Split

Farmboy91

17 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Clamp and glue. I'd be inclined to drill 2 holes about the thickness of a match head and glue 2 matches in there as well, used as pins. 

I presume this is that 410 that's a project? 

Should I drill all the way through? 

Yeah that's the one, was planning on oiling tomorrow so this has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

A pin across the join gives more glue surface as well as adding mechanical strength.  You could make a feature of it by using contrasting wood all the way through or, try to make it invisible.

In any case gently spring the crack so you can get as much glue surface exposed as possible.

Cheers, I made a bit of a mess of it in the end, the first hole i drilled was a smidge to big so I had to stick a small bolt in, which then obstructed the stock bolt. By the time I actually checked it was this morning ( having done it yesterday) it was set solid, so I ended up drilling it out and re-filling it.

Lesson learned the hard way.

I did slide a knife in and scraped a bit of the old stuff out and then pushed as much glue as I could.

Im hoping now I'll loose much of what I've done with the Alkanet oil. 

I would put a clamp across the closed end of the crack so that when opening it up you do not end up with two stocks!

pinning AND gluing would provide a lot more strength than glue alone...but some of the newer wood glues are very strong.  I think @team tractor would be the best on glues having seen some of his work on here ( but as I am fairly new on here I do not know other people's backgrounds!....there may even be a Glue Guru )

9 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I would put a clamp across the closed end of the crack so that when opening it up you do not end up with two stocks!

pinning AND gluing would provide a lot more strength than glue alone...but some of the newer wood glues are very strong.  I think @team tractor would be the best on glues having seen some of his work on here ( but as I am fairly new on here I do not know other people's backgrounds!....there may even be a Glue Guru )

I just use polyurethane expanding glue on everything 👍and clamp . It expands into all the cracks and is super strong. 

I had been using gorilla glue, I let the clamp of this morning and it hasn't come back apart yet. I pinned it with a match as strimmer suggested. As it's only a .410 with 2 1/2" chambers I don't think big loads opening it back up will be a problem 😂 

I will give that expanding glue a look when I've run out though, thanks 👍 

I didn't have much room to play with when it came to clamping as the stock is so small and I've got no small clamps.

Edited by Farmboy91

This is what I use as within a hour or 2 I can usually start working on the project again. 

Remember if working on a nice surface to dampen it slightly 

Screenshot_20200206_213517_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Or a rip off of gorilla called gator glue. 

Just to add, all mine go hard on the top as I don't use it sometimes for a few months. Don't think it can really be avoided 

I store all mine upside down. Got a piece of wood under the bench with 6 2" hole in it and all glue bottles stand upside down in it as I'm sick of  getting the glue bottle and it's like concrete inside

i like the polyurethane glue in the cartridges that go in a sealant gun, very controllable

58 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

This is what I use as within a hour or 2 I can usually start working on the project again. 

Remember if working on a nice surface to dampen it slightly 

Screenshot_20200206_213517_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Or a rip off of gorilla called gator glue. 

Just to add, all mine go hard on the top as I don't use it sometimes for a few months. Don't think it can really be avoided 

Thanks that's a good size tub for that price, I'll give that a look too when I'm out of gorilla 👍

42 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I store all mine upside down. Got a piece of wood under the bench with 6 2" hole in it and all glue bottles stand upside down in it as I'm sick of  getting the glue bottle and it's like concrete inside

i like the polyurethane glue in the cartridges that go in a sealant gun, very controllable

All the new bits I've brought I've started storing upside down for that reason, that's a good idea though. 

If it's just a cheapy a nice bow across the crack in contrasting wood. If you look online there are some stunning ones of birds and butterflies etc. Could glue the crack squeeze together and cut one of these in to strengthen and make a feature of it.

179421c7f7801cdf58a95932227ca8d2.jpg

Edited by figgy

8 minutes ago, figgy said:

If it's just a cheapy a nice bow across the crack in contrasting wood. If you look online there are some stunning ones of birds and butterflies etc. Could glue the crack squeeze together and cut one of these in to strengthen and make a feature of it.

179421c7f7801cdf58a95932227ca8d2.jpg

Thanks for the idea figgy, the stocks so thin at that point im not sure id get something like that on there.

I re-pinned and re-filled the crack and it's been drying in ten garage all weekend, going to give it a rub down tomorrow and see how it looks.