Brambles

walshie

Cut them right back to the ground. Then seeing you cannot use a spray, get a large soft paint brush and mix up a good strong mix of brush killer and glypho and brush on to any new leaves which show. It takes time so keep a pot handy, somewhere safe and out of reach of those who shouldn't touch. Then when you have a minute or two spare give any new growth a new application. Soft brush only, as a bristly one could spray stuff onto nearby plants and they would be doomed. I just sprayed glypho under my fruit trees in the orchard and must have walked on one patch, when I cut the grass this morning I could see yellow foot prints all down between the trees.

Edited by Walker570

Might have been better applying it to something lower down closer to the root if you can get to it.

I should of added, I cut it approx 6 inches above ground level then injected into the stem. I guess it will take a week to see if it has been effective.

It takes time to take affect, if you chop off all that you see you will be defeating the object of using a systemic weed killer. They can take a week or 2 to show any affect, they will normally start to turn a yellowish colour then wilt.

Walshie, if you really do want to get rid of the brambles it will be hard work.

Arm yourself with thorn proof gloves (not leather) and wear jeans and overalls. Find a way into the bramble patch then with Secateurs or loppers cut the stems 150mm from the base. Extricate every stem after every cut and pile it up ready to burn. When the patch has been completely cleared wait a month to six weeks until the first leaves of the re growth appear. Then you can apply a systemic spray like Roundup. Buy the Roundup from an agricultural merchant rather than a garden centre.

You may need to spray more than once, even over two seasons. Then pay a young man to dig out the dead roots.

Simples.

Just keep cutting them. I purchased a field of 5 acres which was overgrown with brambles, I couldn't use any sprays etc because of the grass and I'm gonna be using the field for cattle. If you keep cutting it, it does die off.

I cleared the field 2 years ago and only a few popped back up and cut them using a brush cutter, now the grass has taken over and the bramble has finished.

Most people around the land are astonished on how well it looks now and I still get asked what I used on the bramble.

• 3 weeks later...

I had moderate success with direct injection. It took about 14 days to take effect but what I injected seems to have died. I've got new growth so I'll need to repeat the process on the new plants/shoots. In all honesty I think painting it on the leaves would have been quicker.

Direct injection does remove the risk of splashing other plants and run off though. If you don't like using chemicals direct injection is also good I used about 2-3 ml of SBK on my first application.