Rod Building

Jonty

4 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Aside from the enormous sense of self satisfaction of making something yourself, which I fully appreciate, is there any advantage in making your own rod up as opposed to buying one?

Only that you can build exactly what you want. Like flytying and reloading you certainly don't get into it to save money it's more satisfaction and customisation. I have been pike fishing with two mates before now and every fish caught that day was on one of my rods.

The problem I found was it was getting harder to buy supplies as the demand was minimal, as shops just gave up on it. Not sure if that is still the case?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Your med-fast action might be to stiff for czeching, watch when you strike,

the rod needs to give a lot especially when the fish are close in. ..:good:

Thanks, probably to an able fisherman, but To be honest, I prefer the faster action,  I have the reactions of a sloth so being in touch with the fly works for me.... That and the only other rod I've ever used for this type of fishing is a fast action and I know no better

5 hours ago, Dunkield said:
9 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Only that you can build exactly what you want. Like flytying and reloading you certainly don't get into it to save money it's more satisfaction and customisation. I have been pike fishing with two mates before now and every fish caught that day was on one of my rods.

The problem I found was it was getting harder to buy supplies as the demand was minimal, as shops just gave up on it. Not sure if that is still the case?

Agreed 100%, it's like catching a fish on a fly you have tied yourself - even better if you shot the fur/feather it was made with.

im not sure how long ago it was since you made your last rod but there is a (literally) bewildering array of supplies available now, to the point where I'm on information overload as to what I really need and what would be tackle tart kit.

It was probably longer ago than I remember, as always. I used to buy North Western blanks and then have to hunt far a wide for the components to complete the builds. eBay wasn't even a thing then. I am guessing all you could ever need can be found on there now, I am trying desperately not to look as I don't the time to get back into it!

You need get some pictures up of your build, your audience is waiting :good:

Killing some time waiting for all the rod bits to come so I've dusted off my fly tying box, these perdigon nymphs are one of the flies I will be fishing on the rod - small and heavy with a glass resin coating they are perfect for this kind of short line fishing when the fly isn't in the water very long so you want it to where the fish are asap.  I know I'll never win any awards but luckily the fish around here don't seem too critical of my tying skills (or lack of them).

885C22D5-35DD-4AB0-B305-B8D8A03B9CAC.jpeg

Edited by Jonty

Made a few over the years, mostly barbel/heavy feeders and carp rods. 

I have lost contact with all the places I use to buy from as shooting got in the way. But, make sure you buy and use the best you can afford in the way of reel mounts, silk and rings. The top coat is very important as well. Some yellow over time. I use to use a two pack clear and a shirnk base coat to pull the threads down tight.

Make a wipping sled, very easy and makes life easy. I use sawing machine thread tensioner. To hold a consistent tention. A couple vee blocks from a plank screwed to a foot of plank and felt line the vee to prevent the rubbing marks on the blank. I made an adjustable length one as made life easier on the fine tips.

Take your time, don't rush the finishing stages and make sure you find the spine/back bone on the blank. This can make a hood blank behalf like a Woolworths rod when casting and playing fish.

I use the wipping stand, a loop on the one end to hold the blank and allow it to spin. Then weight the tip of the blank, spin the blank slowly and watch the weight on the tip for rise and fall. A marker on the floor upto the tip helps.

Good luck, have funny, show us the results

2 hours ago, Dunkield said:

Never seen one of those before, looking at the position of that head does it fish upside down?

You hit the nail on the head it’s called a jig hok Fly fishers upside down to avoid the snags on the bottomFly fishers upside down to avoid the snags on the bottom

On 13 March 2018 at 08:58, ditchman said:

i shall have to find my fly box and show you all one of my creations ....called "the snot bug"......it caught fish but all my fishing mates took the urine

I like the sound of that, there's nothing wrong with a factual name, that said, most of my flies would be called shxxt bug if it were down to appearance 

Ok, I was planning on making a jig out of wood, but I read about the cardboard box method.....it works, I just need to do some practising to get the wrapping right.  Oh, and I took the easy option for my first ring - the one you can glue on ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just had a very quick play, I was pleased I could get the turns fairly tightly together.  Things I can see for myself.... I need to work on the starting off wrap (and loosing the end) and the finishing loop too. Also I think I need to pay the guide feet some attention to make them sit more flatly against the blank and possible file them slightly.  Any comments/observations (positive or negative) appreciated.

image.jpeg

just to interupt these are some of my "snotbugs"...they go translucent when wet...they have been described as strings of wet boggies with nasal hair..anyway it was with these i won top rod at Grapham water Water Aid compertition...bagged up by lunch and largest rainbow....

snotbugs 001tn_.JPG

snotbugs 002tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

You can file the feet (no sharp edges) also try using a dull smooth point to push the threads together to fill your gaps I used to use the end of a broken aluminium arrow 

usefull to put a drop of varnish onto any filed areas on the eyes before whipping 

good to see your having a go 

all the best 

of

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

just to interupt these are some of my "snotbugs"...they go translucent when wet...they have been described as strings of wet boggies with nasal hair..anyway it was with these i won top rod at Grapham water Water Aid compertition...bagged up by lunch and largest rainbow....

snotbugs 001tn_.JPG

snotbugs 002tn_.JPG

Looks like rolled evostick adhesive? But they look like fish catchers rather than angler catchers!:yes:

19 hours ago, Jonty said:

Just had a very quick play, I was pleased I could get the turns fairly tightly together.  Things I can see for myself.... I need to work on the starting off wrap (and loosing the end) and the finishing loop too. Also I think I need to pay the guide feet some attention to make them sit more flatly against the blank and possible file them slightly.  Any comments/observations (positive or negative) appreciated.

image.jpeg

You need to file or grind the end of the feet to a fine taper to avoid that step, you can leave it quite rough as it actually helps the thread 'grip' the foot.

Once you have caught the thread in with your first or second turn cut the lose end with a sharp blade while keeping the pressure on, failing to do that will let it unravel with resulting blue air :) 

From that picture you can see you started off well but then your spacing got too lose, you can even some of that up with a lolly stick (or similar) but it will be neater and stronger if you get it tighter in the first place.

3 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Just a little thing, after whipping rings, coat with "Dope", contracts & tightens whipping

Thanks for the feedback ?

Ive got one section done with three guides, not amazing quality but good enough for me as a first timer.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dunkield said:

I would use a razor blade to cut your thread, that tiny little tuft of thread on the right will get in your way when you are varnishing the whipping.

I agree - with hindsight.... I wanted to get on with it today and couldn't for the life of me find a scalpel in the house so I used the wrong blade, which left the tuft..... I think I'll be replacing the wrapping tomorrow after a visit to town and buying a craft knife.

Not yet mate, I haven’t bought them yet so I’m leaving any attachments to the bottom rod section until I’ve bought them and fitted the seat and handle..... I’ve spent my pocket money for this month so I’m waiting a couple of weeks - the wrapping g will keep me busy for now

Ok, all guides are wrapped on the top three sections, the stripping guide is yet to go on the lower section but that'll wait till the handle etc is fitted.  The lower guides were loads easier on the thicker sections of the rod as my eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm struggling with the thinner more fiddly bits.  I've got a thin layer of thread aster varnish on the threads now, so when that has gone off, they will get a thicker coat in a day or two.  She's no beauty but I'm really enjoying myself.

image.jpeg