GP medical

Dan gunner

I’m having an absolute nightmare renewing my sgc. My doctor has even had my licence revoked because he said I was aggressive over the phone to him because I wouldn’t pay £110 for a medical from him. Any ideas guys on what steps to take would be great, cheers Dan

Edited by Dan gunner

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s been nearly a month ago, my doctor tried to charge £110 for a medical and when I told him where to stick it he reported me to my local police resulting me to have my licence revoked and the renewing licence put on hold until the chief makes a decision on it because the doc told them I was aggressive over the phone. I havnt heard so much nonsense in my life 🤦‍♂️.

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

....and here we go again. Do a search, there must be oodles of posts and threads regarding this now. Good luck. 

I’ve been searching all over the internet to see what I can do about it but just can’t seem to find any answers, it’s getting to the point where even my local firearms don’t seem to want to know about the problem, all they’re are concerned about is where have my shotguns gone too.

11 minutes ago, Dan gunner said:

I’ve been searching all over the internet to see what I can do about it but just can’t seem to find any answers

From this comment, I assume you are not a member of a `shooting organization` (BASC, NGO, CPSA, etc) because there has been considerable dialogue going on between Home Office, BMA et al over this subject.  Telling your GP "where to stick it" was perhaps not the wisest thing to do !

Lots of info on this subject if you search through the various threads on this forum. There appears to be no pricing agreement between BMA and GPs, who are left to charge as they see fit to supply the information that the Police require.

Edited by JJsDad
Additional info

I agree with what your saying but i haven’t committed a crime as in such by saying that to the doctor, he was rude and acted unprofessional on the phone to me aswell and he’s abused his power by informing the police that I’m a threat and to revoke my licence, even the firearms department said to me not to pay the fee and that they’ve had reports of the same surgery conning people out of here hard earned cash and I’ve been told by an independent doctor to report him for his actions to the gmc wich is the board of doctors.

Just now, Dan gunner said:

I agree with what your saying but i haven’t committed a crime as in such by saying that to the doctor, he was rude and acted unprofessional on the phone to me aswell and he’s abused his power by informing the police that I’m a threat and to revoke my licence, even the firearms department said to me not to pay the fee and that they’ve had reports of the same surgery conning people out of here hard earned cash and I’ve been told by an independent doctor to report him for his actions to the gmc wich is the board of doctors.

So do it!

57 minutes ago, Dan gunner said:

I’ve been searching all over the internet to see what I can do about it but just can’t seem to find any answers, it’s getting to the point where even my local firearms don’t seem to want to know about the problem, all they’re are concerned about is where have my shotguns gone too.

I meant on this forum. I'd advise you to contact your shooting representative but they don't seem to be doing much about this issue. 

There are two sides to every story. Why phone the Doctor if you were expecting a problem? If you were expecting no problem, you are naïve. You should have put it in writing, then there would be no dispute about who said what. You say the Doctor was rude and unprofessional. However, if he is telling the truth, what has he done wrong? I also find it hard to accept that the Firearms Department would say what you have alleged.

Reading your sweeping, unsubstantiated statements, I am with the Doctor on this one.

2 minutes ago, Dan gunner said:

You just said it yourself, there’s 2 sides to every story. All I was looking for on here was a solution as in what I could do next and not a debate!!

But we are a debating Forum and you are a new member who has rushed in, admitted you haven't searched through our many threads on this subject and just demand an answer.

Demonstrating aggressive verbal behavior to anyone, let alone a NHS employee is, quite rightly, taken seriously by firearms licensing.

If you are not a member of one of the shooting organizations then advice from a solicitor who specializes in firearms law would seem to be your only recourse.

7 minutes ago, Dan gunner said:

You just said it yourself, there’s 2 sides to every story. All I was looking for on here was a solution as in what I could do next and not a debate!!

I posted a link to a letter by the CA regarding this issue just last week. If you trawl through the various threads on this subject you should find it. It’s contents may or may not help. 

My advice would be to go and apologise to the Doctor, for starters. Reporting him to the GMC will probably make him dig his heels in.

Just now, Gordon R said:

My advice would be to go and apologise to the Doctor, for starters. Reporting him to the GMC will probably make him dig his heels in.

+1 

You do realise you dont actually have to commit a crime to have your tickets revoked ?

Being aggressive in the mildest form, and coming to the attention of licencing is not a place you want to be.
Drinking too much, or any behaviour considered intemperate (smoking weed ect) will get you to the naughty place, and getting your tickets back after a revoke , is hard work.
Be smart, work with the doctor, pay the bill, and try to get him to withdraw his complaint.
Then you might get to continue shooting.

9 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

+1 

You do realise you dont actually have to commit a crime to have your tickets revoked ?

Being aggressive in the mildest form, and coming to the attention of licencing is not a place you want to be.
Drinking too much, or any behaviour considered intemperate (smoking weed ect) will get you to the naughty place, and getting your tickets back after a revoke , is hard work.
Be smart, work with the doctor, pay the bill, and try to get him to withdraw his complaint.
Then you might get to continue shooting.

And I’m fully aware of what your saying, but all I did was tell him I ain’t paying the fee as I’ve been advised by other professionals and now I’ve had my licence revoked because he’s gone and said I’ve been aggressive over the phone. There’s no way on earth I’m going to back down when I know I havnt done anything wrong, and like I said I’m previous posts hand on heart the firearms department said do not pay that fee and take it further, but because it’s cone from a doctor that I was aggressive on the phone to him it makes me look like a criminal and I will not back down form it, too much of that this country does!

1 hour ago, Dan gunner said:

reports of the same surgery conning people out of here hard earned cash

I fear you wont get far with the GMC or your GP using this sort of remark. A GP is entitled to charge for administrative work as a result of the enquiries and written evidence that the Police are saying they require, in order for them to be assured you are not suffering from various conditions that may have an effect your suitability to own a firearm.  When all this started, advice from certain quarters was that as the Police wanted this data, they should pay. When it became evident this would put a large dent in Police budgets the bill was dumped on the individual to pay. This to the best of my knowledge is still being argued over with some forces saying it is a mandatory requirement whereas others, where they do not receive the information requested from the GP within a period of 21 days or so, process the license with the belief that no response from the GP signifies no problem. There appears to be no agreed ammount that GPs can charge and I have seen figures ranging between £40 and £120. There is no simple answer to your problem, however trying to give your GP a hard time by reporting him to the GMC for conning you out of money, is not in my humble view the best tactic to employ. There is an old saying about people who find themselves in a hole !!!!!