Boundary issue

scolopax

I can't offer any legal advice but I would suggest logging every action/interaction/conversation. 

i.e - note when the gatepost was removed and what was said (or not said).

A cheap CCTV camera recording 24/7 aimed at the boundary might help you record anything they do that they subsequently deny/dispute.

As difficult as it may be, try to remain civil and ensure that you stay within the Law.

I would have suggested that you start off by talking to them about it, but the fact that they've just removed your gatepost without notification suggests that you might be past that point.

Good luck with it.

Been through similar and I used my House insurance as it offerd free legal advice on boundary disputes. It cost me nothing for surveyors and legal fees and I ended up with a 2m extension down the side of my house on the ********** neighbors side.

Edited by bear-uk

I had a boundary issue and one set of deeds and plans showed in my favour and another set were inconclusive yet all the fences of three bordering property have fences on their side of the hedge. All run in line, my deeds showed boundary was 3' past centre far side of hedge. Which concurred with how their fences ran.

After taking advice was told in disputes they would take the boundary as being straight through the middle of the hedge as this had been the existing boundary for long enough. As I'm not removing the hedge i.let sleeping dogs lie.

See a legal eagle, it could get expensive. Or go see your neighbors and ask to sit down and look at the deeds.  There may have been agreements over boundary after his deeds. Or they may stand as is on his deeds but see for yourself.

Brother and sister in law has to take down a fence along the drive as previous owner had encroached on neighbour, new owner realised and acted upon this.

All resolved now, I went to see him after speaking on the phone to a gent of a solicitor.  In the mean time he had reinstated the steel post so all the indications were he knew he had pushed it too far. We reached a compromise we were both satisfied with.

solicitors advise was #1 do not go down legal route, no winners except lawyer. #2. For older properties like ours with an established green hedge the boundary is defined as midpoint of that hedgerow, this supersedes any measurements in the deeds etc unless there is additional proof the hedge was initially planted within one parties boundary. Ie law assume hedge is planted on the boundary not to one side or other.

the solicitor chap gave me ten minutes of his (telephone) time for free to answer my questions even though I was not a current client

Edited by scolopax

7 minutes ago, scolopax said:

All resolved now, I went to see him after speaking on the phone to a gent of a solicitor.  In the mean time he had reinstated the steel post so all the indications were he knew he had pushed it too far. We reached a compromise we were both satisfied with.

solicitors advise was #1 do not go down legal route, no winners except lawyer. #2. For older properties like ours with an established green hedge the boundary is defined as midpoint of that hedgerow, this supersedes any measurements in the deeds etc unless there is additional proof the hedge was initially planted within one parties boundary. Ie law assume hedge is planted on the boundary not to one side or other.

the solicitor chap gave me ten minutes of his (telephone) time for free to answer my questions even though I was not a current client

Great, good to see you found a sensible Lawyer, he knows you will go to him next time!:good: