Fiscal and monetary stimulus measures

grrclark

Having watched yet another unprecedented and exceptional round of measures by the government to try and shore up the economy, knowing that is taking place all across the world it strikes me that this virus crisis is going to re-write every economic text book and the effect of it will be felt for the next 50 years.

Everyday another part of the story unfolds that i cannot think anyone could have predicted or considered as ever going to happen.

I would far rather be reading about it in history books rather than living through it, but it is fascinating in the extreme.

In the hospital they are throwing money at us like never before. 

Money won’t be an issue, staff shortages, logistics and lack of medicines is going to be an issue. 

I must say I think the Government are doing a good job in these trying times. I’m amazed at the speed some of this emergency legislation has been produced. 

The effects of this is going to go on for generations to come. The national debt is going to be enormous now, but I think they are trying to do anything they can just to keep our heads above water. 

I can’t even begin to imagine what’s happening in other not so well off countries. 

The war chests are cracked open and we are laying bets on the recovery. 

If this keeps hundreds of thousands of people in jobs that should happen quicker than being out of work, relying of benefits and an uneven growth out the other side of this, this may just work. 

It’s not so much a gamble as a necessity, the question is what it will look like when we come out the other side.

The economy needed a correction, in many ways we didn’t go far enough in 2008 because we didn’t have to and it was primarily a problem in banking and monetary policy.

This is a fiscal (cash) problem impacting on every aspect and the outcome of this has to be a massive correction.

Dont get me wrong, it's a necessary gamble, but still one that requires a decent recovery for it not to cripple the economy. 

Will be interesting to see what the markets make of it. Germany I think was thinking similar - covering 75% of workers wages but I don't think they pulled the trigger on that yet. 

Will be interesting to see if this will end up being the first steps to Universal income... 

15 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, anyone know what financial help the Government will give to the self employed ? husband  and wife i know run a cleaning business together, most private houses, all their clients have stopped the work.

It really all depends on how they pay themselves in their business.

I also expect by this time next week there will be further options available to them.

The world governments have likely already agreed to pay for this through very long term bonds, printing money off the back of those bonds. It's all funny money anyway, gives a fine excuse to crank up interest rates in the long term. Every country is screwed financially over this one, it'll be seen as a  historic reset of the financial system. 2008 was a puppy dog by the numbers going into this.

Strange this thread should arise, I for one thinking this event will redefine the global economy for generations. I decided tonight to buy some physical gold as a hedge.Everywhere is completely sold out!! Says a great deal.

Get ready and get those Gold bars and Bitcoins loaded.

Edited by zipdog