EYE DOMINANCE

breadster50

Hi - I'm a newbie to PW but not a newbie to shooting. Been shooting clays since 1989 [ish].

I am shooting a standard R/H Browning 325 M/C 32" but I am left-master-eyed. I have always known this fact since I started but I soon became adept at ignoring the fact that my head was slighty "bent to the right" when shooting.

Over the years I have dabbled with DTL, became proficient at Sporting [which has always been my passion] but recently [Jan-07] I have started to dabble in SKEET shooting.

My sporting scores have always been "respectable" in the late 30's or 40's/50, at local shoots and game fairs so I have never really worried that much about my eye dominance !

However, recently I have hit the SKEET scene..... registered with the CPSA and started in B-Class. I have had some decent coaching from family and friends and some guys who really "know their game" and my scores have excelled to a current average of circa 95/100. Yes there are some low 90's and yes there are some high 90's at different registered events. My variation in scores is generally blamed on "Mother Nature" but each time I leave the shoot questioning myself asking "but where are you actually aiming?:lol:?"

Long story short - when i shoot registered events/english open/british open, my confidence is waining each time i raise the gun to my shoulder.

I bought an "Easy Hit" sight made especially for people like me....... I have never used it simply because my scores were "good", however, i am now questioning whether i should really get my gun fitted professionally, but if i do that, will I have to change the way I shoot, will my scores drop, will I lose interest etc etc etc.

Appreciate any insight you have. What should I do?

NB - shot today - 95/100. Missed stupid targets! Hit everything on the hardest pegs [4]..... I was thnking about "what I was doing" rather than "kill the target!"..... :lol:

:lol: "mixed up"

Fit a uni dot sight, problem sorted.

webber

.......thing is Webber, I do not actually use the bead of the gun, nor the rib.... I look into the field, my peripheral vision picks up the clay, i see nothing of beads etc from this point on and i pick up the clay, swing, shoot and there you have it.......

I seem to be a bit of a freak as i simply look in the sky and wherever i am looking, the barrels seem to be pointing.

I do not have my right eye looking down the rib at the bead...... I have BOTH eyes looking down past the barrels and into the sky..... aaggghhh I must have to do this so my left eye can kick in.....

I forgot to say..... I have both eyes open! :lol:

Should I just shut up and put-up? / get over it? Should i risk getting my 325 fitted, adjustable comb fitted, easy hit fitted and risk dropping scores? :lol:

Hi - I'm a newbie to PW but not a newbie to shooting. Been shooting clays since 1989 [ish].

I am shooting a standard R/H Browning 325 M/C 32" but I am left-master-eyed. I have always known this fact since I started but I soon became adept at ignoring the fact that my head was slighty "bent to the right" when shooting.

Over the years I have dabbled with DTL, became proficient at Sporting [which has always been my passion] but recently [Jan-07] I have started to dabble in SKEET shooting.

My sporting scores have always been "respectable" in the late 30's or 40's/50, at local shoots and game fairs so I have never really worried that much about my eye dominance !

However, recently I have hit the SKEET scene..... registered with the CPSA and started in B-Class. I have had some decent coaching from family and friends and some guys who really "know their game" and my scores have excelled to a current average of circa 95/100. Yes there are some low 90's and yes there are some high 90's at different registered events. My variation in scores is generally blamed on "Mother Nature" but each time I leave the shoot questioning myself asking "but where are you actually aiming?:rolleyes:?"

Long story short - when i shoot registered events/english open/british open, my confidence is waining each time i raise the gun to my shoulder.

I bought an "Easy Hit" sight made especially for people like me....... I have never used it simply because my scores were "good", however, i am now questioning whether i should really get my gun fitted professionally, but if i do that, will I have to change the way I shoot, will my scores drop, will I lose interest etc etc etc.

Appreciate any insight you have. What should I do?

NB - shot today - 95/100. Missed stupid targets! Hit everything on the hardest pegs [4]..... I was thnking about "what I was doing" rather than "kill the target!"..... :drinks:

:whistling: "mixed up"

Nout really wrong with your skill/ or technike then bud, But if you find you are having problems hitting fast left to right birds and sometimes know you are taking your face off the stock when pulling the trigger, then take it from me your combe is too low. Tape about a quarter of a inch on top of your combe and have a go, I had a new gun 12 months ago (same model as previous gun ) and other than the barrel lenth was a bit shorter, exactly the same as the one it was replacing straight away my average dropped from 77 to 80,s X100 to 60+ or- with the occasional 70,s coming up.! I lost all motivation blaming it on my eyesight, and my venerable age, then a AA shooter I know said what the++++ are you doing ? you daft old T---T that gun is miles too low in the combe get it fixed. he was right. If my comments seem to to echo your probs bud then check it out. cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest The Outlaw

I have a left eye problem as well so I got the easy hit bead. I dont look at it but I am aware it is there. It has helped. I shoot both eyes open but on some targets I find I need to half close the left one. Especially way out driven and DTL. Tony

I have a left eye problem as well so I got the easy hit bead. I dont look at it but I am aware it is there. It has helped. I shoot both eyes open but on some targets I find I need to half close the left one. Especially way out driven and DTL. Tony

I was thinking of buying a easy hit as i struggle with my eyes .. so they do help ?

Guest The Outlaw

Good score Breadster. I hope to see you out in the nationals one day. I shoot for Bucks and I have "The Outlaw" on my skeet vest and a squirrel tail hanging down at the back, have to show we dont all shoot clays only.

The Easy Hit just sits on the end of your barrel and if fitted properly you can only see it with the eye over the barrel. Dont look for it though or you will start bead watching and not the target. As long as you are aware of it it will help your eyes train the sighting one to be the master eye.

If you look on their website or give them a ring they will tell you of your nearest supplier. Contact him/her and ask to try the magnetic version they do for demos. You may have to pay a deposit on it but at least you can try before you by.

It could take a few shoots to get it working, but plenty of dry practice will help. I sorted my eye problem out in about 6 weeks and it was quite bad. Much better now though. My scores have improved because I dont worry about the eye thing. Tony

Breadster got 100 straight (Eng. Skeet) last Saturday!

Congratulations to Breadster that's an excellent achievement......well done that man. <_<:lol: :lol:

Was it a registered competition, if so get his form signed by the club and sent off to the 100 straight club......he'll get a nice badge to reward his hard work.

Breadster got 100 straight (Eng. Skeet) last Saturday!

Congratulations to Breadster that's an excellent achievement......well done that man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was it a registered competition, if so get his form signed by the club and sent off to the 100 straight club......he'll get a nice badge to reward his hard work.

I know of a "B"class shooter who did a 94 at the British Open Skeet this year, Jonsey wasn't quite so complimentary about that achievement, can't think why..?? <_<

Cat.

Many Thanks guys.

As Floating Chamber mentioned, an "Easyhit" full sporting sight was thrown on the end of my B325. I see the sight beautifully when i mount the gun in my "kill position" but dont see it again until i have shot [and hopefully killed] the first bird and am mounting ready for the next bird...... i guess its doing its job! :good: NB- i do shoot gun down but pre-mount in my kill position before swinging to my "hold" position where the gun is out of the shoulder! Can't be doing with this pre-mounted skeet shootin'! :good:

I have recently bought 2 teague "ported" invector chokes for the 325 - a"swine" to clean but mentally i feel more in control of the gun [even though i guess it does nothing to the muzzle flip on this 32" cannon!] :sick: Hay ho, it's all about the mental game..........

Yeah - thanks to you all fo the positive comments about my scores in practise - i hope to replicate / get as close as possible to them over the next few months at the Doveridge and Nottingham Winter Series'.

My next endeavour is regarding my comb. I do notice a difference in kill quality from right to left birds and left to righters. My right to left are decent powders that move to "decent" kills when the nerves kick in. My right to lefters are "decent" kills [with some powders] but become "more volatile" when the nerves kick in. Someone on this forum mentioned that it could be a comb height issue- especially with the righ-handed left-dominant-eye issue - any comments? It may well be worth the £150..... ?

Again - thanks to all for the supportive words [and my marketing executive - dad!] [Floating Chamber] :sick:

Guest The Outlaw

The easy hit is deffo helping. I have just started shooting skeet and DTL and I am averaging 91/92 in each I used to shoot a 325 28" with ported Teague chokes but have just changed to a 425 32" with the same chokes, 1/4 & 1/4 for skeet and 1/2 & 3/4 for DTL. With the help of the easyhit bead and a bit of practice I am hoping to be straight into "B" class on my first classification thingy. After 3 DTL's with the bead I just had my first ever 25 straight, just need to do it in skeet and I will be a happy teddy. Tony