could pull and really get you going, the joys/stupidity of youth.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought oh no another election themed thread, I also had a chuckle to myself and tried to think of something witty to write about adult swings.

I then opened the thread and my thunder was stolen. Never judge a book by its cover came to mind.

As kids we always put up rope swings in the park and you have just jogged my memory and made me smile and shiver, I was the monkey sent up the tree and when I think back now I would have been very dead had I fallen, but it was high enough that we had a second rope attached which 6 or 7 mates could pull and really get you going, the joys/stupidity of youth.

That sounds like a proper child hood . We used to make enormous swings and yes there were a couple of broken bones .

Harnser

O yes proud to say we were dragged up but we enjoyed it.

Worst brake I saw one of the lads snapped his arm compound fracture jumping off the normal swings seeing how far we could.

Bike rides big swings fishing catapults camping canoeing long warm summers and rose tinted glasses 😎

What I find amazing is its impossible for a chain or rope swing to go 360 as they lose too much energy flexing but Google 'Russian swing' which is the long plank type with solid spokes attached to the frame - I saw cirque du soleil using them and they were doing multiple 360's and launching big guys a good thirty feet into the air

Tarzan swings with a old ships hawser and a big stick for a seat roped to a large overhanging tree branch are the best for hours of free fun. A tree overhanging a gill dene or valley are best for twitchy bum time.

Growing up there was a rope swing just like this that hung off a branch over the river which had cut deep into the land. For reasons unknown it was always known as the ploddy swing, every time someone got hurt a parent would cut it down and like a mystical thing it would have magically returned the next day. Innocent, yet retrospectively dangerous times

Needed balls of steel to put some up I've been on. Crikey it must have been over a hundred foot from the stick you sat on to the tree tops in the gill below then the height of the branch it was tied to. No thanks, not for me climbing up that. Was always in the back of your mind will the rope hold as you looked up as it creaked at the frayed rope knot. Could probably hold ten ton looking back.

Some in a local cemetery used to swing out over the wall and main road with cars buses and lorrys passing beneath you. How did we make it to adult hood?