Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ditchman

"mainly" nige's puffer

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

That has come up so nice, might have to look out for a S for the collection now! 

mine is a 177....niges is a 22............i did shoot mine last year and it was very very accurate and running at 10.2ft/lbs.....but because im so anal about mechanics and stuff i decieded to take it apart and try and make it run sweeter..........im waiting for another ox spring to turn up like the one ive just done then i will finish mine off..........

i fettled mine originally buy amongst other things to have the piston working with pure graphite.....which it is....but with the graphite you have to sand the o ring down so it isnt such a tight fit...and that took a bit of doing.............whereas...niges 22 i dabbed a small ammont of molyslip onto the piston head and that worked very well......time will tell how long the molyslip will continue to do its job...thats the great thing about a chrono' ...you can keep an eye on it............

i still think dry graphite is the way to go but it involves alot more messing around to get it right..............what i will do when my mates lathe is up and running is to convert the piston head to take a leather plunger washer which i will rub graphite powder into and see how that works....the trick is trying to get rid of as much drag as possible...thus enabling you to get as much speed as possible with the softest spring................

god ....when will i ever stop messing about with stuff i dont know about..:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ditchy decades ago when I used to tune springers.  I polished the internal surface of the compression tube and outer of the spring till they shone like a mirror then cross hatched the surface with  some very coarse grit Emery cloth wrapped around a dowel, being very careful to not put scratches along the tube bit only around the tube. One good twist would leave the required lines scratched in to carry the moly lube. This stopped it wiping clean being so polished. Lasted many thousands of shots before needing respringing.

 

Edited by figgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ditchy decades ago when I used to tune springers.  I polished the internal compression tube till they shone like a mirror then cross hatched the surface with  some very coarse grit Emery cloth wrapped around a dowel, being very careful to not put scratches along the tube bit only around the tube. One good twist would leave the required lines scratched in to carry the moly lube. This stopped it wiping clean being so polished. Lasted many thousands of shots before needing respringing.

 

whilst doing that i did have a "what if" moment....i was visulising the cross hatching on the bores of an enjine...which are there to stop the rings floating and also retain oil............i will give it some serious thought now ...listening to your...valid comment :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditchy that's exactly how it works, I used to load up the spring with moly and this kept the tube hatchings fully lubed everytime it was cycled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ditchy that's exactly how it works, I used to load up the spring with moly and this kept the tube hatchings fully lubed everytime it was cycled.

 

what i am thinking of is reverting to a dry leather piston washer that has had graphite powder rubbed into it.....or developing a carbon fibre self sealing washer...something what Washerboy has already contacted me about........:hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One was some kind of self sealing PTFE or nylon, may have been delrin.

Carbon fiber sounds interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sold on the parachute seal in whatever material you like. I have recently tried delrin, o ring and then settled on a parachute seal conversion for power and feel of the shot cycle. 

I have been playing with a old webley excel and it was doing about 490fps on its original Ptfe seal so made a new one which went up to 512fps and then just got a parachute seal from Australia and it's doing 560fps so once it's been polished and a couple of other little tweaks it will be really sweet. 

The merc is currently running a seal from a hydraulic cylinder on a custom head and it's not crazy on power but it shoots so nice I might just leave it with the cut down spring in it! Ths is after playing with the airsporter and trying every type of head and increasing the volume and getting nowhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...