Quick wood burner - what to flue?

Demonic69

Spent a couple of hours making myself a burner for the garden. We've just moved and the last house had artificial grass, now I can finally have a fire!

I'll probably grab some thinner steel to flange the door and I'll knock together a vent for it.

I've not got anything wide enough for the flue and steel seems bloody expensive, especially as the rest was pretty much free. I'll have to have a root around for something I can repurpose.

20210206_170044.jpg

20210206_171620.jpg

You live in Sheffield and cannot find some steel tube to do that job ..... we are going down the tubes for sure.

If you shoot you may have access to a farm, have a word and a rummage through his **** pile, they all have one. You might find what you need there.

I made as imilar set up and turned another gas bottle sieways above with about a foot of 4inch steel tube between, put a rack in the top one and have a small barbecue.

Chimney out of the side of that.    Also make the tube longer and you have a smoker.

39 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You live in Sheffield and cannot find some steel tube to do that job ..... we are going down the tubes for sure.

If you shoot you may have access to a farm, have a word and a rummage through his **** pile, they all have one. You might find what you need there.

I made as imilar set up and turned another gas bottle sieways above with about a foot of 4inch steel tube between, put a rack in the top one and have a small barbecue.

Chimney out of the side of that.    Also make the tube longer and you have a smoker.

I'm on the outskirts of Rotherham in a little village now. Still getting to know the locals well enough to go rummaging through their scrap piles 😁

I'm liking the BBQ design!

I used a old 4'' round post from a street sign as they had a skip at work from all the **** heads that keep hitting them. I cut it at about 3 foot. I also had a little plate on the side so I could keep the mug/pan/kettle warm. 

I drilled to many holes underneath and it turned into a furnace. Had to throw it, it had 4ft flames coming out the top, it was lethal 😂

56 minutes ago, shootthepigeon said:

I'll have a look around next week see what I can find that might do the job, failing that I'll pm you the details of a company in rotherham that will sort you a piece for a few quid.

Brilliant, thanks!

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yes. You need to have it full dampered Jut a 2 inch sliding damper would be perfect. I run mine on charxcoal, heat but very little flame.

I was thinking a sliding plate, about 1" high and about 3" long, reckon that would work?

5 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Spent a couple of hours making myself a burner for the garden. We've just moved and the last house had artificial grass, now I can finally have a fire!

I'll probably grab some thinner steel to flange the door and I'll knock together a vent for it.

I've not got anything wide enough for the flue and steel seems bloody expensive, especially as the rest was pretty much free. I'll have to have a root around for something I can repurpose.

20210206_170044.jpg

20210206_171620.jpg

If you have flat strip,  you could weld it into a square/hexagonal tube . It's a bit of a pain , but I've done it in the past. 

It's a shame that you live so far away , I have some 4" pipe that you could have , it's pretty heavy gauge so would probably cost a fortune to post .

23 minutes ago, markyboy07 said:

Im planning on making something similar, my mate has a load of old fire extinguishers that i was hoping to chop up and stick together for the flue. Not sure if they are suitable or if there is a safe way of removing the valve though. anyone ever dismantled an extinguisher before??

That's not a bad idea if they're safe enough!

I'll see if I have any 🤣

1 hour ago, markyboy07 said:

Im planning on making something similar, my mate has a load of old fire extinguishers that i was hoping to chop up and stick together for the flue. Not sure if they are suitable or if there is a safe way of removing the valve though. anyone ever dismantled an extinguisher before??

Only with a 150gr 308:yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 17:31, markyboy07 said:

.........., my mate has a load of old fire extinguishers that i was hoping to chop up and stick together for the flue. Not sure if they are suitable or if there is a safe way of removing the valve though. anyone ever dismantled an extinguisher before??

Depends on type. Water, Dry powder and Foam are inert inside the extinguisher,  nearly all will have a CO2 / Nitrogen gas cartridge affixed to the screw in handle valve head which activates the extinguisher when the security tab is broken and the plunger/handle pressed. 

If CO2 fire extinguisher, you can vent by loosening slowly in an open space, these are at about 60 bar at 20C and the CO2 is a liquid in the bottom with gas at he top an da dip tube inside the cylinder to the valve and horn.  Suggest discharge the thing outside, large open space and wear gloves (weld gloves should be fine) as you do not want to have it freeze dry your skin or stick fingers to the metal.

Dismantled and service a few years ago... all depends on type and age...... you can find most on line and see x-cross sections of them.

Just now, oscarsdad said:

Possibly a silly question, I have 2 empty patio gas bottles, how do you safety cut them open without blowing yourself up with the residual gas? 

Make sure they are completely empty, unscrew the valve on top, usually a 32-36mm spanner, put the hose pipe in and fill with water. Up to you if you leave it over night, I just cut them with the angle grinder as soon as its filled with water 

https://www.budget-fire.co.uk/foam-extinguishers/

Try and ID the types then most can be disassembled fairly easily and the contents disposed of, the handle/valve firing cartridge are normally a self contained sub assemble and simply screws out the the top.  Don't work hunched over the extinguisher top as if you have an accident and it blows off the handle/top it will rip your face to pieces. They are pretty easy to work with though.

CO2 simply discharge then strip, or use it to cool a few beers during discharge then strip.  

45 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Make sure they are completely empty, unscrew the valve on top, usually a 32-36mm spanner, put the hose pipe in and fill with water. Up to you if you leave it over night, I just cut them with the angle grinder as soon as its filled with water 

This is how I do the propane/butane bottles . I always fill , then empty them , twice , and I also put a splash of washing up liquid in the bottle on the first fill . I honestly have no idea if the washing up liquid helps , it just makes me feel better. 👍.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Fill them to overflowing with water as above , do it twice if it makes you feel safer.  I have cut three or four up using this system with no problems.

The reason that I do mine twice , is that when I filled the very first one with water  , then did it a second time , I could see a small amount of gas vapours still coming out on the second fill . I haven’t got the foggiest idea how it's still in there , but it definitely is . I use the washing up liquid to wash away the oily film that you get inside gas bottles , just in case the layer of oil was trapping gas in some way .

So far I haven’t killed myself 😅

I did see a video a while back , and some guy had knocked the valve off , and put a match to the gas that was escaping 😲😲😲. I won't be trying that method any time soon 😅

I filled mine with water, left it 2 days. Emptied it, filled and emptied again. Still smelled of gas so took it to a safe area and put a torch to it. Queue massive flame out the top and a loud roar for about a second. Brown trouser moment indeed!

Glad I checked though, would have been much worse if I'd been using the grinder at the time.

I wonder if washing up liquid would have helped? Does Butane behave differently to other gasses?