‘Milky’ Rabbits - ok to eat?

PPP

Woke up later than hoped but still managed a quick 1.5 hr stint bagging 6 rabbits in the process (I paunch as I go so i have a little less shooting time)

I did my usual, head shoot, squeeze the wee out, split belly and remove contents BUT 5 of the 6 rabbits ( 1 discarded as looked ‘wrong’) had a milky like fluid inside.

3 were does carrying embryos but two were bucks, I haven’t seen this before, what the hell is it and I can I still eat the rabbits once washed in the usual manner?

thanks 

It wasn’t in any kind of sack and the inners hadn’t ruptured as I use a carpet blade to unzip, just in the cavity generally as it were... it’s also weird that it was also in the buck, all bunnies were launched Imediately (still steaming)

47 minutes ago, PPP said:

It wasn’t in any kind of sack and the inners hadn’t ruptured as I use a carpet blade to unzip, just in the cavity generally as it were... it’s also weird that it was also in the buck, all bunnies were launched Imediately (still steaming)

How high did you launch them! ?

I have often had rabbits with a milky substance in the body cavity, and they all get eaten. not sure about the physiology of rabbits but i would expect milk to made in the mammary gland, and not elsewhere in the body. [I would be very interested to hear from someone better qualified`] where abouts are you ? I ask as they must be on their second brood...or third...fourth

42 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I have often had rabbits with a milky substance in the body cavity, and they all get eaten. not sure about the physiology of rabbits but i would expect milk to made in the mammary gland, and not elsewhere in the body. [I would be very interested to hear from someone better qualified`] where abouts are you ? I ask as they must be on their second brood...or third...fourth

Hi, this is in Suffolk border, I think this is brood 3, all does carrying lots of kits too so farmer is keen i get on them because they have really multiplied and we don’t take the small babies

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

How high did you launch them! ?

The one that the HMR deflected into the body cavity was launched pretty high into hedge..

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’ve never seen it in bucks but common in does this time of year. I slit from sternum to groin.

I’m wondering if I mis identified, it was a 5 am rush job... pretty sure I didn’t though...