"mainly" nige's puffer

ditchman

29 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

That has come up so nice, might have to look out for a S for the collection now! 

mine is a 177....niges is a 22............i did shoot mine last year and it was very very accurate and running at 10.2ft/lbs.....but because im so anal about mechanics and stuff i decieded to take it apart and try and make it run sweeter..........im waiting for another ox spring to turn up like the one ive just done then i will finish mine off..........

i fettled mine originally buy amongst other things to have the piston working with pure graphite.....which it is....but with the graphite you have to sand the o ring down so it isnt such a tight fit...and that took a bit of doing.............whereas...niges 22 i dabbed a small ammont of molyslip onto the piston head and that worked very well......time will tell how long the molyslip will continue to do its job...thats the great thing about a chrono' ...you can keep an eye on it............

i still think dry graphite is the way to go but it involves alot more messing around to get it right..............what i will do when my mates lathe is up and running is to convert the piston head to take a leather plunger washer which i will rub graphite powder into and see how that works....the trick is trying to get rid of as much drag as possible...thus enabling you to get as much speed as possible with the softest spring................

god ....when will i ever stop messing about with stuff i dont know about..:lol:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditchy decades ago when I used to tune springers.  I polished the internal surface of the compression tube and outer of the spring till they shone like a mirror then cross hatched the surface with  some very coarse grit Emery cloth wrapped around a dowel, being very careful to not put scratches along the tube bit only around the tube. One good twist would leave the required lines scratched in to carry the moly lube. This stopped it wiping clean being so polished. Lasted many thousands of shots before needing respringing.

Edited by figgy

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ditchy decades ago when I used to tune springers.  I polished the internal compression tube till they shone like a mirror then cross hatched the surface with  some very coarse grit Emery cloth wrapped around a dowel, being very careful to not put scratches along the tube bit only around the tube. One good twist would leave the required lines scratched in to carry the moly lube. This stopped it wiping clean being so polished. Lasted many thousands of shots before needing respringing.

whilst doing that i did have a "what if" moment....i was visulising the cross hatching on the bores of an enjine...which are there to stop the rings floating and also retain oil............i will give it some serious thought now ...listening to your...valid comment :good:

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ditchy that's exactly how it works, I used to load up the spring with moly and this kept the tube hatchings fully lubed everytime it was cycled.

what i am thinking of is reverting to a dry leather piston washer that has had graphite powder rubbed into it.....or developing a carbon fibre self sealing washer...something what Washerboy has already contacted me about........:hmm:

I am sold on the parachute seal in whatever material you like. I have recently tried delrin, o ring and then settled on a parachute seal conversion for power and feel of the shot cycle. 

I have been playing with a old webley excel and it was doing about 490fps on its original Ptfe seal so made a new one which went up to 512fps and then just got a parachute seal from Australia and it's doing 560fps so once it's been polished and a couple of other little tweaks it will be really sweet. 

The merc is currently running a seal from a hydraulic cylinder on a custom head and it's not crazy on power but it shoots so nice I might just leave it with the cut down spring in it! Ths is after playing with the airsporter and trying every type of head and increasing the volume and getting nowhere. 

• 3 weeks later...

well ere' we are again............took the Merc S down to my mate the butcher and as i made him a knife ..he is doing some leather work for us...and has made a very nice sling for  Whitebridges Merc S .22.......

i think it sets it off now....................

ditch

merc fin strap 001tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 002tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 003tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 004tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 005tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 006tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 007tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 008tn_.JPG

merc fin strap 009tn_.JPG

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Simon that's lovely!:good:

thank you .im really quite pleased with it......it looks really set off......andy at carters the butchers is one of us.......nice guy about the same age as us ...and uses the leather work as a way of getting away from running the butchery..................

im really quite chuffed with it all.........

have started cutting out old farriers knife blank D2 steel this morning so i will put some pics up later,.........