Jacko3275

5 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Only really bought it for our lass to build some confidence in shooting as the 12b kind of scares her also I can use it at work for rats and ferrals and was thinking if I put an hushpower on it I can use on fields where there is cattle etc near by.. so I doubt I’ll put more than two slabs a year through it

Get her some 21g cartridges to put through the 12b. My mrs has worked her way up to 28g now.

18 hours ago, McSpredder said:

I suspect the same was true when I last used a .410 about sixty years ago, but in those days Eley .410 cartridges cost less than 12g.

Parker Hale 1958 catalogue prices   (converted to decimal currency, for the benefit of youthful PW members):

12g Grand Prix (1-1/16oz)   £2.85 / 100

.410 Fourlong  (7/16oz)      £2.32 / 100

.410 Fourten  (5/16oz)        £2.19 / 100

Back then I used to use the full brass cased 410s and purchased them with my pocket money.

21 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Think if i reloaded .id  try and make a 20 grm of 2.4mm lead  cart with a fibre wad .if possible  

As the nsi carts i currently use are 19.5 grm of 2.7 lead with a plaswad .

I devloped a load from that listed by Folkeston Enginnering and now my load is 19.7g of SP3 12mm  FE wad over an overpowder card and then a fill to a point where I can get a really nice crimp and this weighs out at 18.7g of #7s.   No complaints from the customers, they seem to fall out of the sky in admiration. I just need to do my job.  I shoot these through full choke both barrels which give excellent patterns at a measured 35yrds and penetrate the target card then a sheet of corrogated card and finally bury themselves the depth of the shot in the marine backing ply.  

27 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Get her some 21g cartridges to put through the 12b. My mrs has worked her way up to 28g now.

I did first time I took her and said she was sore the day after so little gun a lot lighher and a lot less kick ... she can’t  hit jack at the min anyway  so  thought it’s will help her get used to a shotgun 

8 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I did first time I took her and said she was sore the day after so little gun a lot lighher and a lot less kick ... she can’t  hit jack at the min anyway  so  thought it’s will help her get used to a shotgun 

My mrs found she can get a little sore sometimes. We are looking at getting a flatter pad fitted to her gun so there is more contact with her shoulder.

14 hours ago, team tractor said:

I never get why they are considerably more expensive . 

Its not like they only make a box a time. 

My kiddies love the .410 and i quiet enjoy it myself  

It's all down to quantity, the machines that make the carts are probably more expensive to run etc, the build cost may be more, who knows, as long as us the shooters buy and pay for them they will sell them at that price 

.410 may be fun to shoot but a 28 bore is easier to hit things with. No more recoil with sensible weight carts 21g are sweet shooting. Cost is still silly for carts though.

Silenced .410 make lots of sense when you here one shoot. 

I've used a falco .410 on a clay shoot,  I never hit a lot with it. Others were good though.

Edited by figgy

12 hours ago, figgy said:

.410 may be fun to shoot but a 28 bore is easier to hit things with. No more recoil with sensible weight carts 21g are sweet shooting. Cost is still silly for carts though.

Silenced .410 make lots of sense when you here one shoot. 

I've used a falco .410 on a clay shoot,  I never hit a lot with it. Others were good though.

I find only issue with 410 on clays is you just make holes in the clay so you actually hit more than you think sometimes. If you don't see dust of change in movement. 

51 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I find only issue with 410 on clays is you just make holes in the clay so you actually hit more than you think sometimes. If you don't see dust of change in movement. 

use the appropriate no9 for 2 inch, no8 for 2.5inch and no7. 5 for 3 inch and no problems with clay kills under 35 yards.