some advice

stu_young

Wabbitbosher. 

That said i asked around at my club if anyone had anything suitable to try left handed, everyone scarpered to their cars and brought all manner of things back. A few minutes later i had an almost straight stocked browning on my left shoulder and within a few shots it was clear shooting left handed was for me, even though the gun was still slightly cast for a right hander. Borrow something if you can for a few shots before spending money. 

Edit: for me it was clear very quickly (2-3 shots) that shooting from the left with both eyes open felt so natural it was the way forward, but as others have suggested the £300 might be best spent on a lesson to explore different techniques, getting your stock bent straight or a little to he the left if need be, and the remainder on cartridges for practicing.

Edited by Wb123

I'm left eye dominant, right handed, and shoot a shotgun with a RH cast, left-handed. Needless to say when I miss I have a plethora of excuses to choose from. :lol: That said, because of my eye dominance I learned to shoot left-handed at an early age, and don't have many issues with using RH guns providing the cast isn't severe.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

See a good coach.

+1

Having seen you and evaluated your eye dominance and style, will advise accordingly.  There are many ways of tackling this (I have the same left eye right shoulder issue) - and I do as Scully says, but other ways may suit you.

I am the opposite i.e left handed and right eye dominant and do as Scully has said. My eye dominance changed in later life so I found it difficult and unnatural to then shoot right handed. This I find OK for most of my shooting (not clays) but struggle a bit with 'snap' or more 'instinctive' shooting.

However, if you can, the best option IMHO, would be to shoot left handed, thus keeping both eyes open and have the gun suitably cast on by a professional gun fitter.

Good luck with whatever option you chose.

OB