New mower recommendations

Pushkin

I have a cheap and cheerful Mountfield 100cc and also a bigger webb. Both self propelled. The Mountfield is easier to use, easier to start and has not missed a beat despite 10 years of neglect. It has a plastic deck so won't rot. I really can't fault it. I have there about 1/3rd of an acre also. 

Good to know, thanks. How much area does it mow, and what model do you have? Is it good at fiddly bits around paths and flowerbeds and stuff? I suppose it depends on how neatly you put the guide wires down...

28 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have a Honda ride on and a self powered honda wrx for the lawns here. Fed up of spending 6 hours a week cutting and can't afford the time taken out of my leisure so bought a Husqvarna robot, it's life changing. :good:No more concerns about what to do with a mountain of grass when I get back from a break. The thing will work day and night if asked. Saves a small fortune in fuel and never complains. Named him Hector. 

47 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have a Honda ride on and a self powered honda wrx for the lawns here. Fed up of spending 6 hours a week cutting and can't afford the time taken out of my leisure so bought a Husqvarna robot, it's life changing. :good:No more concerns about what to do with a mountain of grass when I get back from a break. The thing will work day and night if asked. Saves a small fortune in fuel and never complains. Named him Hector. 

A mate of the brother in laws has one. Apparently the charging dock set on fire and the lawnmower saved itself by leaving the dock, he only realised when he got a notification saying it was low on battery.  

23 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Good to know, thanks. How much area does it mow, and what model do you have? Is it good at fiddly bits around paths and flowerbeds and stuff? I suppose it depends on how neatly you put the guide wires down...

Its a 450x and mowing about an acre. Lots of trees and beds and three connected lawn areas. I just had a new sewage treatment plant put in which cut the guide wire in a dozen places and the home wires (there are three of these) and had the wiring re-laid rather than repaired. It can be frustrating to see it leave a bit uncut and go on somewhere else but it will get it all in the end. 

7 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

A mate of the brother in laws has one. Apparently the charging dock set on fire and the lawnmower saved itself by leaving the dock, he only realised when he got a notification saying it was low on battery.  

He has his own house at the side of our bedroom 🤣 so he better not go up in flames :lol:

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

sithe or sickle    we called sheep lawnmowers on the farm     two on the front  lawn   outstanding     with good meat at the end 

We have sheep in the field  right by my house and the lambs are poking there heads though to nibble a bit of the grass  was think of letting a few in to sort it 😎😀 . There is nettle that grow from the field into my garden  and when it's been raining they love the nettles  think after the rain they must be sweeter. They also like pulling them out by the root and they stand there chewing them . Just like when we were kids chewing on hard toffee. 😀

On 28/05/2021 at 01:00, Pushkin said:

What can the PW massif come up with for best buy self propelled mower around about £200 t0 £250.  My old one is having a bit of a terminal episode just now.  Needs to be able to deal with 1/3 of an acre minimum, mixed lawn and scrubland.  I'm attracted to the Mountfield SP185 but have read some not so good review comments on it.  What do you think lads and lasses?

ALKO make some good quality mowers at reasonable prices

I bought one last spring and it is great it's a single speed self propelled with a Honda engine 

20" cut - Its used about 15 hrs a month.

Thanks everyone for ideas and suggestions.  I'll stick with my old mower for the rest of the year whilst saving my pennies for the new one.  In the meantime I'm awaiting a service kit that seems to include everything needed for not a lot of money..  Thanks to all far and wide:good:

Pushkin with the old push mower:lol: