Scrappage - just got £3,500 for my old banger!

norfolk dumpling

My old 4x4 (X Trail 136k on clock) starting to get expensive to run and as my off-road activity almost nil I did a bit of phoning round to see if the deals I've seen on the net were real. Anyhow one dealership for a car with OTR price of £16k offered me above discount which was £2k Gov scrappage (diesels Euro 1-3 only) and £1.5k dealer contribution. Anyhow wifey loved car - full leather, heated seats, sat nav etc - and I've got the Cooper S All4 to carry my guns and cocker about.

Anyone else taken advantage of this? Expires Dec I'm told.

They hype the new car price up .to make it look like a good deal .you are the one spending money

Not them .you get nothing for nothing in this world .

They dont even have to hype it up £2k is coming from the government and there is plenty of meat in normal new car sales to pay £1500 for the X trail, especially as it will probably get £1000 of that back at the auctions.

Yep, no such thing as discounted anything. Businesses' need to make money and every part needs a piece of the cake. Whatever discounts or cash back deals are given are added on somewhere by someone. I prefer a screen price that is the best they can do, a px which is based on industry standard. Its then up to the consumer to buy or not to buy and dealers will survive on there customer care. The problem is that many people like to barter and feel like they got one over on the salesman therefore screen prices take into account this mentality. Of course from the salesmans point of view they make there money on the extras such as GAP, extended warranties, service deals and of course finance. Cash in pocket no longer is any kind of bargaining tool. Unless its end of month, quarter, year when dealer franchise sales are not quite hitting the mark, good screen prices can be had then on pre reg vehicles. As for govt scrappage, tis just another sales pitch.

None of the above aimed at the OP. All that matters is that one is happy with price to change.

They dont even have to hype it up £2k is coming from the government and there is plenty of meat in normal new car sales to pay £1500 for the X trail, especially as it will probably get £1000 of that back at the auctions.

hows the government paying out £2000 they only put a grand towards the last lot .

Yep new car sales are depressed but from a friend in the trade the margin on the motor we now have was roughly £2k so not a big profit for dealer. The £3k discount we got - over and above the trade value and my motor was rough having picked up damage this summer - on a very high spec car means if we do want to trade up in a year or two we will have a very saleable car with minimal depreciation. X trail will be scrapped despite comments above so the only loser is my garage man. Sales girl was more than a little hacked off I didn't want extra insurances and service plans as this is where sales staff get their bonuses.

IPS - they are not always chasing profit. Cash flow and league tables (numbers of registrations) are of significance at certain times.

Finally, and much more importantly, wife is delighted with car.

Yep new car sales are depressed but from a friend in the trade the margin on the motor we now have was roughly £2k so not a big profit for dealer. The £3k discount we got - over and above the trade value and my motor was rough having picked up damage this summer - on a very high spec car means if we do want to trade up in a year or two we will have a very saleable car with minimal depreciation. X trail will be scrapped despite comments above so the only loser is my garage man. Sales girl was more than a little hacked off I didn't want extra insurances and service plans as this is where sales staff get their bonuses.

IPS - they are not always chasing profit. Cash flow and league tables (numbers of registrations) are of significance at certain times.

Wish you well on trading up,we bought a brand new Fiesta Titanium X ecoboost,top spec and 67mpg.Very desirable but we paid £17500 and only got £9000 18 months later.Cars are the biggest wastes of money,there is only one winner and that's the trade.

Exactly my point, this is were pre reg comes into it. As I said my post was not aimed at you just a general point.

Glad the Mrs is happy with her new motor 👍