Food banks.

Red-dot

6 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I actually don't mean about numeric minorities, nor can you draw a direct comparison between a single fact of a single incident such as your temperature variable example and a complex social issue like the status of women in Society. I simply refer to people are more educated and widely knowledgeable about a set of issues than another. For example, doesn't everyone here get very fed up with the "be nice to animals" brigade and the "don't kill it, that's cruel" chorus? Such people who say those things are working from their own facts, they don't have to actually look at the examples and the applications, or even real applications of the principle, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they would change their tune if they had to work on the land and survive from it for a year or two. How fluffy are bunnies when they've eaten the results of your backbreaking work? As an example, take homophobia. Some people can't accept that saying "that's so gay" as a synonym for "that's something bad" is a problem, in fact, they think it's their goddamn right to say that, but I bet that would change if they had a gay child who hated themselves to the point of mental health problems because of all the homophobic input they had, which included saying "that's so gay."  Suddenly it's not one tiny little thing that doesn't matter, it's part of a flock of hundreds of tiny little things that all matter. Where do you start? You start with what matters to you.

I understand your point of view.
But my minorities example is still relevant, would you rather have the word 'gay' banned so it didnt cause offence ?
Of course you wont, gay people use it all the time with no issues.
So its the context in which its used that may cause offence, but then people have been getting butt hurt for a long time over casual remarks taken out of context.
Is it worthy of making it into a hate crime to keep the minority happy ?, I think not.
But guess what, it is.

Your point about the countryside is interesting too, as a group of people( a majority) who had nothing to do with fox hunting  with dogs (the minority), or the countryside in general, got fox hunting banned because it offended them.
But we can kill them others ways with no issue, ie thats doesnt offend them.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ehb102 said:

The PC culture ends for everyone when they get affected. Or when someone they love gets affected. Or when they finally realise how it's been affecting them. Until then, people sit on the privilege and think it's all someone else's problem.. 

As someone said about climate change: The facts are the facts, whether you believe them or not. 

:good:

Trust me those who shout loudest about so called PC will be the first to scream persecution once the tables are turned. You couldn't live with a non PC world for a single day.

9 hours ago, ehb102 said:

I actually don't mean about numeric minorities, nor can you draw a direct comparison between a single fact of a single incident such as your temperature variable example and a complex social issue like the status of women in Society. I simply refer to people are more educated and widely knowledgeable about a set of issues than another. For example, doesn't everyone here get very fed up with the "be nice to animals" brigade and the "don't kill it, that's cruel" chorus? Such people who say those things are working from their own facts, they don't have to actually look at the examples and the applications, or even real applications of the principle, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they would change their tune if they had to work on the land and survive from it for a year or two. How fluffy are bunnies when they've eaten the results of your backbreaking work? As an example, take homophobia. Some people can't accept that saying "that's so gay" as a synonym for "that's something bad" is a problem, in fact, they think it's their goddamn right to say that, but I bet that would change if they had a gay child who hated themselves to the point of mental health problems because of all the homophobic input they had, which included saying "that's so gay."  Suddenly it's not one tiny little thing that doesn't matter, it's part of a flock of hundreds of tiny little things that all matter. Where do you start? You start with what matters to you.

The problem with that is, in my opinion, when you give people special protections, it gives them an unfair advantage, allows them to shut conversation down with simply calling an ism and can cause resentment whch is the opposite of what that legislation was meant to do in the first place. I believe in most cases, with freedom of speech and removal pf too much legislation a decent society will police its self.

15 hours ago, Hamster said:

:good:

Trust me those who shout loudest about so called PC will be the first to scream persecution once the tables are turned. You couldn't live with a non PC world for a single day.

Actually ,I was born into a non PC world 50 years ago today :yahoo:
The earth still turned, and people went about their business, a spade got called a spade and no one cried.
The trouble with the present day, is people want wrapping in cotton wool, and their **** wiping for them, making us ,as a people weaker and weaker.

Your comment makes little sense.

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The earth still turned, and people went about their business, a spade got called a spade and no one cried.
The trouble with the present day, is people want wrapping in cotton wool, and their **** wiping for them, making us ,as a people weaker and weaker.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rewulf, i am 68 in a few weeks time and your comments were even more relevant

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

No you weren't, you were born into a world in which you could say what you liked and people were too scared to take offence, the offence was there nonetheless, today you can't and that's what grates with some people who can't get used to a changing world that doesn't favour them. 

Not my quote but : "when you're accustomed to privilege equality feels like oppression".

26 minutes ago, yod dropper said:

Oh Hamster!  You are funny!

:)

46 minutes ago, Hamster said:

No you weren't, you were born into a world in which you could say what you liked and people were too scared to take offence, the offence was there nonetheless, today you can't and that's what grates with some people who can't get used to a changing world that doesn't favour them. 

Not my quote but : "when you're accustomed to privilege equality feels like oppression".

Really ?
Maybe people back then were more thick skinned than now, probably because they had not gone through life being spoon fed by the state.
Someone on this thread spoke of the 'offence industry' its a real thing running through society, that panders to people who may have got a bit upset about something, and are too damn mardy to suck it up and just get on with their life.
You know, like being offended by a fairy story , or a nursery rhyme, if you cant see it ,you are part of the problem.

OK people lets have a little adult discussion about what you all actually mean by PC, what is it that irks you so much about modern life and its "limitations" ? Give us a couple of examples of what you were allowed to say back then which you feel is unfair you can't any more. :beer::)

FWIW I don't think you can change history and start censoring old stories which were written and told with zero malice but I am also firmly on the side of making sure some of the older filums treatment of women as objects to be ravished and abandoned or Africans being routinely depicted as savages etc, don't make a come back. I won't miss any of that. 

It is silly Hamster.  And worrying.   Creeping insidious Cultural Marxism.  Read any number of books such as 'Wild Swans' on China or the other Marxist regimes and one can see the parallels of thought control.  Still, if that's your thing.

Yet more of it:

"Oxford college bans 'harmful' Christian Union from freshers' fair".  The Guardian also the story.  Not even a case of saying it, more their presence is deemed to be potentially offensive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/10/10/oxford-college-bans-harmful-christian-union-freshers-fair/

55 minutes ago, Hamster said:

OK people lets have a little adult discussion about what you all actually mean by PC, what is it that irks you so much about modern life and its "limitations" ? Give us a couple of examples of what you were allowed to say back then which you feel is unfair you can't any more. :beer::)

FWIW I don't think you can change history and start censoring old stories which were written and told with zero malice but I am also firmly on the side of making sure some of the older filums treatment of women as objects to be ravished and abandoned or Africans being routinely depicted as savages etc, don't make a come back. I won't miss any of that. 

I'll bite, just one of many, try having a conversation about brexit, you'll immediately be branded racist by some, it'll take you longer to explain your not in fact racist, by which time the arguments been shut down, which is what they intendd to happen all along, if you can't see how this unbalanced sociey that gives certain people privillaged protection stopping free speech and the negative impact it has on society causing resentment you'll never see it.

On 22/11/2017 at 13:50, Hamster said:

.....We do now know Gaddafi was murdered because he wanted to get African nations to organise their currency under a gold backed system independent of the petro dollar so clearly someone thinks the system is worth killing for. .....

What on earth is this about?  You repeatedly tell us we are brainwashed by Mainstream Media.  Us?  Brainwashed?

23 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'll bite, just one of many, try having a conversation about brexit, you'll immediately be branded racist by some, it'll take you longer to explain your not in fact racist, by which time the arguments been shut down, which is what they intendd to happen all along, if you can't see how this unbalanced sociey that gives certain people privillaged protection stopping free speech and the negative impact it has on society causing resentment you'll never see it.

That's plainly false, I voted for Brexit myself as did the majority and there are hundreds of discussions on social media daily and I have VERY rarely seen anyone be accused of racism over it. 

18 minutes ago, yod dropper said:

What on earth is this about?  You repeatedly tell us we are brainwashed by Mainstream Media.  Us?  Brainwashed?

You need to want to see truth, get out there on social media and befriend people and speakers outside your comfort zone. I am afraid it is true, Gaddafi was deposed and his country made ungovernable by the West for reasons wildly different to "him being a dictator" which is the modus operandi of habitual troublemakers. 

22 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I would agree that a lot of that lot seems silly but I can't seriously regard it as representative of daily modern life. 

11 minutes ago, Hamster said:

That's plainly false, I voted for Brexit myself as did the majority and there are hundreds of discussions on social media daily and I have VERY rarely seen anyone be accused of racism over it. 

You need to want to see truth, get out there on social media and befriend people and speakers outside your comfort zone. I am afraid it is true, Gaddafi was deposed and his country made ungovernable by the West for reasons wildly different to "him being a dictator" which is the modus operandi of habitual troublemakers. 

It's not plainly false at all, look at the accusations thrown by some in remain, it's enabling racism, hate crimes gone up, ect ect ect, not to mention the allocations thrown at Farage to shut him down. We live in a PC snow flake culture, people need to toughen up.

Beg to differ, & I'm not on FB, but the race card as usual was echoing, in fact IIRC everyone who voted brexit was classed racist among other things by the snowflake left.

6 minutes ago, Hamster said:

That's not to say that Brexit hasn't enabled a certain amount of racist undertones within society ;) hundreds of non British people have reported incidents of hostile attitudes since - this is something I blame not on the public but on certain elements within society which capitalised on some peoples innate bigotry. In fact only last week I had a lil episode in Argos myself, having made a perfectly legitimate and polite protest over the length of time I was being kept waiting despite my number being called up, as I went to leave some moron made a little comment, I turned around and asked him what he had said which of course turned into a mumble. Another moron then saw fit to say : this is England :lol::hmm:to which I replied so, I am British............he also undoubtedly heard the other word as I left them to it. 

Don't step on peoples toes and they'll not step on yours. 

Just now, Bazooka Joe said:

Beg to differ, & I'm not on FB, but the race card as usual was echoing, in fact IIRC everyone who voted brexit was classed racist among other things by the snowflake left.

I beg to differ the other way. 

2 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

It's not plainly false at all, look at the accusations thrown by some in remain, it's enabling racism, hate crimes gone up, ect ect ect, not to mention the allocations thrown at Farage to shut him down. We live in a PC snow flake culture, people need to toughen up.

Oh people are toughening up, it's just that many don't like it both ways. 

14 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I would agree that a lot of that lot seems silly but I can't seriously regard it as representative of daily modern life. 

Sorry but, like it or not, it is - or is it that because it does not fit your agenda it is silly (like most of the liberal snowflake left ideas are)

3 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Sorry but, like it or not, it is - or is it that because it does not fit your agenda it is silly (like most of the liberal snowflake left ideas are)

I have no agenda beyond fairness for all and as I said I think a lot of that is silly, if it makes you feel better it's damn damn stupid. 

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

Aah, cant you ?
A certain mindset in the US  wants statues that 'offend' them pulled down.

Certain things are not taught in schools anymore, because they might upset some minorities.

I certainly dont agree with stereotypes, but if you are depicting certain things within a historical theme, I would rather have them as they were, not sanitised, so they dont offend someone somewhere.

Some of us will remember Alf Garnet, or Love Thy Neighbour, a satirical comedy, where the white man is the fool.
But you wont see that on comedy gold any time soon, waaay too offensive to some.

Try listening to some song lyrics by some British and US rap groups, youve got the lot in there, homophobia, violence towards police/women/other rappers.
With a liberal topping of that sexual exploitation of women that people get so offended by.
'Songs' so filled with expletives that most of it cant be played on the radio .
How come no one gets offended by this ?
Because theyre a minority, and its their 'culture'  all good then ! :lol:

Where does it end ?
Where some countries are making it a crime to get someones gender identity wrong, as with the teacher mentioned above, where do we end up with this ?
No one dares to talk to anyone anymore, for fear of being reported for a hate crime.

42 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Aah, cant you ?
A certain mindset in the US  wants statues that 'offend' them pulled down.

Certain things are not taught in schools anymore, because they might upset some minorities.

I certainly dont agree with stereotypes, but if you are depicting certain things within a historical theme, I would rather have them as they were, not sanitised, so they dont offend someone somewhere.

Some of us will remember Alf Garnet, or Love Thy Neighbour, a satirical comedy, where the white man is the fool.
But you wont see that on comedy gold any time soon, waaay too offensive to some.

Try listening to some song lyrics by some British and US rap groups, youve got the lot in there, homophobia, violence towards police/women/other rappers.
With a liberal topping of that sexual exploitation of women that people get so offended by.
'Songs' so filled with expletives that most of it cant be played on the radio .
How come no one gets offended by this ?
Because theyre a minority, and its their 'culture'  all good then ! :lol:

Where does it end ?
Where some countries are making it a crime to get someones gender identity wrong, as with the teacher mentioned above, where do we end up with this ?
No one dares to talk to anyone anymore, for fear of being reported for a hate crime.

Some of the most vile and offensive (if taken out of context and literally) lyrics in the rap world are from white artists including Marshal Mathers aka Eminem whom I love to bits. It's not necessarily cultural or unique to one ethnicity.