My trip to London today 21.07.20

Mungler

Zero tourists and little open???? 

Dunno which West end you went to but as someone who works there everyday I think you're painting a rather bleak picture. Yes it's quieter than usual but more and more is opening and getting busier and busier. The majority of shops are open, people are about and believe it or not there are even tourists!! 

Maybe I just see a glass half full but don't let me stop you talking down Britain PLC. It's not yet like it was, but compared to 2 months ago with tumbleweed rolling down Oxford St it's positively bustling. Give it a few months and a little POSITIVE attitude and who knows. 

14 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Zero tourists and little open???? 

Dunno which West end you went to but as someone who works there everyday I think you're painting a rather bleak picture. Yes it's quieter than usual but more and more is opening and getting busier and busier. The majority of shops are open, people are about and believe it or not there are even tourists!! 

Maybe I just see a glass half full but don't let me stop you talking down Britain PLC. It's not yet like it was, but compared to 2 months ago with tumbleweed rolling down Oxford St it's positively bustling. Give it a few months and a little POSITIVE attitude and who knows. 

That's my experience too, I've been travelling there a lot over the last 4-5 months for work (more often during the covid shutdown) and as you say things are almost back to normal, initially my 6 hour drive was down to just over 4 hours (to SW London) and not it's almost back to the 'normal' duration, when I'm there I've seen it change from everything open to stuggling to find a place to get a coffee and some food (with the exception of supermarkets) but recently things are pretty much back to normal, pub (or restaurant) for some food and nearly everywhere back up and running albeit with reduced numbers.

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've no idea what you do but that sounds horrendous,  I really hope it's not 6 hrs then a full days work on top??

I work in IT and have been setting up systems so that GPs could still access what they needed when isolating at home, usually it's travel in works time so no real problem and don't usually travel as often as I have been so can't complain, usually it's 4 hours (ish) from the North East to the Blackwall Tunnel and then 2 hours from their to SW London, when London was quiet that's where I saw the most differences in the journey.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/07/2020 at 09:10, Deker said:

That's my experience too, I've been travelling there a lot over the last 4-5 months for work (more often during the covid shutdown) and as you say things are almost back to normal, initially my 6 hour drive was down to just over 4 hours (to SW London) and not it's almost back to the 'normal' duration, when I'm there I've seen it change from everything open to stuggling to find a place to get a coffee and some food (with the exception of supermarkets) but recently things are pretty much back to normal, pub (or restaurant) for some food and nearly everywhere back up and running albeit with reduced numbers.

I drove to the West End today (St. James, Jermyn Street etc). First time I have been up there for a while. I used to work in the area so know it well and was shocked at how empty the place was. This time of year it was normally buzzing but was absolutely dead. Cant see the majority of these business lasting long which what they must be paying in rent & rates. 

On 14/08/2020 at 20:16, AVB said:

I drove to the West End today (St. James, Jermyn Street etc). First time I have been up there for a while. I used to work in the area so know it well and was shocked at how empty the place was. This time of year it was normally buzzing but was absolutely dead. Cant see the majority of these business lasting long which what they must be paying in rent & rates. 

After I wrote that I actually managed to get a full day off and have a wonder round London and yes a lot of the smaller places were closed, slightly off the tourist track seemed better with more independent places open.

I'm heading down again this week and will be going into Pall Mall on Saturday

I had to go into London today to have a meeting with a solicitor (I'm an executor for somebody who died). things seem close to being back to normal. Not that things will ever be completely normal again.

Lots of young men and women on the underground not wearing masks and social distancing is just non existent