A year on the bunnies

Stealth Stalker

Its a year to the day I've been controlling the coneys on a large sportsground locally to me. Pin's accompanied me numerous times & I've been keeping a tally of the numbers shot/ferreted, 266 rabbits to date with at least 40 un picked for various reasons.

This number could quite easily have been doubled, but we've been selective, taking only young bunnies where they are causing the groundsman the most grief.

We've had good days & bad days even a few blanks, days where you'd think we've never picked up a rifle in our lives. No names Pin :good::lol::mad::lol:

The grounds manager has commented many times on how good a job we're doing, & is insisting on me issuing him an invoice for the pest control. Obviously we are doing it for the love of the sport & would gladly do it for nothing. But there is a cost incurred, my Landie does lamposts to the gallon :yp: ammo, air etc......

What do you think to be a fair, reasonable amount to cover costs?

The bag from last night, minus 2 that were unpickable. Pin naughty, naughty :oops:

Cheers Stealth Stalker

I take it that your selling the bunnies anyway ? so you should be recouping a good chunk of your cost. If it was me i wouldn't be charging as you may find that in a year of two's time someone might be knocking on his door offering to do it for nothing. Just carry on the general fun banter of declining it, you will get far more rewards for it, possible more permission if he recommends you to his colleagues :good: keep up the good work

I was'nt going to post a reply on this, but well i am doing :oops:

How about £25 an hour

sounds ok :good:

true as owt £25 an hour to shoot bunnies, ferret or any other pest control.

unbelievable in it

by the way its not me charging that

Unless you are incurring some exceptional costs, like a 100 mile round trip , four times a week, I would politely refuse any money.

Today its this Ground Manager, tomorrow it might be someone else and he might be looking to save some money. :oops:

The most I have ever taken for many years of vermin control, is the odd box of cartridges from a generous Farmer (and you know how few and far between they are ) :good:

Unless you are incurring some exceptional costs, like a 100 mile round trip , four times a week, I would politely refuse any money.

Today its this Ground Manager, tomorrow it might be someone else and he might be looking to save some money. :lol:

The most I have ever taken for many years of vermin control, is the odd box of cartridges from a generous Farmer (and you know how few and far between they are ) :mad:

And you did very well to get that :oops::lol:

:good: D2D

Hi SS,

Is the groundsman asking in order that he can justify a budget he may have for Pest Control from the local council/Sports group?

As you say whilst we all enjoy getting out there for free, it does cost. Have a word with him and politely ask what he is prepared to pay as a token for the Ammo etc.

That way you get something and he gets something.

I wouldn't worry about others knocking and doing it for free,as it sounds to me like you have got your feet well and truely on the door.

From your comment about unpickable rabbits and Pins shooting, can one asume he's as good with a rifle as I am with a shotgun :blink:

SS :blush:

More to do with the hmr making a right heaving mess of two that particular evening. One was a bad shot, instant kill but gutshot, swear the other was a flyer hit high shoulder and minced it completely.

One there wasn't much to pick, wasn't close either. Sometimes the hmr hardly makes a mark, other times they look like they have been hit with a salvo from a type 42 destroyer, then run over a few times :blink:

the closer you are the more damage especially if some bone gets in the way. The nice thing about the round is if you do gut shoot a rabbit it doesn't go anywhere with a .22lr they are the ones that can drag themselves away squealing

Well i think many of you are missing the point and speaking from doing pest control on farms.

Pest Control is a job like any other job and i think you will find AS I DO that sites like the one SS controls want to pay as to be seen or to think that they are getting in the pros, NOT some Tom **** or Hairy who just wants to pop off some Bunnies for the fun of it.

SS that last trip we did to the bowls club, £180

You are just as likely to lose the shoot for not chargeing if the Commitee ask who is doing the Control and the reply is "just some Guy". Remember when you have T Henrey (the best c forward in the world)and other multi million pound players kicking a ball around over the other side of the bush, those in control of the sports ground want to know that the Guy with the Gun is a pro and not some twit blowing bunnies to bits.

IMHO you should charge around the £300 mark for the year.

The Cards that you and others have had made up are great for Farms but when you go to places like this you need another card that dosen't offer your services for free.

Do what you feel better with, your a good judge of caracter, do you think a invoce to the sports ground would be passed. Remeber there was a very bad problem with the Bunnies now there aint SO you have done a job. If you lose the shoot it aint the end of the world you have others and plenty to come.

PELTMAN :lol:

Thanks for all the replies chaps :lol:

This situation is one of those double edge sword type situations, the ground in question had a major rabbit problem, I approached the ground manager with a long term plan to control the problem, some of you may recall I was asking for advice on this one over a year ago, he was having his groundsmen trained to administer gas to the warrens :oops: I was advised by a few of you on the pros & cons (mainley cons) on this process & I went back to him with a further plan.

He was very keen on my plan of action and after about 3 or 4 months of hard work & reconnaissance I was invited back for another meeting. He was always asking about cost, I told him I had no idea of an amount to charge & really I was just chuffed to have the permission to shoot there. He was insistant that I issue an invoice for the service I provided & he has done on every occasion I see him.

I have a good rapport with him & he has reccomended me to the neighbouring land owners (keeping fingers firmy crossed),

what I don't want to do is invoice him, then find next year my services are not required, but as Pelty pointed out I don't want to sell myself short & seem amateurish.

I am seriously considering moving into the pest/vermin control profession (trying not to tread on anyone locally's toes Pelty) :o :lol: & to cap things off due to the eastern european influx in my given trade I've had **** all work this month, so someone that is asking me to invoice him for my services is becoming more & more attractive.

I quite like one of the replies suggesting I charge £25 an hour, now that would be good :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheers a confused Stealth Stalker

I guess if the groundsman was getting people trained to gas them you can compare the costs of presumably a days training plus the cost of the Phostoxin and I'll bet if he was getting a couple of people trained then buying the chemical then he wouldn't have any change from 1K, I'd bung in a £250 invoice and check with him afterwards that that was ok.