Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sam triple

New Dog

Recommended Posts

Now had the dog for 2 weeks and what a joy he is ,honestly don’t know why I’ve waited so long to get another , last night was his first dry night no puddles or parcels waiting for me to tread in this morning ! He’s now sitting and waiting for his food when I place it down rather than just diving in he’s waiting for me to give him the command to eat it ,hopefully rest of training will go as smoothly, 2 weeks until next jab but he’s eager to go out now , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Good to hear Sam 😎

 There's some very good intelligent dogs in his breeding so I'd like to think he has inherited at least some himself 

 Onward and upward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJL4 said:

 Good to hear Sam 😎

 There's some very good intelligent dogs in his breeding so I'd like to think he has inherited at least some himself 

 Onward and upward!

He definitely has Dave ,but every day is a school day for both of us ,so we’ll take it as it comes ,plenty of time ahead of us ,he made my mums day on Boxing Day haven’t seen her smile for that long  lately even if he did eat her flower display! 🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sat thru New Year’s Eve fireworks , rockets and bangs going off all around from neighbours etc dog not unduly worried by it all just sat with me wandering what was going on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sam triple said:

Just sat thru New Year’s Eve fireworks , rockets and bangs going off all around from neighbours etc dog not unduly worried by it all just sat with me wandering what was going on 

Happy new year Sam

Coincidentally I've just had a msg from the owner of Jake's brother Hixxy >

Happy new year from me and hixxy Here he is chewing my ear Not bothered about fireworks either Good boy

Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DJL4 said:

Happy new year Sam

Coincidentally I've just had a msg from the owner of Jake's brother Hixxy >

Happy new year from me and hixxy Here he is chewing my ear Not bothered about fireworks either Good boy

Image

All good to hear ,Happy New Year to you to Dave ,thanks again 

FB6C47BE-486C-4D01-AD45-F6F8FA5666E1.jpeg

Edited by sam triple
,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one week on from News Eve ,hes up to 10 kilos now ,scratching at the door to get out apart from  this morning when he had come in from the garden, peed on the carpet and laid one on the fire place , all of a sudden he was my dog again ! he sure is a good looking dog

IMG_0531 (002).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave the pup a sniff of next season’s quarry ,had him in the garage this morning whilst I plucked them looked like an explosion in a pillow factory after he had finished playing with them 

C656B1A0-0CC9-44EC-8013-C46890739C3E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took him out into to big wild world for his second jab yesterday eve, blowing a gale lashing with rain he wasn't  keen especially being on a lead ,but once out he was fine going into the vets they all made a fuss of him which he loved and he left no over excited puddles on their floor , good check up and a full bill of health hes doubled his weight in a month but another 2 weeks before he can go out properly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On only his second walk Jake met a horse and handled it brilliantly a little nervous but didn’t bark or try to bolt off 7B5A8882-CDE8-4A78-A3F2-CB8E6D6DB79B.jpeg.78e4e75046e8d174bdeee24124f717d2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the little fella a dummy with pheasant pelt on it from the NEC show to get him used to feathers in his mouth ,he went berserk over it ,then it dawned on me that we’ve got a de hydrator in the garage and I’d done a load of pheasants 2 weeks back 🙈, next time I get a pigeon it’s going in it 

E3DB515A-EC86-4F48-A359-D7BEC7870DEE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be very careful with this you don’t want him seeing feathers as a play thing or he will be chewing birds. I restrict fur and feather to retrieves and don’t usually introduce until late in the retrieving training. 
 

In any event good luck with a nice looking dog although you can see I don’t do black labs 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Be very careful with this you don’t want him seeing feathers as a play thing or he will be chewing birds. I restrict fur and feather to retrieves and don’t usually introduce until late in the retrieving training. 
 

In any event good luck with a nice looking dog although you can see I don’t do black labs 😁

Thanks , I understand what you mean I merely bought as a trial to see how he would react and I wasn’t disappointed it’s safely put away now for when he’s a bit older and proper training can take place ,strangely though he’ll go in to the chicken run and take no notice of them or they him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sam triple said:

Thanks , I understand what you mean I merely bought as a trial to see how he would react and I wasn’t disappointed it’s safely put away now for when he’s a bit older and proper training can take place ,strangely though he’ll go in to the chicken run and take no notice of them or they him 

That’s great if he ignores the chickens well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another walk along the foreshore he’s conquered his fear / dislike of puddles now quite happy to go in the sea or getting up to his nads in mud 

55B1A0FD-7FEF-4E64-8348-0BA00F5AB456.jpeg

C71DBC7B-70B6-47B0-A971-6F114C469860.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://youtu.be/aRVZOH8sHQc

took pup down to local clay shoot this morning to try and get him used to gun fire ,when the shooting started I had him retrieving his toy to get him comfortable with the noise ,and bringing him back using the whistle ,whilst moving ever closer to the noise did this for about 45 mins until he had  enough he then began to wondering where the noise was coming from so I took him down into the shoot walked about  with shooting going on he then decided to get closer to the action and sat behind a stand whilst people were shooting ,not being at all worried, I’m guessing he ain’t gun shy 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You were lucky introducing a pup to gun fire that way it could have gone so wrong for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, B725 said:

You were lucky introducing a pup to gun fire that way it could have gone so wrong for you.

How else?  It’s not going to come to him ,as stated we were at the fringe of it and moving closer to the noise for 45 min to get him comfortable with it , he’s not flinched at fireworks or a starter pistol , so I was quite sure he’d be fine 

5 hours ago, moondoggy said:

He is coming on a treat, well done.

Thanks 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Introducing gun fire should be a gradual process over several day's or even week's not 45 minutes from a distance then up and close with multiple shots. Even though you have used the starter pistol Some clay stands are extremly loud especially for a young dog,I would not like you have problems with you training the dog,everything has to be done slowly rushing any part of it will just make it harder to correct thing's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take your time Sam, how old is he now?

I have seen many people say a young dogs inner ear isn’t properly developed until 7-8 months of age. 
 

 

Some of the best advice I’ve ever had, anyone can learn from their mistakes, but a wise man learns from other people’s mistakes. 

I wish I had done hardly anything with mine when he was young, I would have just introduced him into a lot more environments and let him run in on retrieves more to build his drive etc or just let him run around on his own to build more confidence and independence. 
 

All this sitting and waiting stuff for a puppy must be terribly boring, and doing 45 minute sessions is an awfully long time. 
 

Some of the top trainers I know will bring the dog out, do 10-15 mins max and then put the dog away. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Take your time Sam, how old is he now?

I have seen many people say a young dogs inner ear isn’t properly developed until 7-8 months of age. 
 

 

Some of the best advice I’ve ever had, anyone can learn from their mistakes, but a wise man learns from other people’s mistakes. 

I wish I had done hardly anything with mine when he was young, I would have just introduced him into a lot more environments and let him run in on retrieves more to build his drive etc or just let him run around on his own to build more confidence and independence. 
 

All this sitting and waiting stuff for a puppy must be terribly boring, and doing 45 minute sessions is an awfully long time. 
 

Some of the top trainers I know will bring the dog out, do 10-15 mins max and then put the dog away. 
 

 

Hi Lloyd 

 he’s coming on for 5 months , I live next to a busy A road and since I’ve had him the noise of cars lorries ,loud bikes ,police sirens has never bothered him fireworks New Year’s Eve no problem even left the back door open to get maximum noise to him , the 45 min you refer to was letting him retrieve his toy and also letting him get used to the noise of guns ,when he gets bored we stop that’s when we walked down to the shoot stayed 10 mins for him to socialise with other people 

he’s never been to that area before it’s made up of woods fields and scrub ,usually cross the A rd via foot bridge so he’s as close as he can get to road noise and that doesn’t bother him , and go down to the foreshore and he’s straight in the sea with no hesitation 200 Brent geese taking off and nothing he just stood and watched then back thru the woods and fields home 

my idea of taking him down to the shoot was just to put mu mind at ease ,obviously the wrong thing to do , but a mate got a cocker from a keeper worked fine in the under growth till the first shoot went off and then it took off like a whippet and sat at his car cowering from fright ,I think he’s getting a good change of environments to keep him interested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all very contradictory mate, one person will tell you to do something whilst others will say the opposite. 
 

When my dog was running in, I was stood with several FT judges. Three of them were saying if the dog stops on the flush, give him the retrieve to reward the stop, another two were saying they were mad, and that they would only give the dog 1/10 retrieves even if he does stop, and pick 9/10 themselves. 
 

Even the successful lads at the top don’t agree with some of it. 
 

 

 

However, wait for your pup to mature both physically and mentally. One of the best things I saw was always put your young dog in situations that go right. You don’t want a young dog to get into bad habits and you especially don’t want to be telling off, nagging or ####ing a young dog. 
 

At some point you may need to tell your dog off, they need to be both physically and mentally mature enough to learn the lesson. 
 

Re your mates cocker, taking a dog out in the field with no past exposure of gunshot and firing a shot over it is very stupid, yet lots of people do just that. A bloke in our shooting club did it and then could never take his dog shooting again. 
 

As Arthur said you introduce gunshot gradually over a period ... BUT the dog needs to be physical developed, eg it’s inner ear channels developed... this isn’t because the dog can be gun shy, it’s because your dog can get hearing damage. 
 

Are you following any training plans, books or DVD’s? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...