Insurance claim

washerboy

Hope folks can help or offer advice

Monday morning I reversed my car very slowly into a parked car, my bumper hit the other cars bumper and no damage was done.

The other person had taken down my registration before I had even moved my car out from the car park . I said there was no damage and gave the young lady my telephone number as I didn't want to be accused of driving away from I suppose a motoring accident.

Today I have had several phone calls from my car insurance but they still insisted I have nothing on my policy and everything is up to date, payments etc.

Am I being paranoid?

If the woman is claiming against me what will happen next as there isn't in my eyes any damage to either car .

damage can be behind the bumper that is designed to absorb and reform post any minor impact

you exchanged details so in the yes of the law you're fine mate

its not clear form your post why your insurance co have contacted you.

if they receive a claim in from the third party you will be asked to complete a report form or to give a report verbally.

should she claim ensure your insurers inspect both vehicles to validate any related damage claim

I would take multiple close up images of the point of contact on you car now for reference if needed.

in the terms of your policy of insurance you have to report any incident, but thats your choice at the end of the day with the associated risks it brings by not reporting.

if you need help pm me.

for your information I run an fraud investigation dept for a motor insurance company so should know my onions

she can claim in through a solicitor without involving any insurer should she choose to, she may have tpf&t and not a comprehensive policy,and even throw in a personal injury claim if inclined and if in the vehicle at at the time.

her excess has no bearing on her rights or likelyhood to claim.

I wouldn't worry, its down to her to lead the way then you to react accordingly

Edited by Moley1508

Had a phone call tonight, she wants £150

She didn't inform the police or get back to me until tonight.

So I'm sure I can say go through my insurance as you have no incident number or the damage occurred maybe have been done after ?

she can claim in through a solicitor without involving any insurer should she choose to, she may have tpf&t and not a comprehensive policy,and even throw in a personal injury claim if inclined and if in the vehicle at at the time.

her excess has no bearing on her rights or likelyhood to claim.

I wouldn't worry, its down to her to lead the way then you to react accordingly

She wasn't in the car. So no injuries

This happened on Monday and first conversation between me and her is today, she didn't give me a number until today and I also didn't have her registration number.

I'm all for being fair but I'm sure I'm trying to be fleeced !

Sounds like it, tell her go through insurance and get them to sort it, she will back down then! In fairness, I try and keep things away from insurance. Last time I had something was my partners car got hit by a milk float at 4 in the morning, was all sorted within a couple of days and paid via cheque. She will be trying to make s few quid out of it

There you go. The definition of a collision. I've highlighted the bit that's relevant. Giving the driver/owner of another car your phone number is not enough. And is not sufficient in the eyes of the law. As per below. The only way to avoid falling fowl of this, is to report the collision at a Police Station within 24 hours, or as soon as practicable.

Saying that, It also applies to her, so she is also at fault in that respect. Unless she reported it to a Constable or a Police Station. 'Damage' is subjective at this point. As has already been pointed out, sometimes the damage is not always done solely at the point of impact.

My money would be on her trying to rip you off. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the point of impact, if you have it to hand, put your phone on to video and walk around the entire area of both cars, then a close up of the point of contact. Then again when you move your car away from the contact area. I appreciate it's easy to say now.....

Hope all goes well.

James

170Duty of driver to stop, report accident and give information or documents.

(1)This section applies in a case where, owing to the presence of a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] on a road [F2or other public place], an accident occurs by which—

(a)personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle], or

(b)damage is caused—

(i)to a vehicle other than that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] or a trailer drawn by that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle], or

(ii)to an animal other than an animal in or on that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] or a trailer drawn by that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle], or

(iii)to any other property constructed on, fixed to, growing in or otherwise forming part of the land on which the road [F3or place] in question is situated or land adjacent to such land.

(2)The driver of the [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] must stop and, if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle.

(3)If for any reason the driver of the [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] does not give his name and address under subsection (2) above, he must report the accident.

(4)A person who fails to comply with subsection (2) or (3) above is guilty of an offence.

(5)If, in a case where this section applies by virtue of subsection (1)(a) above, the driver of [F4a motor vehicle] does not at the time of the accident produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act—

(a)to a constable, or

(b)to some person who, having reasonable grounds for so doing, has required him to produce it,

the driver must report the accident and produce such a certificate or other evidence.

This subsection does not apply to the driver of an invalid carriage.

(6)To comply with a duty under this section to report an accident or to produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act, the driver—

(a)must do so at a police station or to a constable, and

(b)must do so as soon as is reasonably practicable and, in any case, within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the accident.

(7)A person who fails to comply with a duty under subsection (5) above is guilty of an offence, but he shall not be convicted by reason only of a failure to produce a certificate or other evidence if, within [F5seven] days after the occurrence of the accident, the certificate or other evidence is produced at a police station that was specified by him at the time when the accident was reported.

(8)In this section “animal” means horse, cattle, ***, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.

Edited by jam1e

washer boy, she has a time limit of 5 years, 3 for personal injury if an adult.

I've just dealt with a claim for a tiny blemish on motor that cost 2k.

its all relative to age make model of vehicle

I've pm'd you

btw the police would have no interest in the matter once you have exchanged contact details unless there are reported injuries which there are not, you did not fail to stop, and you've done this so I wouldn't worry mate. you won't be going to jail.

Edited by Moley1508

I had this a few years ago, I backed into a car in a car park , hardly touched it and the guy was walking back to the car at the time, shouting at me as if I'd written it off, he contacted me after and said a local garage would do it for £250 cash and just to send the money to him, I said as it was a company car we need to go via insurance to ensure there was no further damage to either car and to get his insurance co to contact ours, never heard another word!!

my understanding is that if you are in a car park the police are not interested,if you feel you are being scammed just deny any knowledge of the allegged incident,cash for accidents scams are big business these days.as you say you are all for being fair but not ripped off.

washer boy, you admit reversing into her stationary and unattended vehicle. and from. distance of 10'.

unless you have proof the damage is unrelated to the said incident you may well have to swallow the possibility that you caused MINOR damage and if so she is entitled to claim from you/your insurer. i.e. to be placed back in the same financial position she was in prior to the incident

technically you have a contractual obligation to report this to your insurer. they can act for you and deal, you can reimburse them should you wish and they will allow your no claims discount once done

for 150 id pay it, wipe my mouth and forget it happened mate.

cash for scam is irrelevant you admit hitting her car.she is innocent in this situation and will be seen to be by any court unless you have reason and can prove she is exaggerating her damage claim

Edited by Moley1508

She hasn't reported it to her insurance yet ...

Is there a time limit I wonder?

Is she insured,is this the reason she wants to settle cash.When a guy hit(my old shooting bus)me the 1st thing he slavered on about was paying me cash.Made me suspicious straight away,I agreed but only after I saw his insurance.

run a MID search on her then.

I do not think the OP was intending to see the lady prosecuted for having no insurance? if he is then run the search, then report her to the police for being hit whilst stationary and unoccupied.

would seem to be rather harsh, going from hitting her parked, stationary vehicle to getting her prosecuted and penalised to save having to pay would could actually be a reasonable amount to have her car put back in the same condition it was prior to the incident?

interesting take on this situation by most, keeps me and my team in work I guess.

If there is no damage to her car like I suspect then have I any rights to accuse her of insurance fraud?

If there is really no damage Do i call her bluff and ask her to claim on the insurance.

I don't even know her registered or full name

So I can't search her car history etc.

The accident was never reported

If there is no damage to her car like I suspect then have I any rights to accuse her of insurance fraud?

If there is really no damage Do i call her bluff and ask her to claim on the insurance.

I don't even know her registered or full name

So I can't search her car history etc.

The accident was never reported

If she's trying to obtain money by deception, then its fraud. So if there is clearly no damage (but to be 100% sure of that, you would probably have to take the bumper off and inspect brackets etc.) and she is trying to claim for damage, then it is fraud.

there are no insurers involved so there is no `insurance fraud taking place.

this is such a minor incident, take a look at her car at the point of impact, look behind any bumper, are the supports damaged in any way, have you proof any damage in the relative areas was not caused by you? if not....

if not then consider the balance of probability as would any court in this land. and if you wish to deny all knowledge or dispute matters then you would need to instruct an engineer to inspect your car to prove there is no damage as well. they would need to be qualified and independent and any cost would negate any saving your may make.

this is why you should technically report it to your insurer, to protect you and them from any concerns you may have, they wont though for this level of claim,instuct an engineer to physically inspect her car, its not financially worth their while, so again you are back to square one and relying on a garage to provide an opinion and estimate that you seem to want to contest before looking in detail at her car.

she is entitled to have her car repaired at a place of her choice, I am sure she could go to a main dealer and get a higher quote should she wish.

look a tthe car, if there is minor damage in the area you hit, despite there being no visible or hidden damage to your car, then I would still deal privately while she is still willing do this

all this of course is theory, I haven't seen any images or even know the make model and age of each car or points of impact or estimated speed of impact or.....

ill leave you to it, best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Moley1508

She has contacted her insurance company and mine has contacted me, it's gone from £150 cash for a bumper being sprayed to a wheel arch repair.

Insurance assessment people will be out next week.

She has contacted her insurance company and mine has contacted me, it's gone from £150 cash for a bumper being sprayed to a wheel arch repair.

Insurance assessment people will be out next week.

Sorry double post

Sorry double post