Self Assessment

simonm

Just wondered if anyone could help. 

I'm doing my wife's SATR and she has £6 gross interest on bank accounts - I though this should be untaxed as its within the Personal Savings Allowance but the calculation is coming up with a £1.80 tax liability for it! She is a basic rate tax payer. 

Any ideas greatly received!

Edited by simonm

I think when you put the amount into the self assessment it thinks you've already applied any allowances etc....so will tax you.

It also depends on how much she's earned....

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

I would remove the £6 as shes a basic rate tax payer so can earn £1000 on interest as part of the personal savings allowance

Edited by prem1234

Personal Savings Allowance is a 0% rate that applies to up to £1,000 of an individual's savings income (such as interest) a year - but this allowance is reduced to £500 a year where an individual has higher rate income, and nil where an individual has additional rate income. Any income from an ISA or subject to the 0% starting rate for savings does not count towards this Personal Savings Allowance

income tax and dividend rate bands 2019-2020

Income tax rate bands - England & Northern Ireland

band
rate
tax band
basic rate 20% £1 - £37,500
higher rate 40% £37,501 - £150,000
additional rate 45% £150,001
Edited by Davyo

Three weeks ago after numerous e mails, snail mails and finally a phone call I received notification that I no longer needed to fill in an on line self assessment form that was from Bristol. Two weeks ago I received a tax bill from Newcastle HMRC asking for £1381.80 pence.  This was from a total bill of £1474 : 00 and stating that I had already paid £92  :  20 which I had not done.   My total income is  from State Pension plus a very small private pension and is under £8000 .  In their statement nothing is filled in under personal allowance or total tax free amount. I sent it back after photocopying.

Blackpowder

1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

Three weeks ago after numerous e mails, snail mails and finally a phone call I received notification that I no longer needed to fill in an on line self assessment form that was from Bristol. Two weeks ago I received a tax bill from Newcastle HMRC asking for £1381.80 pence.  This was from a total bill of £1474 : 00 and stating that I had already paid £92  :  20 which I had not done.   My total income is  from State Pension plus a very small private pension and is under £8000 .  In their statement nothing is filled in under personal allowance or total tax free amount. I sent it back after photocopying.

Blackpowder

If you send an email to HMRC it will not jump ahead of the normal post .All post is dealt with in date order and that includes emails.It put people sending normal post at an unfair disadvantage.

What department wrote to you from Newcastle? Any post regardless of office area should have a BX9 postcode.Unless poss from DMB or Agent Authorisation Team.

If you NIB (state pension) and other income is below your PA then you shouldn't have a tax bill.

2 minutes ago, Davyo said:

If you send an email to HMRC it will not jump ahead of the normal post .All post is dealt with in date order and that includes emails.It put people sending normal post at an unfair disadvantage.

What department wrote to you from Newcastle? Any post regardless of office area should have a BX9 postcode.Unless poss from DMB or Agent Authorisation Team.

If you NIB (state pension) and other income is below your PA then you shouldn't have a tax bill.

Thank you post code is NE98 1ZZ

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of mess are HMRC in.  This week I received an e mail from them, telling me first of all I had opted to receive messages by e mail.  I was informed that my PAYE income tax records have recently changed.  This I find rather odd as the last time I was PAYE was in 1978,   March to be precise and have been self employed or share fisherman ever since, until retirement which is 14 years ago.  The mind boggles!  The annoying thing is there is no direct way to respond to this message.

Blackpowder

37 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

What kind of mess are HMRC in.  This week I received an e mail from them, telling me first of all I had opted to receive messages by e mail.  I was informed that my PAYE income tax records have recently changed.  This I find rather odd as the last time I was PAYE was in 1978,   March to be precise and have been self employed or share fisherman ever since, until retirement which is 14 years ago.  The mind boggles!  The annoying thing is there is no direct way to respond to this message.

Blackpowder

Don't respond. It could be a scam email.

Ring HMRC 

5 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Blackpowder

HMRC should not email you that sort of thing, particularly if you've had no contact with them recently.

Worth a call just to check. Do not click on any links in the email.

I get `tax rebate due` emails and all they need is my bank details. 😂

Get's reported and goes in junk.

It’s all online now, I have a personal tax account on government website. 

They sent me an email that they owed me £740, logged into my personal tax account online, totally unconnected to the letter and it said the same. Entered my bank account details and a week later they had paid £740 into my current account. 

Bought myself a nice Remington 870 Wingmaster :) 

If you have a PTA (personal  tax accout) and elect to go paperless they you may rec emails regarding PAYE changes.This time of year it would usually be due to the annual coding run in preparation for new tax yr commencing 06/4/20.

Even if you dont work or have a occupation or private pension, you may still get a notification.This would usually be to inform you of your PA (personal allowance) for the coming year 20/21.

If you receive an email you feel to be fraudulent then pass it on to phishing@hmrc.gov.uk then delete it.It is also advisable that you run anti virus software if you have opened any attachments.

Please also note HMRC would not ask for any Bank details or personal info via email.As Lloyd90 states everything  should be done through the PTA moving forward.You dont have to be working to register for a PTA.

Edited by Davyo

Thanks Davyo the e mail did not ask for any details it was merely a notification of change.   I dont have an income, and my private pension is under £40 a month already as I wrote earlier I have had notification that I no longer need to complete an on line return, then later a  tax bill which took no account of personal allowances.

Blackpowder

52 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Thanks Davyo the e mail did not ask for any details it was merely a notification of change.   I dont have an income, and my private pension is under £40 a month already as I wrote earlier I have had notification that I no longer need to complete an on line return, then later a  tax bill which took no account of personal allowances.

Blackpowder

If you don't have any LFP's (late filing penalties) or LPP's (late payment penalties) form you old SA record, id speak with HMRC on 03002003100 SA or 03002003300 PAYE. There are loads of scams at the moment claiming to be HMRC making threats regarding dept recovery  do we all need to be careful.Scams also include repayments and try and get you to disclose personal information including bank details. 

We must remember that bogus callers
  • aim to deceive us into disclosing the personal information we hold
  • are very good at what they do and are extremely persuasive
  • have extensive knowledge of our business and information systems
  • often claim to be calling from within HMRC or from another Government Department
  • will adopt a friendly approach to try and put us at ease and gain our co-operation
  • are trained to manipulate our culture of helpfulness and co-operation so that we may casually give information away
  • may already have a lot of details about a customer and could be trying to obtain just a small item of information from us which we may think is insignificant.
  • Simply confirming or denying something can provide confidential information to a bogus caller