Have pigeon numbers declined?

Everhopefull

;)

Have the pigeon numbers declined?

I've been out three days running, in three different locations and the amount of pigeon seen is disappointing. I've stopped at various fields, as I've driven about, and the most I've seen is 30-40 in a field.

Is it my area, South Wales, or some thing else. I read on here, about big numbers shot, but myself and a few other shooters believe the numbers in our area have declined. I've not seen any large flocks flying like you would, some years back, and certainly, no large numbers in the field.

I had 10 on Wednesday, 15 on Thursday and 24 yesterday, I know that every farmer in the area is cutting at the same time, so they have plenty of choice, but I still think that numbers are down in this area at least.

The most I've seen flying is 5-6 and mostly one's or two's!

The big bags would be nice every now and again

;)

Woodpigeon don`t flock at this time of the year unlike the winter time. Get out and about and you will see that there are laid cereals and unploughed stubbles all over and therefore lots of restaurants with a variety of foods so Mr & Mrs. Woodie can pick and choose what and where they want to eat, in the winter they don`t enjoy the same options.

;)

Have the pigeon numbers declined?

I've been out three days running, in three different locations and the amount of pigeon seen is disappointing. I've stopped at various fields, as I've driven about, and the most I've seen is 30-40 in a field.

Is it my area, South Wales, or some thing else. I read on here, about big numbers shot, but myself and a few other shooters believe the numbers in our area have declined. I've not seen any large flocks flying like you would, some years back, and certainly, no large numbers in the field.

I had 10 on Wednesday, 15 on Thursday and 24 yesterday, I know that every farmer in the area is cutting at the same time, so they have plenty of choice, but I still think that numbers are down in this area at least.

The most I've seen flying is 5-6 and mostly one's or two's!

The big bags would be nice every now and again

;)

no chance have seen thousands over the past few months ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Pigeon numbers have not declined you're just not looking in the right place! In the imortal words of the major...look for pigeons in the air NOT on the ground! And as the man said...1000's on the Isle of Wight, see they just gone on their hols :oops:

We've been seeing large flocks (hundreds strong) during harvest this year similar to the ones you see over rape in late winter.

Well we have been struggling here. Been all over our ground and can't find any quantity anywhere. :lol:

Checking back in my Game book from last year, i was shooting up to 100 birds per day on the stubbles. This is on the same ground we have been checking this year and all I have been managing this season has been 15 - 30's with the best day being 40.

This is ground we have been shooting on for many years so we know the flight patterns well. I can only hope things improve :oops:

:)

Although I'm sorry to read that some shooters are having problems with finding large flocks or even moderate flocks, I'm glad that I'm not the only shooter that has noticed pigeon numbers down.

I've just come back from crow shooting, but stopped and looked in every field that had some arable crops, i.e. corn stubble, standing corn and barley, laid fields, and hardley a pigeon in any of them, nor many flying, 2 to 4 only.

Now many years ago in my area of South Wales, the numbers were definately larger!

I know that grass is the majority of fields but even on arable, I have yet to see any flock of number.

I wish that it was different, especially when I read of forum members who wouldn't get out of bed if they shot less than 100!

There must be some shooters in South Wales who are having larger flocks in their area? I'm in the Newport area, if you are doing OK, let me know where in South Wales please, and I'll move there!

:good:

Although I'm sorry to read that some shooters are having problems with finding large flocks or even moderate flocks, I'm glad that I'm not the only shooter that has noticed pigeon numbers down.

I've just come back from crow shooting, but stopped and looked in every field that had some arable crops, i.e. corn stubble, standing corn and barley, laid fields, and hardley a pigeon in any of them, nor many flying, 2 to 4 only.

Now many years ago in my area of South Wales, the numbers were definately larger!

I know that grass is the majority of fields but even on arable, I have yet to see any flock of number.

I wish that it was different, especially when I read of forum members who wouldn't get out of bed if they shot less than 100!

There must be some shooters in South Wales who are having larger flocks in their area? I'm in the Newport area, if you are doing OK, let me know where in South Wales please, and I'll move there!

defo not here had a 290 bag yesterday never have i seen so many pigeon :)

I think the way to this is by looking at each area, ie :

Scotland

North east

North west

Midlands east

Midlands west

Anglia, Norfolk

North Wales

South Wales

South east

South west

South west

Lets see where all the Pigeons are? I will start off with my synopis of the South Hams in the S/west. There are not many Pigeons in this area I have not seen any flying around or on the ground and most Farmers are reporting the same. So far I have been out three times this week with only a hand full of birds. ANY MORE REPORTS FOR THE SOUTH WEST. :whistling:

Sundodger

Pigeon Numbers are at a record High and have been increasing in breeding territories every year for the last 10 to 15 years and are now one of, if not the most common resident species.

These birds are not stupid and have become very cosmpolitan in their habitat, now as much at home in parks, gardens and towns as in woodland.

The biggest failing we have as Pigeon Shooters is over expectancy and over shooting. I dont mean shooting too many pigeons because it would be very difficult to do, but moreover we go shooting far to often and expect big bags twice or sometimes three times a week on the same area of land with out realising that it aint never going to happen.

If some of you shot less often you would enjoy it more and there wouldnt be so much pressure on the birds, which would gradually creep back into your habitats.

The flocks of thousands seen regularly in condensed feed areas in winters past are gone and due to the milder climate change brought about by your gas guzzling 4x4,s :lol: are never going to come back.

So ultimately if you dont have any Pigeons to shoot its your own bloody fault. Give the land a rest for 6 months and I guarantee the birds will return.

Case in point.......... I went fishing in a Oxfordshire Wiltshire Border village Sunday and there were more pigeons about in the air than Ive seen for a long time. The local Farmer said it doesnt get shot these days and hasnt been for 10 years or so..........It does Now !!!! <_<

Anglia, Cambs. - Saw a fair few out last night on my permission when I was out, call it about 100. Managed to spook them all on the way out to the woods (not good) and then proceeded to miss the ten that I actually managed to get a shot off at over the next hour.

I'm in work now feeling ****** off with myself for being that **** and taking too long to see,shoulder and shoot.

The rabbit I got on the way back to the car was a sorry consolation (but welcome anyway)