Hidden agenda?

1 minute ago, London Best said:

In fact, I’m not sure it should be allowed!

I was just about to empathise and agree with you on your last post until you posted that twaddle! 
Unless your game birds are going into a food chaIn other than your own, there’s no need to ever stop  using lead for as long as it’s legal, as long as there are lead trap cartridges.

I’ll probably stockpile a fair amount of lead with the same thing in mind, towards the end of the voluntary phase out....if it ever happens. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

I was just about to empathise and agree with you on your last post until you posted that twaddle! 
Unless your game birds are going into a food chaIn other than your own, there’s no need to ever stop  using lead for as long as it’s legal, as long as there are lead trap cartridges.

I’ll probably stockpile a fair amount of lead with the same thing in mind, towards the end of the voluntary phase out....if it ever happens. 

Gotcha!  

My last remark was tongue in cheek and posted specifically to generate responses.

14 minutes ago, fallowbuck said:

I’ve done a lot of big shoots working my dogs and it is changing,  see more OUs all the time.Ive seen them out performed by good S/S shots many times though.

Actually, fallowbuck, I have noticed more SxS being used this last two seasons thanI have seen for over twenty years.

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Commonly known as trolling. 
If you’d used an emoji to signify as such I’d believe you. 🧐

Sorry, Scully, I have no idea what an emoji is.

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

The guidance sugested / sugested guidance . As sugested BY. Its not law cary on as you can. just interested to know  WHY. you can so . Now we know.

I can not see me buying any more lead not in 12 anyway.  I Use steel for pigeons "Hawk Feed" and I am geared up for steel in wildfowling powders i have and plenty of shot. I only have a few kilo of big lead and thats dwindling now. I think i am done with lead.

Its not the shot at all thats a problem for me, its wads. But as you chose to shoot lead i think i will have to use plaswads because i have lots and although i am sure allternatives will be available in a relatively short time, its not going to happen before this season. i am loaded 10 12s and 20s in several different shot types for the season. I will just start working on Amended loads as wads become available. I have some card cups for 10ga i might play with, just had some given last week just 25 but will do for a dabble, but think, it best not to put too much time and money into this yet. because as wads become available it will be money /time wasted as such.

I do not see a problem with steel. short term its not ideal but from a wad point of view not a baLISTICS ONE.

It would appear that I do less damage to the environment with my lead shot  than you with your plastic wads.  I have seen first hand the damage that plastic wads can do, but I have waited for 20 odd years to see some evidence of the alleged mass slaughter that lead shot is causing, including to humans.  I stopped using plastic wads in the field, prior to the lead ban on wildfowl and waders. It was a days decoying over laid barley that sealed it for me. I went back after the after harvest to clean up what I could. When the lead shot ban came in, I stopped shooting wildfowl after some early experiments with 'alternatives'.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Other than in the steel loaded cartridges that I have used for wildfowl I have never knowingly bought a plastic wadded 12 gauge cartridge for use in the field in my life.

Nor have I, the cartridges were provided by the Farmer for my use. 500 Eley GP plastic wads. As I was clearing up and picking the odd runner with the dog, I could see the mess that the wads had left. That is why I went back after harvest and cleaned up what I could. Rather than use plastic wads, I gave up shooting duck and my marsh days were well and truly over.