Mice!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, old man said:

About usual? Enough natural here for weeks. 

I think so,  but the pigeons and deer will fill there boots as well, plus all the other critters.

I'm taking the amount of nuts on the floor as a sign of few squirrels,  there are signs of Hazel nuts being chewed but not many.

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I think so,  but the pigeons and deer will fill there boots as well, plus all the other critters.

I'm taking the amount of nuts on the floor as a sign of few squirrels,  there are signs of Hazel nuts being chewed but not many.

They seem to be on Spanish chestnut and Beech predominately where I go.

I checked a feeder today and I had not lokked at it for over a week. I think probably one tree rat had taken a nibble but hardly touched and this is on the edge of a 500 patch of timber.  I still have the odd one trying to get into our orchard/wood but even they are not interested in the feeders.   BUT went very cold here this morning so they may need to stock up on food in the next week or so.

I’ve been out of action for 10 weeks or so because of surgery. Before I went in to hospital I filled up my large feeder in a conservation wood. Having arranged for a friend to keep it covered during my absence I was amazed to hear that for the last eight weeks it hasn’t been touched. Now, that’s a wood where I took over a hundred squirrels from last year. This year I’ve had 34 up until 7th July, which was my last visit.

In early August, I got laid low by the Chinese plague and haven’t picked up a gun in over 2 months.

Today, was a lovely day and I felt fit enough to tackle my only permission that isn’t too steep. As it is privately owned, I decided to take my grandfathers favourite 12b rather than my moderated .410

As soon as I parked up and got out of the car, a grey came down a large Beech tree straight towards me. Of course as soon as I fetched the gun out of the car, it had disappeared. I waited 20 minutes then moved on. It was too sunny for the thermal.

Further on, I came to a clearing where the owner stacks his woodpiles and I could hear a distinct clucking, the same sort of noise an angry trapped grey makes, when you approach.

I looked up and saw a grey sat on a branch 20 ft in front of me, bang went the 12bore and I was propelled backwards! - I have lost weight and forgotten how powerful a 12b compared to a .410 firing subs!

As my hearing cleared, the grey was dead on the floor but the clucking increased in intensity, walking round the stack, to my amazement, a grey came out of the stack at waist height 2 ft in front of me and ran the length of the stack, I didn’t have time to raise the gun and fired from the waist, boom and down it came. 

C90954AE-C41C-4191-9594-33E5A7DF0F1B.jpeg.8c9296cbf31d6f3aedce2f0d3e81c4ec.jpeg

The Stack

5B383E3A-7CB9-48F0-8EEF-140FD9DC831F.jpeg.505a8d076c63b8f8e920ee13e982c124.jpeg

Two of the smallest greys I have ever shot!

The day wasn’t over, a bit further on , there was a flash of red running across a fallen tree, unfortunately it wasn’t a red squirrel (they are close by) but a beautiful stoat, it turned and ran towards me into some brash just 5 ft away, unfortunately too quick to get the camera.

A great start to Autumn shooting.

54 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

In early August, I got laid low by the Chinese plague and haven’t picked up a gun in over 2 months.

Today, was a lovely day and I felt fit enough to tackle my only permission that isn’t too steep. As it is privately owned, I decided to take my grandfathers favourite 12b rather than my moderated .410

As soon as I parked up and got out of the car, a grey came down a large Beech tree straight towards me. Of course as soon as I fetched the gun out of the car, it had disappeared. I waited 20 minutes then moved on. It was too sunny for the thermal.

Further on, I came to a clearing where the owner stacks his woodpiles and I could hear a distinct clucking, the same sort of noise an angry trapped grey makes, when you approach.

I looked up and saw a grey sat on a branch 20 ft in front of me, bang went the 12bore and I was propelled backwards! - I have lost weight and forgotten how powerful a 12b compared to a .410 firing subs!

As my hearing cleared, the grey was dead on the floor but the clucking increased in intensity, walking round the stack, to my amazement, a grey came out of the stack at waist height 2 ft in front of me and ran the length of the stack, I didn’t have time to raise the gun and fired from the waist, boom and down it came. 

The Stack

The day wasn’t over, a bit further on , there was a flash of red running across a fallen tree, unfortunately it wasn’t a red squirrel (they are close by) but a beautiful stoat, it turned and ran towards me into some brash just 5 ft away, unfortunately too quick to get the camera.

Well done mate, I was going to go out, but expecting the feeders to be empty and the trees full, I didn't go!! Much easier going out when you finish nights than getting up when it's cold.

I'll have to finish the repairs on my big feeders and get them back out.

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Well done mate, I was going to go out, but expecting the feeders to be empty and the trees full, I didn't go!! Much easier going out when you finish nights than getting up when it's cold

Yes, I am still having trouble getting the bed off my back as well but at least it’s getting darker in the morning.

Its still raining acorns here- the ground is inches thick in places. 

Hopefully meet up soon when the leaves drop.

On 28/09/2022 at 13:59, Sciurus said:

The Stack

Really great to hear you’ve weathered the Chinese storm. A great start to your autumn season.

Had a very funny thing happen today.  I have an elevated box hide in the farmyard I control vermin on and I put a flip top squirrel feeder on an oak tree on the boundary with the wood next door. It is about twenty yards away. I just nipped in there this afternoon for a quick look and sat for twenty minutes or so, occasionally checking the feeder. Then a great tit settled on a nearby branch and looked agitated, it then hopped onto the feed shelf and was obviously stressed. I sensed it had seen a predator or something it did not like and picked the rifle up to have a look, the bird flew off and the lid on the feeder lifted to reveal a squirrel emerging and low and behold it collided head on with a mosquito going the other way....not one of those insect types but one from my AA S200 of Webley manufacture.  I had walked past that feeder to get to the stairs to the box hide and had a constant view and I am sure that squirrel was in there when I arrived. Half grow male.

Thank you Mr/Mrs Great Tit as I would not probably have seen that squirrel until it was roo late.