Sticky wicket

getthegat

Birds are thinning out in my area, with less stubble, though even after the recent rains, the bean stubble is bringing in a few interested small numbers. So with this in mind, Soph and myself set out across the bottom of a big local field, only to very quickly realise that road tyres and 2 wheel drive is not ideal on wet sticky conditions. We made it about 1/3 mile to my chosen hide side, with the wheels having disappeared under a ton of goo, making the tyres about 4" bigger, filling the arches. We unloaded and luckily manages to back up a bit, then very gently take a large about turn to leave the truck half way back up the field. I put out my usual dozen shell decoys, with two Dippas, and 6 FUDs. I was camped behind my net, with a 20 foot oak tree behind and around me, down at the lowest part of the field and a grass field over the hedge. There are a few other average size trees that the birds like further along the hedge, with a now memorable pylon at the top of the rise that a week or so back, saw Soph and I sheltering under from a massive thunder storm. I had the sun out front and slightly to the left this morning, so I was grateful for my peak cap and sunglasses. I had a few silly misses, but took a few spectacular long high birds that needed a good 6 or 8 foot lead, in the right to left wind. It was a slow day, ending up with 14 picked and 16 down, for 3 hours and about 28 shots ( not great, but 50 percent, I can live with that) I was using Just Cartridge Pigeon Special 30 grm #6, which I really like. Soph has got into a bit of a learning retrieving rut, still messing around snuffling the feathers off instead of picking it straight up, coming back with a half plucked bird and an unpleasant mouthful of feathers, which must make her less likely to want to pick up the next downed woody. (Ideas anyone?) Back on terra firma with mud flying off all the way back to the workshop, the birds were plucked and gutted, ready for cooking later. A pleasant Saturday morning, certainly better than working, that's for sure.??

Put a pigeon in the foot end of a silk stocking or pair of old tights......take the lady out first.  Stretch it over nice and tight and just nick a few holes that a feather or two can protrude from.

My viszla would not retrieve ducks until i did this. Don't ask me why but had no problems once he got the hang of it.  Worth trying.

Yep, even if you have to buy some cheapo 'pop socks', (knee length things). If you have a few, put dead birds into them all, then pop into freezer. Bring out the day before use and the dog should soon learn to bring them back. It is the loose feathers that are causing the problem, hence the almost 'plucked' retrieve.

Edited by Westley

Soph is around 18 months now and not that it matters, but as a rescue dog, she's doing great. 

Yesterday lunchtime, we did some retrieving practice with our bird dummy and as always she did brilliant. Then I pulled a real pigeon out of the freezer and did the same practice. Guess what? She did it perfectly. Then this morning on with fresh birds, it was back to pulling feathers off. DOH! We did have a cool time though and since sticking with my Franchi Affinity and above cartridges, I've not become an expert, but my mojo is back. 

28 minutes ago, getthegat said:

Soph is around 18 months now and not that it matters, but as a rescue dog, she's doing great. 

Yesterday lunchtime, we did some retrieving practice with our bird dummy and as always she did brilliant. Then I pulled a real pigeon out of the freezer and did the same practice. Guess what? She did it perfectly. Then this morning on with fresh birds, it was back to pulling feathers off. DOH! We did have a cool time though and since sticking with my Franchi Affinity and above cartridges, I've not become an expert, but my mojo is back. 

She will get there in the end , part of the problem could be down to excitement of doing the real thing , do she run in or go on demand ? , I only let mine pick up the ones well outside the decoy pattern and the ones that drop well out that are walking wounded , but mine is 3 1/2 year old and do get quite a bit practice .

If you get a chance to shoot one or two feral pigeons then shoot them and let your dog retrieve em'  as the feathers are a lot tighter than woodies , just keep at it and she will come on in leaps and bounds .

Maybe I rushed her. But she was/is so good on dummy retrieving. She only goes on command, retrieves to the hand, let's go on the "dead" command, marks them and spots them coming over before the shot. Like other tasks and obedience lessons, she'll get there and surprise me once again I'm sure. I love her and love her out in the fields with me. Cheers for the great advice.