Sign in to follow this  
washerboy

Open sights

I know a lot of modern spring guns and most if not all pcp are supplied without open sights, question is does anyone still use them for hunting. 

Not anymore. Used to be all I had but don't think I own a air rifle now with open sights. I am reverting back to a red dot as its fun. 

As a side note, I only ever got on with the open sights on bsas (mid to late 90's) and on a original 50. 

I've shot a Hw99s with open sights but only extremely close range, 10 yards or so at rats and the odd rabbit. I was useless with any type of air pistol unless I added a scope. 

I did think about retro fitting a set off a s200 on my falcon for a laugh but sense came to my head after looking at the price for just a 'laugh'. I've recently gone through a webley superhawk and a smk biathlon with diopter sights and was completely useless with them. 

With most guns now coming with silencers and massive protruding magazines the aesthetics wouldn't suit (admittedly mainly pcps). I can see them shortly being a thing of the past. Shame as I think every kid should learn open sights first. 

Usually people remove the open sights and replace them with a scope it personnel choice 

Ive tried opens on decent and accurate airguns .and the ability to group well beyond  15 yds escaped me  .put the scope back on and its back to 20 mm at 30 yds  .

The one advantage with opens is the very low sight line .so if you need to hit  small targets often sub 10 yds then you just aim bang on at virtually  any range .so if your dispatching squirrels in a cage or rats in a loft for example then they can be ideal .

I put a scope on my pistol recently only x2 but it makes the gun 5 x more accurate  to shoot consistently  .

Awful things, about as nostalgic and fun starting a car with a starting handle. I'm told late night in rain is the joy of joys 😋😂😂

Use to shoot flies on the garden wall (about 15 meters) as a kid with open sights! Can't see the fore sight now let alone a fly!

Still use the my 308 on open sight at work more that I use it with a scope. but again only a short range.

get yourself a diopter sight............................let it screw with you brain and eyesight....you will stand there open mouthed........