Squirrel Feeder in the Garden

Drummer70

Steel plate is easy and cheap, post-lockdown would go to a fabricators and ask for an off cut FOC. 10mm is commonly welded onto beams to provide additional bearing, you may be able to find 5mm too. The squirrel should be the primary target and contain the pellet thus minimal noise, the steel mops up anyway wayward shots or over penetration. Minimum of 300x300mm should be acceptable if shooting from a stable rest, I would personally use an 9mm OSB board (painted to match) screwed over the neighbouring fence panels to slow any misfires etc as an emergency measure. The steel and feeder would be no higher than say 3ft off the ground or extend the backstop upwards above the line of the fence. If you are zeroing the rifle I would use an old phone book in front of the steel to catch pellets quietly. 

The fence and boundary are still a concern in your set up, personally I would still feel much more comfortable if the feeder was sat on the deck with some 2x3’ concrete flags sat behind it and an elevated firing position. 

Edited by WalkedUp

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Steel plate is easy and cheap, post-lockdown would go to a fabricators and ask for an off cut FOC.

Fair play if you have a fabricator near you who gives out off cuts for free. 

I did manage to get steel delivered last week, but of course I had to pay real money for it.  Social distancing no problem if you're carry one end of a 7.5m piece of box section and the driver the other!

21 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Fair play if you have a fabricator near you who gives out off cuts for free. 

I did manage to get steel delivered last week, but of course I had to pay real money for it.  Social distancing no problem if you're carry one end of a 7.5m piece of box section and the driver the other!

My door stop is an off cut of UB, the wind struggles to move it 🤣 We could get entire steel frames supplied and installed FOC by eager fabricators (previously offered to us) who would like to be recommended to our clients and contractors. However professionally we do not accept freebies of value as we refuse to be put into someone’s debt. 

Edited by WalkedUp

2 hours ago, Drummer70 said:

I did think of that but the slate fence would provide a springboard to the cat. 

I think I’m going to get a steel plate and fix it behind the post. My neighbour is quite happy with what I’m doing, especially when I showed her were the rats were living between my fence and her garage. 

Right practicalities, cost of a cheap sheet of steel? Would 5mm thick be too thin? 

EDIT: Yeah, good point about moving it across to the next post, I’d have the added security of the garage behind the fence. 

Is the wrong answer, this is a wind up?

What is the attraction of shooting on a boundary, why increase any risk and involve anyone else? 

Move the feeder and leave the birds alone

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Steel plate is easy and cheap, post-lockdown would go to a fabricators and ask for an off cut FOC. 10mm is commonly welded onto beams to provide additional bearing, you may be able to find 5mm too. The squirrel should be the primary target and contain the pellet thus minimal noise, the steel mops up anyway wayward shots or over penetration. Minimum of 300x300mm should be acceptable if shooting from a stable rest, I would personally use an 9mm OSB board (painted to match) screwed over the neighbouring fence panels to slow any misfires etc as an emergency measure. The steel and feeder would be no higher than say 3ft off the ground or extend the backstop upwards above the line of the fence. If you are zeroing the rifle I would use an old phone book in front of the steel to catch pellets quietly. 

The fence and boundary are still a concern in your set up, personally I would still feel much more comfortable if the feeder was sat on the deck with some 2x3’ concrete flags sat behind it and an elevated firing position. 

A thick piece of old carpet just hung loosely behind the impact area would also stop any 12ft lb pellet and there would be no ricos.

1 hour ago, old man said:

Is the wrong answer, this is a wind up?

What is the attraction of shooting on a boundary, why increase any risk and involve anyone else? 

Move the feeder and leave the birds alone

You sound like my old man, old man. 

Advice duly noted.