Intensive Driving Courses.

catchthepigeonmutley

My lad has just finished Uni and needs to learn to drive asap as he is starting in a job in early November. I am taking him out for a few informal lessons and he is already swotting for his theory test, but he wants to take an intensive ( also known as a crash!) driving course to pass the practical test asap. I must admit I have my doubts as he could well (as I see it) fail the test and end up paying more, as these courses are not cheap. Anyone had any experience of these short driving courses or have any opinions on them?? Any advice eagerly and gratefully received. :hmm:

Cheers.

My lad did an intensive course recently, he was 17 on the 10th August, theory on 15th weeks intnsive (15 hours) and all passed with one minor on 27th of August so can only Speek highly of them or though he has been driving my Landrover of the road since he was about 12. His mate did an intensive with no real experience and he passed too. It everdently suits some but not all, good luck all the same as for cost I think it was around £700 that includeds both tests.

Im an ex instructor and have done a few intensives in the past.they can be good,if the pupil has the ability to take the full on instruction. I have had a couple of intensives where the pressure took its toll on the pupils, and they were not anywhere up to the standard to even take the test. I dont personal

ly think they set up a new driver with the skills to continue driving safely after they pass.

Also,if you go down that route,make sure the instructor or the driving school is very reputable as i have come accross a few that will take on a pupil that has no chance of passing,its a money maker.

Edited by flyeruk

I have no knowledge of them but agree with flyeruk above. I was very lucky and went through two 'intensive' courses, one motorcycle and one car, to advanced police standards but even those courses were full time three/four week courses and although we had all taken our standard driving tests before going to Stafford Training Centre, it was hard work.

I would have him do normal driving instruction with a good instructor, maybe try and find an ex graded police driver who is instructing in retirement. Then after he passes, arrange for him to take some advanced instruction and that £700 would be better spent. The things ingrained in me back then have saved my life many times and even today when driving with my wife who was the first policewoman to take the Advanced Course at Stafford, we see things which are about to happen way before anyone else and other drivers to 'watch' and invariably they will do something stupid. An advanced course is well worth the money.

All I can say briefly on the intensive driving course,My Grandson did some ordinary type lessons and felt like we all did that we were making very slow progress..

He took a weeks intensive before his test,And past it first time..

So,Yes I can see that it helps,a week between lessons seems a long time..

Worked in his case..

My stepson had his first lesson on a Monday morning and passed his test on the Friday (16 hours total)

He needed a car for his new job so learnt in an Automatic for ease of passing.

All electric/hybrids are auto's so it's got to be the future.

They hire cars and vans for him at work and have no trouble getting an Automatic for him.

I have no knowledge of them but agree with flyeruk above. I was very lucky and went through two 'intensive' courses, one motorcycle and one car, to advanced police standards but even those courses were full time three/four week courses and although we had all taken our standard driving tests before going to Stafford Training Centre, it was hard work.

I would have him do normal driving instruction with a good instructor, maybe try and find an ex graded police driver who is instructing in retirement. Then after he passes, arrange for him to take some advanced instruction and that £700 would be better spent. The things ingrained in me back then have saved my life many times and even today when driving with my wife who was the first policewoman to take the Advanced Course at Stafford, we see things which are about to happen way before anyone else and other drivers to 'watch' and invariably they will do something stupid. An advanced course is well worth the money.

+ 1

Have a chat with a few driving instructors and see if you can book a lesson every day, it may work out cheaper.

I would think the first step would be to book the theory test and make sure he passes. Then apply for a driving test giving your first available date as soon as possible.

In my experience of driving tests, you can apply today for one and not get a date for up to 3 months away.

I wish him well, there is no better feeling than being out on the open road :good: