woodland

mel b3

hiya guys ,

im clutching at straws really , but its worth a try , im really hoping that a farmer/landowner sees the ad.

id like to buy a piece of woodland that i can use to , pitch a tent , park a touring caravan , shoot , collect firewood , just sit in with my pants on , for a few weeks/months each summer/autumn .

hopefully , it will have either , fishing pond or river , or , a stunning view.

id like anything from 1 acre up to 10 acres , and within a couple of hours drive of birmingham , but would consider , bigger , smaller , further away.

ive trawled the land for sale sites until my head is spinning , but still cant find anything that ticks all the boxes.

ive visited a couple of parcels of land so far(private sellers) , and both times they appear to be being sold by complete scammers .

please help , im getting desparate.

Cheers for the heads up buddy.

I've already looked at that one ,and it's fantastic ,everything is perfect except the distance , I drive all week so I was hoping to get something a bit nearer to home.

Keep looking and be patient. Woodland is not a car. I'm looking for something similar for almost two years now and still nothing. I think after brexit prices may be better.

You're right , I was just getting desperate as I've been thinking about it for a couple of years ,and ive finally decided to take the plunge ,ive just missed out on a cracking 10acre plot in wales.

Would never have thought to look on eBay for land/woods.

I look on woodlands for sale every now and then but just for a look really, we can dream ☺

a lot of the land for sale on ebay isnt what it seems , i dipped my toe in the water , and found that a lot of it is " a bit of a scam"(the words of a guy i bumped into who was managing the land, and grazing cattle on it so that it couldnt be used) , id been in touch with one of the ebay sellers that sells small plots of land , they were very very evasive when questions were asked , so i asked for a bit of advice from a well respected pw member , fortunately he steered me well clear . i have since viewed the land , from half mile away over a locked gate , which appears to be as close as you will ever get to your land after you have handed over your cash. the sellers accused me of being a traveller , and have blocked me from asking awkward questions on ebay lol.

Me and a mate have been thinking about this for a while now Mel, bloody hard to find

ive been thinking about it for a few years now , it was the passing of my dad that has kicked me into action . im hoping that it will be something that we can enjoy while im around , and something to leave for the kids when im gone.

with the woodland sites, you cant shoot, or ride motor bikes .quad bikes or eny thing like that or you up set other people who bought other bits of wood, i looked in to it.

the woodland selling sites , each appear to have different covenants . some seem to encourage sensible pest control , deer stalking etc , and im guessing that using a quad as transport around your woodland isnt an issue(this is what im looking to buy) . but they all seem to have covenants that dont allow quad/motorbike racing and organised clay shoots .

i would be gutted if i spent my life savings on a piece of woodland , only to find that the piece of woodland 50yards away has a motocross race every saturday , and a clay shoot every sunday.

im sure that you could buy a chunk of woodland that would suit quad biking and lots of shooting though.

I own a 10 acre wood that I planned and planted ten years ago. Nobody tells me what I can do in my wood, period. Having said that I am like any good neighbour should be aware that the wood is very close to the village and so don't do anything which could cause people annoyance. I do one/two shot zeroing when I have to but don't spend all afternoon blatting away. I also shoot the occasional woodpigeon/magpie with a shotgun. Mel, I hope you are successful, because we have had hours of sheer pleasure from ours. I was sat waiting to get a intruding squirrel yesterday and saw a flit of movement about 5yrds away and a weasel came out, checked a couple of holes at the base of a tree, had a sniff down an open mole hole and zipped back into cover. See stoats regularly but rarely a weasel and that close. You have just got to keep trawling away. Great pity I did not know earlier as a friend of mine recently sold his 20 acre wood just across from Droitwich and it would have been perfect.

I own a 10 acre wood that I planned and planted ten years ago. Nobody tells me what I can do in my wood, period. Having said that I am like any good neighbour should be aware that the wood is very close to the village and so don't do anything which could cause people annoyance. I do one/two shot zeroing when I have to but don't spend all afternoon blatting away. I also shoot the occasional woodpigeon/magpie with a shotgun. Mel, I hope you are successful, because we have had hours of sheer pleasure from ours. I was sat waiting to get a intruding squirrel yesterday and saw a flit of movement about 5yrds away and a weasel came out, checked a couple of holes at the base of a tree, had a sniff down an open mole hole and zipped back into cover. See stoats regularly but rarely a weasel and that close. You have just got to keep trawling away. Great pity I did not know earlier as a friend of mine recently sold his 20 acre wood just across from Droitwich and it would have been perfect.

That sounds just perfect ,I missed out on a nice 10 acre plot near Porthmadog, I dithered for a couple of days and it sold.

We're off to look at a couple of places today ,theyes much smaller but they're worth a look , one of them is bromsgrove way.

Ideally I'd like somewhere with a pond , or a place to build a pond ,and have enough deer for me to take one per year.

I fear that I can't afford anything that perfect though.

Keep on having tree's off me, and you can 'grow your own'. :)

this is part of my masterplan , id like to grow a few dozen myself and plant them , ill look after them as long as i can , then the kids / grandkids will take over.

What's the saying we plant trees so our children's children can sit in the shade, 👍

I drive past a few places that have the woodlands for sale sign so take a look once in a while, always some nice looking places Yorkshire and Cumbria but I'm just window shopping, for now, don't tell the wife.

What's the saying we plant trees so our children's children can sit in the shade,

I drive past a few places that have the woodlands for sale sign so take a look once in a while, always some nice looking places Yorkshire and Cumbria but I'm just window shopping, for now, don't tell the wife.

some of the woodlands can be bought relatively cheaply , at the moment they may just be a patch of earth with a few saplings , but given a few years and bit of tlc , they could be fine woodlands . i really wish that i had done it years ago , when i had more , strength , stamina , and motivation.

I had three small paddocks which I didn't know what to do with. Saw the Poplar Tree Company at the Royal Show ... can't believe that was nearly 20yrs ago ... I then ploughed and pressed the ground and planted 3800 poplar whips and for the first four/five years kept them weed free and pruned. Incredible growth and they are now 80ft high and some almost 18 inches in diameter BUT the icing on the cake was the ash and oak trees on the boundary seeded down and I now have thousands of ash and a lot of oak trees and also I have now discovered eleven walnut trees growing in there seeded from my neighbours old tree and the one in my orchard. I was 57 yrs old when I planted, so even if you buy a acre or two of open ground, you could be enjoying a wood very quickly. Poplars grow very quickly so you almost get an instant wood but you can then add other species. I also included two ponds purely as wet wildlife areas. The trees actually dry one out in the summer but it fills in the winter and has newts and frogs. The area is a squirrel free zone so any intruders get flattend every quickly and consequently we have a huge mix of small birds we have never seen before ..nuthatch and tree creeper for instance.

So don't just look at mature woods Mel. You can plant your own and get a huge satisfaction from doing so.

You're right , I was just getting desperate as I've been thinking about it for a couple of years ,and ive finally decided to take the plunge ,ive just missed out on a cracking 10acre plot in wales.

Good, because we don't want the likes of you wandering about 'our' Welsh woodland! ;):)

Good, because we don't want the likes of you wandering about 'our' Welsh woodland! ;):)

for your information mr b , i wont be wandering about , i shall be quietly sitting on a log bench .......in my pants :yahoo: .