Lucky Escape

Rimfire

Hi Guys,

I got home from work early the other day and decided to bag a couple of rabbits with my 12G SBS. As I was walking down the lane, two rabbits ran out, I mounted and fired at the first and then swung onto the second and fired. It was at that point I was hit hard in the face, just below the right eye, by an object that flew back from the second shot. It didn't puncture the skin but was sufficiently hard to knock me off balance. I now have a nice black eye. Whatever hit me was either a clump of earth or a stone.

My concern is that the incident could have resulted in a much more severe injury to the eye, as a result of this I am now considering wearing clear safety glasses in the field. I always wear them when shooting clays but I must admit this is more for their sunshade qualities than their protection qualities.

Does anyone else have any experience of this happening?

Regards

Rimfire

My shooting partner spent two days in hospital over christmas with 3 pellets embedded 2 inches in his leg from a richochet after shooting a rabbit. One pellet was too close to an artery to operate so they pumped him full of antibiotics to protect against blood poisoning and hoped for the best. He's non the worse for it now except for a leaky welly but it could have been lot worse if it had hit him in the face.

SH.

How far away from the rabbits were you when you fired ?

I have never heard of anyone suffering injury from their own shot, when firing a shotgun.

Its my experience that lead shot flattens, when it hits a hard surface.

To experience a ricochet that comes straight back at you, must be in the million to one odds category. thats real bad luck :D

Cranners,

It wasn't the shot that came back it was either a stone or something similar, it was large enough for me to see it but not until it was too late to duck out of the way.

Teal,

Only got the one, sorry.

Regards

Rimfire

I think its a bit extreme to wear the safety glasses in the field although it was lucky not to damage your eye, this was obviously a freak accident and you know what they say lightning never strikes in the same place twice.

I think its a bit extreme to wear the safety glasses in the field although it was lucky not to damage your eye, this was obviously a freak accident and you know what they say lightning never strikes in the same place twice.

your right ollie,

next time it could have his eye out! ???

something to think about me thinks, not such a problem in the hide though with a fixed view and kill zone.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember an incident similar to that which i experienced. I was at my friends farm shooting pigeons in his woods, and the pellet i fried bounced back off a tree and hit him in his chest, but did nothing, if not less! probably because he was wearing a think coat.