Jump to content

Trout season 2020 catch reports


Recommended Posts

Oh how I wish I was just 10yrs younger, I would be up for that. I saw it listed and thought how the little split cane rod and a #2 line would sneek into those brambles etc.

Real fishing that.  2007 I went down to London and recieved an accolade and award for the work done on a small river which I bet is not dissimilar to yours. I had spent some seven years working on it with the aid of experts from the WTT and EA and also from a small band of our own members and seeing the wild trout returns go up and up.   I have not fished it for a number of years now but still have an honorary membship.     Seeing a small river blossom again cannot be described and at the moment it is topping it's banks and I hope the timbers I put in back then will hold and redistribute the gravels to provide further spawning beds for those wild trout.

Edited by Walker570
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished chigborough today early from 7am-12 . Was pretty hard to figure out what they wanted . Started off with a mini zonker on point and a buzzer on the 4 weight and first cast just letting it drift around static took my first fish of the day.  Then it was 3 hours till we got another this time my girlfriend fishing a single buzzer under the bung . We were seeing fish just under the surface I tried the washing line with heavy and light buzzers while she continued with a single buzzer about 18 inches under the bung  . She missed one more and I never had a touch . We moved onto the bigger lake . Home water (16acres ) and after chatting to a very nice chap who was just leaving who had had 5 fish and pointed us in a good spot . I set up with a blue hothead black blue flash damsel and after trying counts down to 20 I got my first tug then another and another but wouldn't lock up. It took 3 casts with a 20 second count to finally hook up and land my second fish . Then I let my girlfriend use my rod and she missed a take and the fish moved back up in the water column as next fish came to 5 second count this time on a red hit head black red flash damsel . Then we put on a barbless version as was fishing two fish plus catch and release and in 2 more casts landed 2 fish . One each then I lost one more before it was time to go . And enjoyable few hours fishing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

Fished chigborough today early from 7am-12 . Was pretty hard to figure out what they wanted . Started off with a mini zonker on point and a buzzer on the 4 weight and first cast just letting it drift around static took my first fish of the day.  Then it was 3 hours till we got another this time my girlfriend fishing a single buzzer under the bung . We were seeing fish just under the surface I tried the washing line with heavy and light buzzers while she continued with a single buzzer about 18 inches under the bung  . She missed one more and I never had a touch . We moved onto the bigger lake . Home water (16acres ) and after chatting to a very nice chap who was just leaving who had had 5 fish and pointed us in a good spot . I set up with a blue hothead black blue flash damsel and after trying counts down to 20 I got my first tug then another and another but wouldn't lock up. It took 3 casts with a 20 second count to finally hook up and land my second fish . Then I let my girlfriend use my rod and she missed a take and the fish moved back up in the water column as next fish came to 5 second count this time on a red hit head black red flash damsel . Then we put on a barbless version as was fishing two fish plus catch and release and in 2 more casts landed 2 fish . One each then I lost one more before it was time to go . And enjoyable few hours fishing 

I'll have to get back down there - My Brother In Law said it had been fishing well recently

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well was windy down at chigborough this morning started off on the bigger lake (home water ) . I started off with a floater with a blob on point as a attractor and a buzzer on the dropper and my girlfriend started with a Hoover line and a small blue damsel first 20 minutes produced nothing.  So I switched to the Hoover line and my girlfriend went to the bung with a buzzer.  Another 30 minutes and nothing counting down flies and not a touch.  With nothing risings went to a.di3 and second cast first fish of the day in the bag,  had several more nips and tugs but was another hour and several spot changes before I finally managed to get another 2 on the di3 . My girlfriend lost one then landed one on the tungsten headed damsel then quiet again had some follows but finally managed one more to a buzzer . So not bad few hours 5 fish landed  2 lost and several tugs and pulls 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/02/2020 at 16:37, Teal said:

I've put a day fishing up on my local brook, in the WTT auction - https://www.wildtrout.org/auction/1-day-for-two-rods-fishing-the-wellow-brook

It's tricky wild fishing, on a fairly overgrown stream, the fish aren't big but are lovely condition. The WTT have given us a lot of guidance over the past few years with in-stream management, with a pollution incident (from a tsunami of slurry) nearly wiping our section out completely in 2013 - http://www.bathangling.co.uk/tsunami-of-slurry-kills-fish-after-pouring-into-river-near-bath/

I hope the winning bidder enjoys the day, although if it goes for much more than the guide price I will probably include a pub or riverside lunch. As our annual subs are only £130. But it is for a good cause!

Sean Leonard is a bloody good egg. A true gent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I blanked 🙈🙈 I tried everything I fished from floater to a di5 , tried each line 4 times, went up and down the water level,  slow retrieve , fast retrieve , roly poly,  nymphs , buzzers,  snakes , lures everything.  Think I tried 50 flies in total . Had 2 pulls and 2 follows all day . One follow was a biggie at least double figure I would say who opened its mouth at my fly then turned away last second . I did manage about a 8oz pike though 😂😂 my dad had 4 . 1 to drifting mini lures under the bung and 1 to dead drifting a lure without the bung and 2 to pulling . One was on his last cast of the day reeling in and he caught a 12lb 2oz rainbow 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

Well I blanked 🙈🙈 I tried everything I fished from floater to a di5 , tried each line 4 times, went up and down the water level,  slow retrieve , fast retrieve , roly poly,  nymphs , buzzers,  snakes , lures everything.  Think I tried 50 flies in total . Had 2 pulls and 2 follows all day . One follow was a biggie at least double figure I would say who opened its mouth at my fly then turned away last second . I did manage about a 8oz pike though 😂😂 my dad had 4 . 1 to drifting mini lures under the bung and 1 to dead drifting a lure without the bung and 2 to pulling . One was on his last cast of the day reeling in and he caught a 12lb 2oz rainbow 

hello, was that on Bushyleaze lake or the big fish lake by Tims house ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, ok, i have only fished that lake once as a guest, but sometimes both lakes can be very  difficult not sure why, maybe the weather or ??? i might join a small club this year, its a nice lake with good fish but can be difficult through the summer months, late season can be good fishing, starts end of month, its not expensive and will be some where to do some trout fishing

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferret664 said:

Well I blanked 🙈🙈 I tried everything I fished from floater to a di5 , tried each line 4 times, went up and down the water level,  slow retrieve , fast retrieve , roly poly,  nymphs , buzzers,  snakes , lures everything.  Think I tried 50 flies in total . Had 2 pulls and 2 follows all day . One follow was a biggie at least double figure I would say who opened its mouth at my fly then turned away last second . I did manage about a 8oz pike though 😂😂 my dad had 4 . 1 to drifting mini lures under the bung and 1 to dead drifting a lure without the bung and 2 to pulling . One was on his last cast of the day reeling in and he caught a 12lb 2oz rainbow 

Been there and done that!! You could see the fish all day, but just not interested in anything - It's a lot of money to pay to blank 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's strange sometimes but that's fishing . I will stick to my reseviors fishing.  Fishing Grafham Sunday so will be happier drifting on a boat fishing with a team of flies rather then just a single one . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

It's strange sometimes but that's fishing . I will stick to my reseviors fishing.  Fishing Grafham Sunday so will be happier drifting on a boat fishing with a team of flies rather then just a single one . 

Wish I could manage a team - Get into an absolute tangle every time and can't seem to get it right - Even a team of two!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Wish I could manage a team - Get into an absolute tangle every time and can't seem to get it right - Even a team of two!! 

What length leader do you fish ? If you struggle maybe just a 12 foot leader with 2 flies spaced 6 feet apart ? Or have a lesson with a casting instructor?  I self taught myslef to cast and after much practice over the years can manage a 22 foot leader with 4 flies if I need to if the fish are deep and I want to reach them with buzzers but generally stick to 18foot with 3 flies 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t usually go out this early but so much bad weather recently and a good forecast changed my mind. Had my first day in the Pentland hills, just me the sheep and grouse at Loganlea. Hard going as expected but one rainbow of 1.5lb returned as it was a dark fish.

DD3C3E2F-3164-4572-B168-75D4202647C5.jpeg

EF3325D2-43B5-48D2-B35E-38724B2F0FE1.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Don’t usually go out this early but so much bad weather recently and a good forecast changed my mind. Had my first day in the Pentland hills, just me the sheep and grouse at Loganlea. Hard going as expected but one rainbow of 1.5lb returned as it was a dark fish.

DD3C3E2F-3164-4572-B168-75D4202647C5.jpeg

EF3325D2-43B5-48D2-B35E-38724B2F0FE1.jpeg

That is a truly beautiful place to spend a days fishing 👍🐟

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, that looks a super place to spend a day.  Another good water to fish is Lake Vyrnwy in Wales. Fishing from a boat, the amazing thing is that almost all the fish are within a couple of yards of the bank as the banks fall away into the deeps at a sharp angle.  Used to be a fair few wild browns up there as well.  Take a rest with lunch and a pint at the hotel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Agreed, that looks a super place to spend a day.  Another good water to fish is Lake Vyrnwy in Wales. Fishing from a boat, the amazing thing is that almost all the fish are within a couple of yards of the bank as the banks fall away into the deeps at a sharp angle.  Used to be a fair few wild browns up there as well.  Take a rest with lunch and a pint at the hotel.

Yes it’s a fantastic spot. I usually go midweek when it is quiet. A boat and electric motor in May and June when the fish are on the top and come to the dry is fabulous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Agreed, that looks a super place to spend a day.  Another good water to fish is Lake Vyrnwy in Wales. Fishing from a boat, the amazing thing is that almost all the fish are within a couple of yards of the bank as the banks fall away into the deeps at a sharp angle.  Used to be a fair few wild browns up there as well.  Take a rest with lunch and a pint at the hotel.

Do you still have to haul a battery about 1/2 mile  ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Didn't have that problem but it is maybe 7 or 8 yrs since I last fished there.

Bit more than that for me. It was the humping of the battery and gear from the car park to the boat dock that stopped me from going again. I am some 20 years older now too  !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...