Old English Gallyon on its way

davids3511

I'm looking at buying an old english side by side for my lad, hes wanted one for a while now. It looks great but the stock has been extended with a bit of wood that's obviously not original. The value of the gun isn't huge, £300 or so. Can I remove that extension and have a kickeexe fitted or will that look daft on a 100 year old gun? It already looks off with the wood extension.

post-62140-0-07526200-1502825123_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've removed a couple of extensions on more modern shotguns.

One was a case of an hour or so with a sharp knife & small hammer - taking it along the grain in small stages. The original buttplate went straight back on.

The one in your photo looks like a wooden recoil pad design.

If it's too long though it's too long.

Wooden recoil pad bet it has some lovely wood work on the end..do you have any better quality pictures..if it's kick get him a shoulder pad..or use 21 grain cartridges..if it's to long get him to hang from the door frame in his bedroom for 3 hours a night shame to remove such a pad

I've removed a couple of extensions on more modern shotguns.

One was a case of an hour or so with a sharp knife & small hammer - taking it along the grain in small stages. The original buttplate went straight back on.

The one in your photo looks like a wooden recoil pad design.

If it's too long though it's too long.

It's not too long, its still 3/4inch too short, I just dont like it but it's old and I probably just don't understand how it works. To me it looks like a block of wood stuck on the end of a lovely old gun. These are the reason he loves it.

post-62140-0-96613600-1502832671_thumb.jpeg

hello, shame that on a nice classic english gun, lovely barrels looks like a diy job, if it is still to short buy a 3/4 inch buy a rubber slip on or leather that size and you wont see the extension, i had a S/S that i used with a nice leather pad

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

A kickeeze will look out of place too imho. A well done walnut extension is much nicer than any pad but is expensive a silvers pad will be more in keeping but they are only so big.

How much does the stock need extending with the piece removed?

I'm not sure, I haven't got it in my hand yet. It's 14 1/4" right now with the extension and he needs 15" in all.

Edited by davids3511

hello, shame that on a nice classic english gun, lovely barrels looks like a diy job, if it is still to short buy a 3/4 inch buy a rubber slip on or leather that size and you wont see the extension, i had a S/S that i used with a nice leather pad

I know but I think if the stock was perfect it would be out of my price range. Not really sure how far I can go with it. Do I even get it rebrowned or will that take away from it's age and look? Maybe best left alone.

I'm not sure, I haven't got it in my hand yet. It's 14 1/4" right now with the extension and he needs 15" in all.

Ok two thing really 15" lop is really quite short for a straight handed gun.

Second imho any extension over an 1 1/4 inch looks odd and should be done in walnut where possible. Now some like a close match others to use a complimentary but higher grade piece of walnut to show off the craftsmanship but not completely mismatched like that photo.

I know but I think if the stock was perfect it would be out of my price range. Not really sure how far I can go with it. Do I even get it rebrowned or will that take away from it's age and look? Maybe best left alone.

hello, 3/4 of an inch is quite a length to add on the stock as it is, take the butt piece off even longer, if he likes the gun and it does look a nice english piece of history i would just be inclined if you buy it for him, and use a nice leather extension pad, but bearing in mind if he can shoot ok with it i would leave as is for to do anything would be costly, a nice leather pad would blend in if you can find one with that measurement, i got mine from poland for less than a tenner off ebay, looking at quite a few on the internet old boxlocks are anything up to a £1,000 so if you buy its worth a consider in future to spend some money and return to a condition your son can use for many years ahead. good luck,

hello, 3/4 of an inch is quite a length to add on the stock as it is, take the butt piece off even longer, if he likes the gun and it does look a nice english piece of history i would just be inclined if you buy it for him, and use a nice leather extension pad, but bearing in mind if he can shoot ok with it i would leave as is for to do anything would be costly, a nice leather pad would blend in if you can find one with that measurement, i got mine from poland for less than a tenner off ebay, looking at quite a few on the internet old boxlocks are anything up to a £1,000 so if you buy its worth a consider in future to spend some money and return to a condition your son can use for many years ahead. good luck,

hello, you might even be lucky to find a stock from a similar gun that is broken for spares

A kickeeze will look out of place too imho. A well done walnut extension is much nicer than any pad but is expensive a silvers pad will be more in keeping but they are only so big.

How much does the stock need extending with the piece removed?

this..I went with a silvers pad,due to the stripes of the pad it also makes any wooden extension piece left/put in place look much better than expected. I got the work down for @ £80 and there was noway I could have done it as well DIY.......

Where do I even start to look for something like that?

hello, you just have to keep looking on the web, auctions/ gun shops/ put out wanted ad etc, here is what you might be able to find, HOLTS AUCTIONS JAN 7th 2016, lot no 6015 a stock/action/and forend/ gallyon and sons gun no 12148, estimate was £30/40/50 if you were to find one of same age gun and boxlock it might just fit with a bit of work, might be worth a call to HOLTS to see if purchased or put name down if something like this came up in future

hello, you just have to keep looking on the web, auctions/ gun shops/ put out wanted ad etc, here is what you might be able to find, HOLTS AUCTIONS JAN 7th 2016, lot no 6015 a stock/action/and forend/ gallyon and sons gun no 12148, estimate was £30/40/50 if you were to find one of same age gun and boxlock it might just fit with a bit of work, might be worth a call to HOLTS to see if purchased or put name down if something like this came up in future

hello, , i have 2 sons in their 40s with no interest in shooting what so ever so i think well done for you and your son to enjoy together, you do not say where you are david but if you do buy let me know and if you wish try find a stock, for the time being here is the pad i bought, ebay 262476753534, bit rough and ready, you might need a bit extra packing, cheers

hello, , i have 2 sons in their 40s with no interest in shooting what so ever so i think well done for you and your son to enjoy together, you do not say where you are david but if you do buy let me know and if you wish try find a stock, for the time being here is the pad i bought, ebay 262476753534, bit rough and ready, you might need a bit extra packing, cheers

Hi Cheers for that, I'm just about certain to go for the gun. Wabbitbosher is holding it for me until tomorrow, I just about have the wife convinced it would make a good Christmas present if I can get it refurbished (rebrowned) and lengthened. Would love to come across a replacement stock. I'm in Altrincham, South Manchester but don't mind a bit of a drive. Cheers for the help., I'm a total novice with old guns and don't want to ruin it by going too far with it. Maybe it's best not redone and left to show it's age. Edited by davids3511

Hi Cheers for that, I'm just about certain to go for the gun. Wabbitbosher is holding it for me until tomorrow, I just about have the wife convinced it would make a good Christmas present if I can get it refurbished (rebrowned) and lengthened. Would love to come across a replacement stock. I'm in Altrincham, South Manchester but don't mind a bit of a drive. Cheers for the help., I'm a total novice with old guns and don't want to ruin it by going too far with it. Maybe it's best not redone and left to show it's age.

hello, i am sure your son would appreciate that as a nice christmas present, wabbitbosher has a very good reputation on here so good luck if you buy, as for getting refurb, me i would wait to see what can be done or needed, i am sure theres a chap on here for barrel work/ you maybe looking at a £100 for getting the stock sorted with a nice piece of timber that blends in/ a service ? depends how much you want to spend, but hey a gun i am sure he will love shooting. ps i have contacted HOLTS for info on that i mentioned. will let you know. cheers

Remove and have a Silver's pad fitted. In keeping with the gun.

I'm looking at buying an old english side by side for my lad, hes wanted one for a while now. It looks great but the stock has been extended with a bit of wood that's obviously not original. The value of the gun isn't huge, £300 or so. Can I remove that extension and have a kickeexe fitted or will that look daft on a 100 year old gun? It already looks off with the wood extension.

Ebony or horn insert then Silvers pad.

hello, i am sure your son would appreciate that as a nice christmas present, wabbitbosher has a very good reputation on here so good luck if you buy, as for getting refurb, me i would wait to see what can be done or needed, i am sure theres a chap on here for barrel work/ you maybe looking at a £100 for getting the stock sorted with a nice piece of timber that blends in/ a service ? depends how much you want to spend, but hey a gun i am sure he will love shooting. ps i have contacted HOLTS for info on that i mentioned. will let you know. cheers

Thank you, really appreciated.

Another thing to bear in mind regarding the LOP is did you measure with your son just wearing a t shirt or a thick winter coat? A slip on leather pad adds just under an inch so I would start with that and get him to try it again wearing winter clothing.

I'm just going by what he needs on his mk38, he's got big long monkey arms for a 15 year old. I know I'll have to get it measured properly once gun is in hand. Edited by davids3511