Any idea what this 'tree' is?

steve_b_wales

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tree is youngster then the leaves do tend to be a little different. It certainly looks like a young oak to me but without actually having a leaf in my hand I would hesitate to say which one.

My book lists 30 different species.

Out of interest I picked up a copy of The Complete Guide to Trees of Britain and Northern Europe  by  Alan Mitchell,  illustrated by David More, if you can find one buy it.  I got mine at our local charity shop for £3.  Excellent reference book.

Edited by Walker570

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If the tree is youngster then the leaves do tend to be a little different. It certainly looks like a young oak to me but without actually having a leaf in my hand I would hesitate to say which one.

My book lists 30 different species.

I will take a close up photo of a leaf.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Photograph half a dozen side by side if you can as they do vary. My book has individual illustrations of the leaves in colour, so with a bit of luck I might be able to pin it down.

A guess would be Sessile.

I've just taken this one, but if no good, I'll take a few more.

LEAF 1111.jpg

That is adequate.   The only leaf shape I have listed which shows those pointy tips is a leaf from a Lucombe oak (Quercus x hispanica  'Lucombeana)  the tree arose in an Exeter nursery of Lucombe and Pince in 1763 when acorns from the first Turkey Oak where sown.  Two of he plants made remarkable growth in the first season and remained evergreen.  It was reasoned that some flowers had been pollinated by a Cork oak nearbye.  He made many grafts onto common oak rootstock and sold them throughout the country.   I'm not suggesting this is what you have BUT pointing out that the many varieties of oaks in the country some will have crossbred for sure and this may be what you have.  Check out the leaves later and see if they still have those pointy tips.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That is adequate.   The only leaf shape I have listed which shows those pointy tips is a leaf from a Lucombe oak (Quercus x hispanica  'Lucombeana)  the tree arose in an Exeter nursery of Lucombe and Pince in 1763 when acorns from the first Turkey Oak where sown.  Two of he plants made remarkable growth in the first season and remained evergreen.  It was reasoned that some flowers had been pollinated by a Cork oak nearbye.  He made many grafts onto common oak rootstock and sold them throughout the country.   I'm not suggesting this is what you have BUT pointing out that the many varieties of oaks in the country some will have crossbred for sure and this may be what you have.  Check out the leaves later and see if they still have those pointy tips.

Thanks for the info'. I guessed it was some kind of Oak, as apart from planting Chestnuts, I only planted one kind of Oak, as mentioned. Where this one came from, beats me. I'll be looking for a suitable place to plant it later this year.  :good:

8 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Im just thinking Quercus robur  steve,  maybe lobes havnt developed properly  yet

depositphotos_208063594-stock-photo-common-oak-quercus-robur.jpg.a0bd75401bb5f8e85a0eb0e45b3ec49e.jpg

Thanks Steve. I've already got some of these growing now. I didn't realise how many different species of Oak existed.

Did the one's I sent you, survive?

It will be interesting to follow this up and check the leaf pattern latter in the year on older growth.  According to my reference the Lucombe tree is the only one to have similar to what we know as oak leaves but has the pointy tips present on Cork oak.  Cork oak is a totally different leaf shape but has the pointy spines sticky out.  Shop around and see if you can trace a copy of that book, you will not be disappointed.  Mine is well thumbed.

30 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It will be interesting to follow this up and check the leaf pattern latter in the year on older growth.  According to my reference the Lucombe tree is the only one to have similar to what we know as oak leaves but has the pointy tips present on Cork oak.  Cork oak is a totally different leaf shape but has the pointy spines sticky out.  Shop around and see if you can trace a copy of that book, you will not be disappointed.  Mine is well thumbed.

I plan to plant this tree out on one of my permissions, once I can find a suitable place that can be protected from Sheep etc. I'll check it out later in the year to see if the leaf pattern has changed etc.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks for the info'. I guessed it was some kind of Oak, as apart from planting Chestnuts, I only planted one kind of Oak, as mentioned. Where this one came from, beats me. I'll be looking for a suitable place to plant it later this year.  :good:

Thanks Steve. I've already got some of these growing now. I didn't realise how many different species of Oak existed.

Did the one's I sent you, survive?

I will have a look when the leaves are out fully, I reckon we are at least a month behind you up here, willow leaves arnt fully formed yet, hazel havnt even come out, We had a fair sprinkling of snow down to sea level yesterday, with temps down to 3 c..🤨

Ain't much warmer down here either and the poplars haven't even started to break open yet.  The hazels have leafed up pretty well as have the hawthorn.  Orchard in full flower and pleased to say the bees are out working this morning in a brisk cold north easter.   I have some young horse chestnuts growing wild from nuts dropped by crows I believe. I only have one tree anywhere near and that is a red flowered variety so it will be interesting to see if they also produce red flowers.   steve - b it is good to see someone taking the time and effort to grow trees from the fruit and sharing with others, well done.

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Ain't much warmer down here either and the poplars haven't even started to break open yet.  The hazels have leafed up pretty well as have the hawthorn.  Orchard in full flower and pleased to say the bees are out working this morning in a brisk cold north easter.   I have some young horse chestnuts growing wild from nuts dropped by crows I believe. I only have one tree anywhere near and that is a red flowered variety so it will be interesting to see if they also produce red flowers.   steve - b it is good to see someone taking the time and effort to grow trees from the fruit and sharing with others, well done.

If you require some Oaks, let me know and I'll send them. They have only just started to emerge from the soil and grow some leaves. They should be re-potted and left to gain more root growth, for the best chance.

Many thanks, but I have a super little 10 acre wood here which I planted 20yrs ago initially with poplars but the ash, oak, chestnut, field maple and also walnut have naturally seeded down along with hawthorn, elderberry, and hazels, although I have underplanted with 400 hazels as well.  Ask Mel on here he got hooked and went and purchased his own small wood, nothing beats walking and sitting in a wood, disturbed only by the interventions of the native animals and birds.  Can't do that in public forests as sooner or later Joe Blogs and is wife plus dogs and kids will come disturbing the peace.

Edited by Walker570

I was planning to plant some trees in a corner of a field that we don't really use as its about a mile from my house. I have now decided to go the whole hog and plant all 2.5 acres with native species (some from steve b) and also dig a pond. Planting this will be a more intresting legacy to leave my children than a grass field. Also a place to spend a few hours relaxing, there is already a small barn in the field, a bit of work and we have a useful place for storage.

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

I was planning to plant some trees in a corner of a field that we don't really use as its about a mile from my house. I have now decided to go the whole hog and plant all 2.5 acres with native species (some from steve b) and also dig a pond. Planting this will be a more intresting legacy to leave my children than a grass field. Also a place to spend a few hours relaxing, there is already a small barn in the field, a bit of work and we have a useful place for storage.

That sounds great.  You could do worse than take a bit of advice from nev,he's planted his own woodland and he's made a cracking job of it.

17 hours ago, islandgun said:

I will have a look when the leaves are out fully, I reckon we are at least a month behind you up here, willow leaves arnt fully formed yet, hazel havnt even come out, We had a fair sprinkling of snow down to sea level yesterday, with temps down to 3 c..🤨

I'd like to know if any that I sent you came through, as well.

1 hour ago, dodgyrog said:

I'd like to know if any that I sent you came through, as well.

Sorry dodgyrog i'm not sure you have the right person, Ive just looked back through 5 yrs of mail and not found any pms .. I do have trouble remembering most things though..:cry1:

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Many thanks, but I have a super little 10 acre wood here which I planted 20yrs ago initially with poplars but the ash, oak, chestnut, field maple and also walnut have naturally seeded down along with hawthorn, elderberry, and hazels, although I have underplanted with 400 hazels as well.  Ask Mel on here he got hooked and went and purchased his own small wood, nothing beats walking and sitting in a wood, disturbed only by the interventions of the native animals and birds.  Can't do that in public forests as sooner or later Joe Blogs and is wife plus dogs and kids will come disturbing the peace.

Mel had quite a few Oak saplings from me last year. :good: