Car insurance claim advice

Ollieollie

So, around three weeks ago whilst on holiday i scraped a parked bmw in a pub carpark, there was no one around so i left my details took pictures and carried on with my holiday. The owner called and details were exchanged, it turns out he works for bmw and it was a company car. During our discussion he said that the damage would be a simple job and he would have it done in house for a fixed employee fee of £300.00. Fine i thought as my excess will be a similar figure. The damage was minimal, not a lot at all! purely paintwork.

So today i received a quote from the bodyshop department at sytner bmw to the tune of £1200.40p

So does anyone have any advice? i will be contacting my insurance company shortly to begin proceedings.

I have pictures but unsure of how to upload now, can email them if someone would be so kind as to put them up for me

Cheers All

Could also upload the quote

Have you already informed your insurer? I think that you have a limited time after the incident after which your insurer will not accept the claim.

iirc the legal time limit is six years from the date of the accident for damage claims and three years for injury claims

Edited by wascal

Whilst legally there are time limits you are obliged to notify your insurer of any accident or conviction before renewal. Otherwise this would be a serious non-disclosure. They will take this into account in your next years renewal. Also delays in notifying them could prejudice their position if - say if claim turned out to be very expensive - they are called on to settle on your behalf. I realise the reality is that many small incidents are settled 'privately' this can backfire.

Whilst legally there are time limits you are obliged to notify your insurer of any accident or conviction before renewal. Otherwise this would be a serious non-disclosure. They will take this into account in your next years renewal. Also delays in notifying them could prejudice their position if - say if claim turned out to be very expensive - they are called on to settle on your behalf. I realise the reality is that many small incidents are settled 'privately' this can backfire.

Just to back this post up,it does backfire.Even is settled cash between individuals.I had some idiot comming in the opposite direction take a right hand junction pulling across my path.Fortunatly I was only doing about 28mph in my old shooting bus (grand vitara).Cracked bumper and a broken headlight.Guy wanted to settle cash,ok providing is see your insurance.

Top and bottom is he offered cash,but he also notified his insurance.They called me to ask if I wanted them to settle (he told them he clearly at fault).Also that they where aware that their insured had offered cash.I said cash as it's only an old car I use for the farm.Thought that was the end of it until renewals time when I didn't bother mentioning it.Three days later email from new insurance company to call them.On my file as reported accident and cost me an additional £36.

I would never again settle this way as if I'd had a further accident and wrote my good car off,insurance may well of said "tuff"

I thought as it was a minor paint job not involving the insurance would be the best route, **** law he works for bmw and its a company car. The end result is aviva have sorted it for me, as i'm not claiming for my vehicle as the damage is almost invisible i don't have to pay anything, they will deal with the other party.

My only negative is on renewal i will be stung for making a claim, i have protected no claims but the 'have you made a claim in the last 5 years' question kind of renders that useless i presume?? can anyone clarify this situation for me

Cheers

You can usually have two claims in any three year period and still keep your NCD protected, however you insurance has a base fee for he vehicle then all the loads are applied for age, where you live and claims etc then the discounts are applied for years free claims, experience etc so the end result is because you have made a claim regardless of fault you insurance will rise because of the loading applied.

Edited by sportsbob