Tour de France

Dunkield

I didn't travel the five or so miles to see it pass near us, in my book it was a non event.

I was very surprised the amount of road that was closed and the length of time it was closed.

The only effect it had was causing our favourite pub/restaurant to close for lunch servings, as the road outside was shut.

The Landlord was spitting feathers, as nobody had mentioned the magic word, "compensation".

A sort of mini version of the Olympics really.

Its cost us money, for no return and interested the minority of the population.

The whole entourage passed the end of my drive for about 2 hours as we all sat out on the verge and had a BBQ it was a real spectacle with countless French trade floats hooting and whistling, complete with the usual promotion girls ohh la la,ing all over everyone.It was worth seeing and the actual race flashed by in about 15 seconds.......... then that was it!

:good: D2D

Has kent drifted over to france without telling anyone?

Personally I'd've stood at the end of the road donning my grandads war spoils and see how many of them jumped off their bikes and surrendered! lol

:good: I liked this. We need more, "they don't like it up 'em!" spirt.

To really appreciate the TDF you have to know what it is all about. I am a keen cyclist but not an avid follower of the TDF. I scratched the surface the last time they were over.

The TDF is like a 3 week game of chess, the tactics involved are mind boggling. I cannot begin to explain everything, much of it I don't get myself!

Another interesting thing about the TDF are the traditions. If the race passes through the home town of one of the competitors then regardless of his position everyone drops back and allows him to lead the race through their town. Upon passing through the otherside everyone falls back into the positions they were in before and the race continues.

It was traditional to allow a rider to resume his position in the race after stopping for a wee, this was broken after a Belgian did not respect the unwritten rule.

The stamina of the competitors is unbelievable, they basically run a marathon every day for 3 weeks (o.k. there a couple of rest days but you get my drift) how many other atheletes can do that?

In the TDF there are so many characters as well, the Italian who smoke a fag whilst racing is one that always made me laugh!

Compared with F1 the TDF is so much more interesting IMHO.

At last, someone who knows what they are on about :lol:

It is the most gruelling and most watched sporting event in the world, as Snakey says you have to understand it to appreciate it.

The basis of it is, only about 5 or 6 people stand a chance of winning, the rest of the team members work for their team leader.

I have to say it seemed to lack something being here though, a bit like the time it went through Basingstoke :lol:

Still they reckon 2 million turned out to watch it, I wouldn't sit in traffic just to it flash past, but I do watch the 1/2 hour on the telly if it doesn't clash with neighbours :good:

The most grueling event in the world? how about The Marathon des sables? A 6 day 156 mile ultramarathon across the south moroccan desert? You have to carry all your gear with you!

Or what about the Yukon Arctic Ultra, a 320 mile challenge crossing Alaska in the dead of winter on foot!

Or how about one of the longest multiday running events ever hosted, The Trans-Europe footrace was organised by Ingo Schultze in 2003 and ran from Lisbon to Moscow in 64 stages and covered approximately 5100 km. Out of 49 starters, there were 21 finishers with Mariko Sakamoto the only woman to finish. The event was won by Robert Wimmer from Germany. A new Trans-Europe is being planned for 2009 starting in Italy and finishing in Northern Scandinavia. Again this will be a 64 day stage race however the total distance will be around 4-4500 km

Personally I think running across Alaska in mid winter makes the tour de france look like a jolly down to town and back!

But then it's only my opinion, others may think otherwise.

Personally I think running across Alaska in mid winter makes the tour de france look like a jolly down to town and back!

Hardly a jolly!

However the events you have mentioned are certainly gruelling, although to be honest I hae not heard of them before.

I think any athelete who can do any of the above mentioned events is incedible and argueing about what is the most gruelling is taking away from the other events.

How many of us could ever dream of doing half of what they do?

It might be a tough thing to do, but its voluntary so basically the harder it is the more fool you for doing it.

If they had snipers randomly taking out tyres and shooting water bottles out of peoples hands, now that's something I'd watch :blink:

Hardly a jolly!

However the events you have mentioned are certainly gruelling, although to be honest I hae not heard of them before.

I think any athelete who can do any of the above mentioned events is incedible and argueing about what is the most gruelling is taking away from the other events.

How many of us could ever dream of doing half of what they do?

Yes, I guess I should have said most gruelling event people have heard of.

I wouldn't want to do any of them, but I have done the London to Brighton bike ride a few times, and I have driven up one of the mountain stages the TdF goes up and that was bad enough in a car.

I'm with Stuart and Snakebite, I've watched the Tour for years and am astounded at the personal sacrifices the domestiques make for the one or two riders in each team who have a chance of making it to the Champs Elysees :blink:

I couldn't watch it this time becuase of 5 smelly 13 yr olds who had a sleep over after the paintballing :blink:

I'm also going to put my head over the parapet here and say I like the French :good: We've been on holiday over there for the past 6 years and are going again in a few weeks time. Most of the ones I've met couldn't be nicer and more helpful.

I've done a couple of motorbike tours over there as well and have ended up in some tiny little hamlets and have had a right laugh with the locals in my stilted French and there non existant English ;)

Vive La France!

P.

I'm also going to put my head over the parapet here and say I like the French :blink: We've been on holiday over there for the past 6 years and are going again in a few weeks time. Most of the ones I've met couldn't be nicer and more helpful.

I like tham as well, we are of over there in a couple of weeks time, I have only ever met nice ones, even in Paris.

If we actually hated all the people in the world we are supposed to hate, we would never leave England :blink: