Rental fees.. really!

Pigeonshooter22

Looking to rent a little cottage up the road.

For the estate agents to put the property is under offer and complete the checks/references they want £605.. for the following.

Tenant Set up fee £200.00 plus VAT per Tenant aged 18 or over

Inventory, Check In & Check Out Fee £125.00 inclusive of VAT

Payable now £605

This is before any rent or deposit (accept that part) but is that normal?.. the rent is only £550 a month as its a tiny one bedroom cottage, and its unfurnished.

Colleague I work with paid £249 for both of them for checks/set up fee/inventory etc; on a 3 bed house where the rents £1200 a month.

Seems a bit steep, last time i moved 12 months ago, it was £110 each.

Unfortunately your options are see if they will take less or go elsewhere. We are normally only ever in one place for 12 months so include the fees in working out the total cost of the stay, there can be a lot of variation but usually there is not a lot of scope for shopping around unless searching a very large area or a very densely populated place.

Estate agents and vampires not a lot in it really.Their already charging the owners fees for "managing" the place so the rest is icing on the cake and ensures the would be renter is milked to the max.Same as auction places you pay to sell and the buyer pays to buy the seedier side of capitalism i,m afraid .

I was looking (being nosey, wanting to know what it looked like inside) at a house down the road that has just gone back on the market after the current tenants have moved out - it stipulated a minimum Sole or Joint income was required to pass the affordability and credit check!

This income was a fair old whack!