Jump to content

squirrel control


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We’ll flip top feeder filled Friday evening. I’ve not shot this wood since just before lockdown. The two feeders I have there were both empty apart from a few peanut husks, having never been filled since 23rd March. Arrived back there this morning and as I stepped out of the pickup “clang” as the lid of feeder 1 dropped down and a squirrel scarpered. Took the gun out of the bag, loaded it and settled down to hide.

Two minutes later squirrel re-appears through the Hawthorne tree behind the feeder, straight onto the top of the feeder, then dives into the feeder for another nut. Dropped like a stone as the FX Verminator did it’s job with a .22 JSB Hades. Heart and lung, these Hades really hit hard, even though the FX is FAC the pellet didn’t exit like the Exacts.

810-AEE4-C-206-E-4-E9-E-8-B6-D-D37088-E9

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

We’ll flip top feeder filled Friday evening. I’ve not shot this wood since just before lockdown. The two feeders I have there were both empty apart from a few peanut husks, having never been filled since 23rd March. Arrived back there this morning and as I stepped out of the pickup “clang” as the lid of feeder 1 dropped down and a squirrel scarpered. Took the gun out of the bag, loaded it and settled down to hide.

Two minutes later squirrel re-appears through the Hawthorne tree behind the feeder, straight onto the top of the feeder, then dives into the feeder for another nut. Dropped like a stone as the FX Verminator did it’s job with a .22 JSB Hades. Heart and lung, these Hades really hit hard, even though the FX is FAC the pellet didn’t exit like the Exacts.

810-AEE4-C-206-E-4-E9-E-8-B6-D-D37088-E9

Nice shooting mate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a walk yesterday,  topped up the feeder which hadn't been used much, then spent two hours having a wander around,  looking for other spots to put up another feeder,  lovely afternoon,  I put up a great looking roe buck but couldn't get a picture. 

Didn't see one squirrel,  saw plenty of chewed hazelnuts and acorns though.

Then I park up after work this morning!!

20200827_071104.jpg.b29bdd403e7f69fdd166d56a5244db45.jpg

Right behind my car, two of them!! I watched one for ten minutes,  doing some serious tail flicking going up and down a tree, seemingly staring at me,  I'm wondering could they smell the food in my boot??

Link to post
Share on other sites

So finished work handy this morning and was at the wood for just after 6 got set up one feeder too my right and the new feeder to my left. I was starting too feel tierd come 7 o'clock and was just about too go home for some sleep and I noticed a branch move too my left in the corner of my eye but couldn't see anything moments later a squirrel runs up the tree straight onto the new feeder, she sits on top for a minute and then down grabs a peanut nice and settled and down she goes. I have woke up now so decided too wait a little longer 15 minutes later another appears this time heading for the original feeder straight onto it peanut in hand and down he goes. My first double on the squirrels so made up 😁 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A while ago I had shot one on the feeder and then 30 mins of nothing.

Just about to go and my phone went.

Had to interupt the phone call twice to shoot another 2 that turned up.

So sometimes a little more time can pay dividends.

When theres nothing doing a call sometimes gets them moving and inevitably they show up for food.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Martlandhw100 said:

So finished work handy this morning and was at the wood for just after 6 got set up one feeder too my right and the new feeder to my left. I was starting too feel tierd come 7 o'clock and was just about too go home for some sleep and I noticed a branch move too my left in the corner of my eye but couldn't see anything moments later a squirrel runs up the tree straight onto the new feeder, she sits on top for a minute and then down grabs a peanut nice and settled and down she goes. I have woke up now so decided too wait a little longer 15 minutes later another appears this time heading for the original feeder straight onto it peanut in hand and down he goes. My first double on the squirrels so made up 😁 

Nicely done, a bit of movement and a squirrel will wake you up👍

 

4 hours ago, Robertt said:

A while ago I had shot one on the feeder and then 30 mins of nothing.

Just about to go and my phone went.

Had to interupt the phone call twice to shoot another 2 that turned up.

So sometimes a little more time can pay dividends.

When theres nothing doing a call sometimes gets them moving and inevitably they show up for food.

 

All the time we spend keeping quiet and you get two on the phone 😅😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Robertt said:

A while ago I had shot one on the feeder and then 30 mins of nothing.

Just about to go and my phone went.

Had to interupt the phone call twice to shoot another 2 that turned up.

So sometimes a little more time can pay dividends.

When theres nothing doing a call sometimes gets them moving and inevitably they show up for food.

 

Usually happens just as I put the rifle down and pick up my mug of coffee !!

Good to hear some of you are seing them. It has gone very quiet down here no food going but the ground covered in acorns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Robertt said:

A while ago I had shot one on the feeder and then 30 mins of nothing.

Just about to go and my phone went.

Had to interupt the phone call twice to shoot another 2 that turned up.

So sometimes a little more time can pay dividends.

When theres nothing doing a call sometimes gets them moving and inevitably they show up for food.

 

Might remember that what when it goes quiet see if a phone call can get them out of hiding 😂😂

It certainly woke me up alright 🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Usually happens just as I put the rifle down and pick up my mug of coffee !!

Good to hear some of you are seing them. It has gone very quiet down here no food going but the ground covered in acorns.

I knew there where squirrels still using the feeders from the camera footage it seemed like they like where the new feeder is in position 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ratchers said:

Gone four hours in two sessions now and not seen a grey, are they hiding? more likely out on native wild food rather than feeding boxes.

Most likely on the natural food,  but if your feeders are kept filled they'll likely still visit, trail camera's are priceless now, read a few things lately where an odd grey has been seen feeding in the afternoon or evening, no point spending hours in the woods early on if the squirrels are only coming later on.

Still nice to be out though 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Most likely on the natural food,  but if your feeders are kept filled they'll likely still visit, trail camera's are priceless now, read a few things lately where an odd grey has been seen feeding in the afternoon or evening, no point spending hours in the woods early on if the squirrels are only coming later on.

Still nice to be out though 👍

The one thing I have noticed in that wood I'm in apart from 1 oak tree there isn't many other trees that I think squirrels feed on tbh, probably why they are still using the feeders. 

And the cameras definitely do come in handy this was one of the reasons I went in the morning because there had been alot of activity in the morning from 7 o'clock onwards and loan behold the first squirrel was at 7.15am definitely worth investing in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well nipped out for a couple of hours this week....well 4 hours actually....feeder wasn't totally empty,  set up and ready for 6.30, at 8.20 first one turned up ran straight past the feeder ran around for 10mins then stopped still just long enough for me to slip a shot off nailing it at the back of the ear as it was facing away from me. Another hour passed then another came from my right ran straight to the feeder picked a bit of grain up facing me straight on, it was the last thing it did, with it facing me straight on it was a formality.....love those type of shots. At 10.30 after i had finished my flask i decided to pack up but just as i put the gun down another sprinted in and sat at the bottom of the tree where my feeder is placed, looked at me in the hide flicked its tail, another face on shot down it went. I saw another in the background running round like Usain Bolt but it didn't come anywhere near so that was that. I took some pics of the face on shots just to show how little blood there is....cheers

Mick

20200824_102826.jpg

20200824_085704.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mick.c said:

Well nipped out for a couple of hours this week....well 4 hours actually....feeder wasn't totally empty,  set up and ready for 6.30, at 8.20 first one turned up ran straight past the feeder ran around for 10mins then stopped still just long enough for me to slip a shot off nailing it at the back of the ear as it was facing away from me. Another hour passed then another came from my right ran straight to the feeder picked a bit of grain up facing me straight on, it was the last thing it did, with it facing me straight on it was a formality.....love those type of shots. At 10.30 after i had finished my flask i decided to pack up but just as i put the gun down another sprinted in and sat at the bottom of the tree where my feeder is placed, looked at me in the hide flicked its tail, another face on shot down it went. I saw another in the background running round like Usain Bolt but it didn't come anywhere near so that was that. I took some pics of the face on shots just to show how little blood there is....cheers

Mick

20200824_102826.jpg

20200824_085704.jpg

Great shooting mate 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been blank for two weeks then saw one run across my own wood this morning.  Will have a surprise for it tomorrow morning.  Cutting up some felled oak this mroning and the ground was absolutely covered with acorns. My hazels and walnuts are similarly heavy. Seems a good year for natural food.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2020 at 21:17, mick.c said:

Well nipped out for a couple of hours this week....well 4 hours actually....feeder wasn't totally empty,  set up and ready for 6.30, at 8.20 first one turned up ran straight past the feeder ran around for 10mins then stopped still just long enough for me to slip a shot off nailing it at the back of the ear as it was facing away from me. Another hour passed then another came from my right ran straight to the feeder picked a bit of grain up facing me straight on, it was the last thing it did, with it facing me straight on it was a formality.....love those type of shots. At 10.30 after i had finished my flask i decided to pack up but just as i put the gun down another sprinted in and sat at the bottom of the tree where my feeder is placed, looked at me in the hide flicked its tail, another face on shot down it went. I saw another in the background running round like Usain Bolt but it didn't come anywhere near so that was that. I took some pics of the face on shots just to show how little blood there is....cheers

Mick

20200824_102826.jpg

20200824_085704.jpg

Thought I'd replied to this, I've always preferred hitting them from the side, or underneath when there above you, but the few I've taken face on have just slumped down, no twitching or jumping just dead.

Good shooting mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are ignoring all of my traps and most of the feeders at the moment. Had the one which I shot this morning walk right passed a trap/feeder full of peanuts with peanuts on the floor below. It had a hazel nut in it's mouth which it was about to plant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out in a wood at daybreak this morning which is known to have Reds and occasional greys. Feeders not being touched by either. Spotted frass falling from the top a 60ft pine. Used the thermal spotter and located the squirrel partially hidden in the canopy. Thought I could see the halo on its tail in the sunlight. I held my fire until I could get a better view. Waited for it to move and as it set off to forage for another pine cone I had a clear view and saw It was a Red 👍. Saw two other Reds scampering around the trunk of a pine tree but no greys. Very enjoyable 2 hours in the woods. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone was asking about best squirrel traps and I can't find the original thread, anyway here are a couple of photos of my own set up and the traps I use. As i explained in the original thread I put a bird peanut feeder upfront behind the treddle. I have to put a wire mesh frame over the trap because I keep catching pheasants trying to get at the peanuts.

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing a few recon trips lately,  cycling around and looking for squirrels,  I'm seeing a lot of chewed conkers, sweet chestnut, acorns,  pine cones, hazelnuts so it's no wonder the feeders are quiet. 

I went up to Big wood today,  I've not been for two weeks and haven't shot it for nearly a month,  the feeder just hasn't been getting used.

I shoved all sorts in a few weeks ago, couple of hands full of green hazelnuts,  fresh green pine cones from home and some over ripe plums,  the lot was gone, plus the seed and nuts were getting low so its being used.

It was a lovely cool morning,  the bracken is changing colour and it felt very Autumnal. 

First squirrel went past behind the feeder and vanished,  then while twisting around to my right I heard a noise to my left, I looked round and there is a squirrel on my game bag, sniffing maybe 2 feet from me, we both jumped,  it went up the fence looking at me, probably wondering where I had come from!! That went off up into the canopy. 

I had crows flying through the wood like hawks? Before going into the oaks for acorns, that made things hard work. 

Another squirrel went past me right to left, not fast or alarmed it just new where it was going.

Then one popped up maybe 15 yards in front of me, coming towards me along the fence, it paused at about 9 yards and pfft.

Nothing on the feeder, or near it, but the ground is covered in acorns.

20200917_172116.jpg.46cd0abd388c92177750317acaf08eca.jpg

Healthy mature female, couple of ticks.

20200917_172132.jpg.9e4e0fc3631be65d4d05c11b7399819f.jpg

Feeder with hazelnuts,  some small sweet chestnuts and a conker.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've been doing a few recon trips lately,  cycling around and looking for squirrels,  I'm seeing a lot of chewed conkers, sweet chestnut, acorns,  pine cones, hazelnuts so it's no wonder the feeders are quiet. 

I went up to Big wood today,  I've not been for two weeks and haven't shot it for nearly a month,  the feeder just hasn't been getting used.

I shoved all sorts in a few weeks ago, couple of hands full of green hazelnuts,  fresh green pine cones from home and some over ripe plums,  the lot was gone, plus the seed and nuts were getting low so its being used.

It was a lovely cool morning,  the bracken is changing colour and it felt very Autumnal. 

First squirrel went past behind the feeder and vanished,  then while twisting around to my right I heard a noise to my left, I looked round and there is a squirrel on my game bag, sniffing maybe 2 feet from me, we both jumped,  it went up the fence looking at me, probably wondering where I had come from!! That went off up into the canopy. 

I had crows flying through the wood like hawks? Before going into the oaks for acorns, that made things hard work. 

Another squirrel went past me right to left, not fast or alarmed it just new where it was going.

Then one popped up maybe 15 yards in front of me, coming towards me along the fence, it paused at about 9 yards and pfft.

Nothing on the feeder, or near it, but the ground is covered in acorns.

20200917_172116.jpg.46cd0abd388c92177750317acaf08eca.jpg

Healthy mature female, couple of ticks.

20200917_172132.jpg.9e4e0fc3631be65d4d05c11b7399819f.jpg

Feeder with hazelnuts,  some small sweet chestnuts and a conker.

 

Nice work if the food is going down maybe they are starting to use it again, probably a good time too put your camera up to get an idea, I went to check mine yesterday a some little **** has robbed my camera 😡😡 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...