A speeding question for the naughty boys - Got laser vanned on the M4

Mungler

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the misfortune of being caught last year, 34mph in a 30mph zone.

Got the option of 3 points and a fine or pay the £60 fine and watch and attend a speed matters course for 1 day.

I picked the latter!

When I got my only 3 points (not paying attention to speed camera detector) it was for 38 in 30 zone (in the coutryside somewhere) I never got the chance to attend a speed matters course, would definitely choose that option.

As has been said there's a lot of difference between 56 in a 30 zone and 96 in a 70 zone, pesonally time they upped the limits on motorways thought they were only brought in during petrol crisis or something (before my time).

My advice get a laser detector (although think they're illegal now)

Three points and £150 fine.

I just love the people who tut at speeding. Over 100 - ban - no excuses. Try the M6 Toll road - cars are 120 plus - I understand the Police do not patrol. I do not speed excessively, but anyone who drives and says they don't break the speed limit is a liar. At 31 in a 30 area, you are speeding. My wife says she never speeds and is very intolerant of speeders. She does 35 in a 30 area going to work. She doesn't call it speeding, but "keeping up with the flow of traffic". "No-one does 30 - there would be a queue" is her response.

I wonder how many of the "non-speeders" check their speed when going through a traffic camera - Why?:blush:? If they never speed, there is no need to check.

You did it - got caught - pay up.

Three points and £150 fine.

I just love the people who tut at speeding. Over 100 - ban - no excuses. Try the M6 Toll road - cars are 120 plus - I understand the Police do not patrol. I do not speed excessively, but anyone who drives and says they don't break the speed limit is a liar. At 31 in a 30 area, you are speeding. My wife says she never speeds and is very intolerant of speeders. She does 35 in a 30 area going to work. She doesn't call it speeding, but "keeping up with the flow of traffic". "No-one does 30 - there would be a queue" is her response.

I wonder how many of the "non-speeders" check their speed when going through a traffic camera - Why?:blush:? If they never speed, there is no need to check.

You did it - got caught - pay up.

Agreed entirely.

It is a road tax I must pay.

If they have issued a fixed penalty notice then all you will get is 3 points and £60.00 fine, if they have summoned you to appear before a magistrate then it's likely to be 3pts and a 3 figure fine. usually the cutoff for appearing is 96 and a ban is 100.

the only way you can take it as philosophically as possible is to look at how often you were speeding and haven't been caught. I run a courier company and obviously drivers are getting done all the time its almost part of the job. I was impressed by one girl who managed 18 points in 6 months the extra six arrived while she was waiting to go to court to be banned for totting up, they let her off with a big fine then a few days later the next NIP dropped through the letter box. Observation is key to driving these days then you're just unlucky to get caught.

Touch wood at 95 indicated you'll have about 90 on the NIP so should just be three points

Try the M6 Toll road - cars are 120 plus - I understand the Police do not patrol.

I've seen the Police run speed traps on the M6 toll on several occasions. They generally sit on the services access road, be warned.

I thought that you paid the toll fee to be able to drive as fast as you liked on the M6 Toll road :blush:

I love the part after the barriers as everyone sees just how fast they can accelerate to 100mph.

Mental note after reading this discussion - stay at 95mph

I have just got home and looked at the letter which is a "notice of intended prosecution" where they are looking for the identity of the driver to prosecute.

However, along with the letter is a code to go on line to the Wiltshire Police website, log in with a pin number, view the images, view the map location, view the calibration documentation.... the whole nine yards. This is a very slick money making piece of machinery.

I have downloaded the photo to my desktop - I will see if I can up load it but there are a bundle of copyright notices saying that copying and distribution of anything off the website is a complete naughty and all uses of the website including navigation, keys pressed etc are monitored.

Okay, one for the naughty boys as it says on the tin.

Sunday morning, M4 no traffic, dry, sunny and doing 95 mph.

What's the damage going to be?

Place your bets.....

The notice arrived in the post this morning within the prescribed time limits.

just in case mung how much for the car.

Ah no, that would be perverting the course of justice and lots of people are doing porridge for that kind of caper.

The police have started detailed examination of photos involving car registered to people with 9 points and above - apparently they more than most have the habit of having points copped for them.

Besides, the photos are very good and the close up is definitely me I am afraid.

Ah no, that would be perverting the course of justice and lots of people are doing porridge for that kind of caper.

The police have started detailed examination of photos involving car registered to people with 9 points and above - apparently they more than most have the habit of having points copped for them.

Besides, the photos are very good and the close up is definitely me I am afraid.

Surely no ID parade can come up with that many boxing cats :blush: they'll never 'pin' it on you ;)

I had the misfortune of being caught last year, 34mph in a 30mph zone.

Got the option of 3 points and a fine or pay the £60 fine and watch and attend a speed matters course for 1 day.

I picked the latter!

When I got my only 3 points (not paying attention to speed camera detector) it was for 38 in 30 zone (in the coutryside somewhere) I never got the chance to attend a speed matters course, would definitely choose that option.

As has been said there's a lot of difference between 56 in a 30 zone and 96 in a 70 zone, pesonally time they upped the limits on motorways thought they were only brought in during petrol crisis or something (before my time).

My advice get a laser detector (although think they're illegal now)

They only offer the option under certain constabularies, mine was in Bridgwater, Somerset.

Also over 35mph in a 30mph zone they dont give you the option!! :blush:

I have no problem with speeding at all. Look at Germany and their autobahns. It is not speed that kills it is lack of concentration and inappropriate speed : 95 mph outside a school is inappropriate whereas 95 mph on a clear dry motorway is the norm for most M-way fast lanes.

I have never driven in Germany but I am led to believe that the standard is higher. A big factor is that in Germany it is expected that there will be high speed drivers where as in this country people expect driving speeds to be lower, only the nieve (sp?) will expect a 70mph but the difference between 80mph and 100mph can catch you out big time.

Speaking from a personnal perspective, I do not appreciate drivers going silly around me as any mistake can lead to a big problem very quickly. Speed increases the risks no matter what anyone says.

Sorry to hear you got caught,

One thing that has struck me is, the differention between 95mph and 100mph whats 5mph at that speed ?

My only advice would be to learn the immortal words of that well known singer 'Shaggy'

(In my best Jamaican accent)

It wasn't me..

on easter weekend i was driving down to devon on the friday night to visit my dad, left work at about 1am went straight there, was doing about 95mph then noticed a police car on the bridge above me- slammed the breaks on and got down to 70! i was lucky, later that same journey i got pulled over for a routine check, all between 1am and 3.30am. not bad for a first time on the motorway! (only had my licence 2 weeks at the time :blush:)

However, along with the letter is a code to go on line to the Wiltshire Police website, log in with a pin number, view the images, view the map location, view the calibration documentation.... the whole nine yards. This is a very slick money making piece of machinery.

You can tell they handed this over to a private company can't you? ;)

If it were still the fuzz doing this you'd have to write in for a photocopy of the polaroid but they would have lost it, and the first bloke to go out and test the camera would have lost the documentation and calibration certificate :blush:

Mungler,

One word repeated many times.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :blush:;):lol:???:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever you get you know it was worth it.

Get yourself a land rover, you'll never get caught a 95 again. And if you are no court in the land will believe you :lol: