blackbird

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Although I have hit my fair share of wildlife on the approach- gets a bit messy or expensive 

What was the biggest?

Which one caused the biggest ‘brown pants’ moment (if different)? 

Just now, AVB said:

What was the biggest?

Which one caused the biggest ‘brown pants’ moment (if different)? 

Owl ( that was most surprising one as normally with most bird strikes you get a fleeting glimpse and warning- at night it’s different of course and so the bang on the windshield was obviously unexpected. Back then we were always asked to help the CAA with identifying the location/timings/altitude and type for research into ‘patterns’. I duly remove some remains from under the wiper and place in the flight document envelope with the occurrence reporting form. It made its way back to our Ops who freaked and thought we were playing a sick joke on them and duly binned the remains) 

One large hawk in Gothenburg left a nice smell through the airco as it was infested.

Other than that it’s usually Gulls/ starlings/ pigeons and that sort of size. 
Have had multiple strikes with over twenty strikes once.

Biggest “one that got away” was a fox ( no, not a flying fox) at Exeter one night. Just at touchdown I noted from the corner of my eye a fox dart across the runway, his face lit up in the landing lights and the reaction was like a scooby doo scrabbling to stop and reverse direction- he somehow went between the port then starboard engines between the gear ( turbo prop that time).

Theres many more in the past 30 years. 

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Slightly different subject, but when I worked for Eurostar a train rolled into North Pole depot with a deer half in / half out of the nose cone.

PS - we need Ditchy on this thread!

Old friend of mine worked on a train maintenance crew- not pretty some of the remains they saw. 

14 hours ago, markm said:

Judgemental..... oh the irony.

The guy is supposed to be a teacher and then attacks someone in a very belittling manner due to grammar without even knowing there personal circumstances. For all he knew he could have had a learning difficulty. I'm glad he's not teaching my children.

7 hours ago, Jaymo said:

did you not also say that you have carried out the once weekly supermarket shop and then ‘topped up’- but to me it’s each to their own. 

Only if there's no que, I'm not waiting around for a loaf, I want to be in and out, wham bam thank you mama.