vintage tractor

viking

We used to use an old Nuffield for getting the silage in because it pulled like a train and was fast(FOR A tractor).they restore well.

It had a pto flat belt pulley on the side as well.Used that on a sawbench in winter for cutting logs.

um brings back memories my brother in law had one with a sawbench, he was sawing logs when the blade jammed, the wood he had hold of knocked off his feet, zing !!!!!!!! lost three fingers off his left hand, picked them up drove back home with them wrapped in a rag. couldn't save them!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bloke rang tonight, said battery was U/S so put a new one on, power washed it and said it runs like a watch with no noises whatsoever,nearly gave away what it was then, but deleted some of what i was going to say :lol::lol: there is only one man on here who knows what it is and he is "the chosen one" :good::good:

the more i look into it the more im thinking its one of the last they did, the best they did and a bit of a special model, just seen on on ebay for restoration going for a few hundred quid more than i paid for mine, and from the photos mine looks far far better, might turn out to be a billy bargain :yahoo:

aaaaaaannnd..............we were still threshing ............reaper/binder used to do 40 acres every year .....then stook and stack....threshing in the winter for the straw for thatching..........

i know what that is.........put me out of my misery........

Tied the bottoms of your trousers to stop the mice and rats running them .... old pair of long socks on your arms to stop them getting ripped to shreds when stooking, eight to a stook, knots inwards laid the heads in tight. Have 3 compressed vertebrae and constant sciatica from humping those railway sacks. Murder handling them on the first bagger combines as well.

Tied the bottoms of your trousers to stop the mice and rats running them .... old pair of long socks on your arms to stop them getting ripped to shreds when stooking, eight to a stook, knots inwards laid the heads in tight. Have 3 compressed vertebrae and constant sciatica from humping those railway sacks. Murder handling them on the first bagger combines as well.

yup done that.....on a class 500 with a sack slide......dirty work....and the canvas table always needed mending.........

www.hixandson.co.uk/white-hall-farm-wisbech/

Get yourself there and get a proper project!

La bala might know the place? Initials JF?

Some nice items in those photos. The one I really admire is in many ways the most primitive of them all, the Smyth drill. Such a simple way of disengaging the drive, by tilting the hopper to take the gears out of mesh and then hooking the lever under a little tab. Very suitable for the ambidextrous operator, who could pull that lever with the right hand at the same time as rotating the handle pretty quickly with the left hand to get the coulters out of the ground for the headland turn. The provision for adding extra weight to coulters that ran behind the tractor wheels. The double-sided cups that allowed one shaft to be used for two different sizes of seed. So versatile, with little flaps so that you could shut off individual spouts when sowing things like kale at wide row spacing. And those big diameter telescoping tin spouts didn’t seem to kink and block as badly as the horrid narrow rubber ones on some of the post-WW2 designs. Yes, that's the one I would buy to satisfy my nostalgia, if only I had the storage space.

they look a bit big for me, and like they have just come out of a hedge.

how do you go about getting a log book for it so i can drive it on the road, also i think someone said there is no mot or tax needed, is this correct :hmm::hmm:

Very bad move buying one without a log book as they are not the easiest of vehicles to register for road use.

Thanks to those folk who have posted their reminiscences on this thread. It takes one back to a different time : harvest fields with all the family working, hand-milked dairy shorthorns, watching a chap with an arm like a leg of pork starting the Fordson by hand, being allowed to run around the tractor turning the TVO on and the petrol off, before myxy with rabbits everywhere, before sprays with insects everywhere. The past is indeed another country.