Centre fire break in

Whitester

I just cant get my head around this Im afraid.

Manufactured rifle barrels are shot quite a few times before they reach the shops; the above would seem to infer that rifles leave the manufacturers in less than a finished condition?

Im not saying that.

Once they leave the manufacturer they are checked that they actually work as they should. QC. What the new owner can do by shooting in the barrel is try and reduce the amount of copper fouling through its liftime they own it.

Do all those final group targets included with some new rifles not mean anything?

Do any manufacturers include instructions to breaking in their barrels to a purchaser of one of their rifles?

It's not a necessity, its a choice if the new owner does it or not.

I didnt get any such instructions with either of the two new rifles I bought.

I remember years ago that it was recommended that you ran a new car in to reduce the wear in the pistons due to imperfections in the bores.

But as has been said, it's entirely up to you.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dougy has nailed it now I shoot in all my rifle barrels I rarely buy new rifle but build my own rifles on good used actions with hand lapped match grade barrels why would I take a chance on not get the best from that barrel I'm going to fire those 50 rounds anyway as I develop a load for the rifle why run it in correctly.

So does anyone have a manufacturers instruction booklet where it states that this should be done?

I had instruction booklets for the two new rifles I owned but there was no mention of any such advice anywhere.

I have a mate who is anal about his rifles ( all bought new incidentally ) and Im sure he would have mentioned it at sometime.

These lads know a bit about barrels...........why not contact them and tell them why they are wrong :rolleyes:

https://www.hps-tr.com/instructions-for-gun-cleaning-running-in

Theyre selling a product they want you to buy; of course theyre right! 😃

I dont think anyone is saying dont do it; just that it isnt necessary; so you shouldnt feel youre neglecting your rifle by not doing it.

Edited by Scully

My father-in-law refused to brush his teeth. Never once would he admit that they needed doing, saying it was unnecessary and a waste of money buying toothpaste. He lost most of his brown tombstones when he was in his 40s, but even then put it down to "Newfangled food additives"

No it isn't "Necessary", and you won't be "Neglecting" your rifle, but it will prolong the accurate life of your barrel.

As you say it's choices. :good:

My father-in-law refused to brush his teeth. Never once would he admit that they needed doing, saying it was unnecessary and a waste of money buying toothpaste. He lost most of his brown tombstones when he was in his 40s, but even then put it down to "Newfangled food additives"

No it isn't "Necessary", and you won't be "Neglecting" your rifle, but it will prolong the accurate life of your barrel.

:

Thats an odd statement; rifle barrels arent made of enamel.

That last sentence is a bold statement to make; can you tell me where a manufacturer has stated that breaking in your rifle will prolong the accurate life of your barrel?

A brand new stainless barrel turns a nice straw colour at the Crown after about 10 single shots leaving to cool and cleaning In-between. The straw colour is heat transfer,this in my mind is the most crucial part of the job. Do you think on a Friday afternoon they take as much care rifling a barrel and cleaning it ready to send out. Hence why a thorough clean before would be a good idea. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Most custom rifle makers will tell you to run in your rebarrel or custom bulit rifles but then they are making high quality rifles like Maclarens not ford mondeo Tikka T3s

This topic appears to be rattling some folk.

Ok, then after youve finished belittling the choice of some peoples rifle choice; Im more than happy to agree theres a benefit to it, but only if you can show me a manufacturers statement advising a buyer to do so.

I have a Ford Mondeo T3; it is phenomenally accurate despite an RFD telling me the bore is flawed.

Edited by Scully

I've told you custom rifle builders or do you not can't them as manufacturers.

Not be littling anyone's choice a mondoe does a very good job not your not going to service it as often as a maclaren or get a service after the first 500 miles as the engine breaks in. The mondoe would benefit from it but ford won't ask you to do it.

The T3 will benefit from it but Tikka won't direct you to do it.

This topic appears to be rattling some folk.

Ok, then after youve finished belittling the choice of some peoples rifle choice; Im more than happy to agree theres a benefit to it, but only if you can show me a manufacturers statement advising a buyer to do so.

I have a Ford Mondeo T3; it is phenomenally accurate despite an RFD telling me the bore is flawed.

My Begara b14 manual says to run the barrel in, will get manual out and try and copy it

I've told you custom rifle builders or do you not can't them as manufacturers.

Arent custom rifle builders manufacturers? So show me a custom rifle builder/ manufacturer who states in their literature that breaking in their barrels as others have advocated, should be carried out.

Like I said, Im more than happy to be convinced if its necessity if if is in fact necessary.

Horse and water. ;-)

That applies equally.

My Begara b14 manual says to run the barrel in, will get manual out and try and copy it

Fair enough. Can you post a link as to how it should be done please, and why it should be done?

Sorted. Thanks for that Activeviii.

Thats the way Howa recommend you do it. Now can anyone post a link to what the other rifle manufacturers recommend?

Also, can anyone post a link to what effect NOT doing this will have on their rifles, just for those of us who have never done it but still manage to get pin point accuracy and long life from their rifles?

😉 Thanks.

Sorted. Thanks for that Activeviii.

Thats the way Howa recommend you do it. Now can anyone post a link to what the other rifle manufacturers recommend?

Also, can anyone post a link to what effect NOT doing this will have on their rifles, just for those of us who have never done it but still manage to get pin point accuracy and long life from their rifles?

Thanks.

Crumbs Scully, enough is enough.

If someone wants to shoot in their barrel then fine, I do and mine work, if others don't it's up to them.

It is possible that someone may have an exceptionally well made barrel that may give better results without being shot in, than a poorly made barrel that has been appropriately shot in. There are always exceptions, but put simply, shooting in a barrel can never do any harm and only potentially good, so what is the issue?!

Edited by Dekers