Batteries

Walker570

Just checked the small print on my trail cams and it advises not to use rechargeable AA batteries.  In fact not advice...  Please do not use rechargeable batteries in the is camera.

I just wondered why.  I have four in constant use and buying packs of batteries is expensive ..the cameras take eight ... rechargeables are not cheap but work out better than throw aways.

There is a 6V input plug for an exterior supply and it advises you can use 4 or 8 batteries   I notice rechargeables are rated 1.2v whereas the standard AAs are rated 1.5 v.

I know the same happens with some NV devices (some Drone pro's) that use cr123 batteries the voltage of the rechargables is higher than the that for which the device is rated and there is no limiter in the device. It sounds like these are the other way around. 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I notice rechargeables are rated 1.2v whereas the standard AAs are rated 1.5 v.

As has been said - This.

What often happens is that many nominally 6 volt devices need about  5.0 Volts as an absolute minimum.

4 x standard alkaline batteries will give about 4 x 1.7 = 6.8 Volts when brand new - declining over their life to about 4 x 1.3 = 5.2 Volts - so the unit uses all of the power in the batteries and they last a good time.

4 x NiMH rechargeable batteries will give about 4 x 1.3 = 5.2 Volts when new and just out of the charger - declining over their life to about 4 x 1.1 = 4.4 Volts - so the unit will fail due to flat batteries very quickly.  This leads to lots of complaints to the vendor that it 'eats batteries', so they usually specify alkaline non re-chargeable batteries.  In addition, some rechargeables don't retain charge all that long (high self discharge).  Some cheaper types can loose a significant part of their charge in a month even when not used.

Rechargeables are very good at high current draw and work very well in high powered torches, motor applications etc.  They are much less good in low current applications such as 'remotes' for TVs, intruder alarm and wireless sensors, CCTV, standby applications etc, where they draw a low current for a long period.

You can also use external power source. I bout a 48 pack from Currys at a cheap price, cant remember now. But with 8 cameras out i was not paying top wack Duracell money. 

They only need to last a couple of months, that gives me all the info i need.