Plane identity

Yellow Bear

might have been used for trimming veneer or used making musical instruments............if the brass was dead flat it might have been used with a guide.....but it isnt flat and follows the curve of the plane...so as Tightchoke says..."a repair"

It's known as a Block Plane and typically used for delicate work such as planing across the grain or smaller bevelling jobs. The curved sides that give them the coffin shape are for strength and control as they're mostly used one handed. 

Block Planes are still made but generally from steel for the last 100 years or so.

15 hours ago, Westward said:

It's known as a Block Plane and typically used for delicate work such as planing across the grain or smaller bevelling jobs. The curved sides that give them the coffin shape are for strength and control as they're mostly used one handed. 

Block Planes are still made but generally from steel for the last 100 years or so.

You often hear the so called 'experts' on antiques programmes such as 'Antiques Road trip' and 'Flog it ' refer to a Jack plane wrongly as a block plane. I still have both block and Jack planes from my old Dad's tool box. Lovely old things.

Not wishing to derail this thread, but talking of 'experts', Paul Martin on 'Flog it' once held up an old original glass ball target, the precursor of the clay pigeon, and said that they were filled with water and used to put fires out !!  :no: I'm sure the ones filled with feathers were very effective !!

I bet given the chance, Bill Harriman on Antiques Road Show, would have put him right on that one.

OB

5 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

refer to a Jack plane wrongly as a block plane. I still have both block and Jack planes from my old Dad's tool box. Lovely old things.

In the tools "inherited" were wooden "jack" and "Jointer" planes as well as a small (8 inch) steel and Rosewood job made by Thackeray at the end of the 19th century  and a real beauty. 

My original question was because I thought the pictured plane had some special use/term due to the brass on one side.

sweet mother that little thing has earned its living brass side plate  is a repair and  steel sole is a repair from wear and looks like the the wedge has a repair  so full of repairs and  with a sharp blade a still a joy to use  I still prefer wooden planes to cast planes  you can hang on to them better and they feel right  use and enjoy 

Edited by Saltings